F/A Contract Suggestions?

Then you screw the reserve person. The penalty is to the reserve who gets the 2 hour call out then, or the standby at the end of the shift getting in to the mind set of going home. It doesnt phase a scheduler, they do a couple of key strokes and call the next person on the list.

Maybe its just me, but the more time I could have before a trip the easier it is to deal with. I could take the worst trip loaded the night before and come in with a good mind set over getting called out 2 hours before, having to rush around and getting to the planes minutes before departure and then checking EQ and setting up a galley.

If I call in sick, its the day before and before reserve assignments are loaded.

First off, let me clarify my response. I know that the scheduler shouldn't care one bit when I or anyone else calls in sick. Second, if I am sick the day before prior to 1900, then I will call in sick. Third, I NEVER call in sick in the middle of the night, that is dumb. All that does is invite a middle of the night call to someone. If I think it might hurt a commuter, then I only call in around sign in. I don't think this hurts any reserve. It either is going to go to a standby, someone who has volunteered for a short call out or leave understaffed. Almost every flight out of IOR after X-Mas but before New Years will be atleast understaffed by one or more. People like the extra cash. If the person is on standby, then they are already on the clock. They just need to work for the money, instead of sleeping on the couch. In the end, I am trying to do my part to stop the 0300 call for 1920 departure and the short call out. I am trying to not inconveience anyone else because of my illness.

While we are talking about ‘penalties’. How about penalties for calling in less than 2 hours out?

I get in no more trouble and AA can't give a reserve a short callout. That is why standby's are scheduled. Kinda sucks, but at least my illness doesn't screw with someone else.

You wanna bet? Here is what happens when you call me at 2 hrs prior to dept and I do not have a SBY avalable to take your place (this happens quite often by the way). First, I go the the first RSV on the list and tell them I need them at the airport in 2 hours (NOT 3 HOURS). They #### and moan and I tell them that one of their co-workers just bombed in sick with no notice and they maybe their flt svc manager will give them your name so they can let you know how you just screwed them over. Next, since I know they will not make it in two hours and I will have to take a delay on your flight I start to look for someone else. Guess what, at this point I do not care who I find. The first person I fond who is signed in for their flight leaving an hour after your flight is IT. Line holder, MU, OE, II you name it. I will reassign them. It may be to their advantage or it may not. If I cannot find one of your co-workers who is leaving on a flight, I will find one who is coming in on flight and I will have to extend their day. Again, RSV great, if not a MU, OE, II, line holder I don't care. Oh by the way, seniority does not matter either, I will get the most junior on the flight I am reassigning from and I have done this to 3 and 4 digit seniority holders. Hey, maybe one day I will reassign you. Refuse, no problem, I'll issue a TM and go on the next person. I always find someone.

So, next time you call in sick 2 hours prior to departure, keep in mind all of your co-workers who may get screwed over because you are trying to screw me (or who ever it is you are convinced you are screwing). BTW, I don't care and no one else here does either. I sit here in a nice warm office, I work my 8 hours and I go home. I can disrupt the lives of all of the people mentioned above from the comfort of my chair. If the flight takes a delay, it takes a delay, but I can assure you that more times than not several peoples live will get disrupted because you decided to be selfish and thoughtless.

One more thing. I do not like doing what I mentioned above. I hate it. It is not fair to those whos lives I disrupt. They did nothing wrong other than show up to work like they are supposed to do. I do it because it is what I am paid to do. I don't like it but I will do it. Think of it this way IORFA, you give me job security. Yes it is a bit more challenging in INTL but the same concept applies.

First off, let me clarify my response. I know that the scheduler shouldn't care one bit when I or anyone else calls in sick. Second, if I am sick the day before prior to 1900, then I will call in sick. Third, I NEVER call in sick in the middle of the night, that is dumb. All that does is invite a middle of the night call to someone. If I think it might hurt a commuter, then I only call in around sign in. I don't think this hurts any reserve. It either is going to go to a standby, someone who has volunteered for a short call out or leave understaffed. Almost every flight out of IOR after X-Mas but before New Years will be atleast understaffed by one or more. People like the extra cash. If the person is on standby, then they are already on the clock. They just need to work for the money, instead of sleeping on the couch. In the end, I am trying to do my part to stop the 0300 call for 1920 departure and the short call out. I am trying to not inconveience anyone else because of my illness.

LOL. Try learning how we work up here. Try ALOT harder.

You wanna bet? Here is what happens when you call me at 2 hrs prior to dept and I do not have a SBY avalable to take your place (this happens quite often by the way). First, I go the the first RSV on the list and tell them I need them at the airport in 2 hours (NOT 3 HOURS). They #### and moan and I tell them that one of their co-workers just bombed in sick with no notice and they maybe their flt svc manager will give them your name so they can let you know how you just screwed them over. Next, since I know they will not make it in two hours and I will have to take a delay on your flight I start to look for someone else. Guess what, at this point I do not care who I find. The first person I fond who is signed in for their flight leaving an hour after your flight is IT. Line holder, MU, OE, II you name it. I will reassign them. It may be to their advantage or it may not. If I cannot find one of your co-workers who is leaving on a flight, I will find one who is coming in on flight and I will have to extend their day. Again, RSV great, if not a MU, OE, II, line holder I don't care. Oh by the way, seniority does not matter either, I will get the most junior on the flight I am reassigning from and I have done this to 3 and 4 digit seniority holders. Hey, maybe one day I will reassign you. Refuse, no problem, I'll issue a TM and go on the next person. I always find someone.

So, next time you call in sick 2 hours prior to departure, keep in mind all of your co-workers who may get screwed over because you are trying to screw me (or who ever it is you are convinced you are screwing). BTW, I don't care and no one else here does either. I sit here in a nice warm office, I work my 8 hours and I go home. I can disrupt the lives of all of the people mentioned above from the comfort of my chair. If the flight takes a delay, it takes a delay, but I can assure you that more times than not several peoples live will get disrupted because you decided to be selfish and thoughtless.

One more thing. I do not like doing what I mentioned above. I hate it. It is not fair to those whos lives I disrupt. They did nothing wrong other than show up to work like they are supposed to do. I do it because it is what I am paid to do. I don't like it but I will do it. Think of it this way IORFA, you give me job security. Yes it is a bit more challenging in INTL but the same concept applies.

Get over yourself, your a cog in the wheel and nothing more!

I like your doomsday scenario. Call it what you want, but you will have a different story about how you messed with some F/A just because someone called in sick 8 hours before departure. It is always the same some F/A screwed some other F/A because of ............. My whole point was you want a penalty to call in sick within 2 hours before departure. Why? I have no idea. Like you said, it is job security for you. I only say then give us an incentive to call in earlier if there is a penalty to call in late. Since I can only assume that you think your job is easier if someone calls in sick early. It is called reserve for a reason. You will have multile examples of screwing some F/A because someone else called in sick during all hours before a trip. I.E. 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 8hours etc. Why do you think that when something happens to you that we are all trying to mess with the schedulers? I mean, how do you mess with someone who sits in a chair and answers the phone all day? I mean, other than your chair being broken, I can't imagine how something you never see would be construed as messing with you. Maybe it is all a conspiracy. Using your logic, anytime someone calls in sick, they are messing with you and some poor F/A somewhere in the system. Your answer to that, is to never call in sick. Maybe we should only be able to call in sick before bids are finalized the month before. That way the trips can be put together into a line someone can bid on. Problem solved. Then Garfield can't complain that we are intentionally trying to mess with anyone. Personally, I wish life was so predictable that everyone would call in sick the day before, preferably around 5pm so MU could be run and then reserves would know by 1900. This isn't a perfect world, and stuff happens last minute.

I like your doomsday scenario. Call it what you want, but you will have a different story about how you messed with some F/A just because someone called in sick 8 hours before departure. It is always the same some F/A screwed some other F/A because of ............. My whole point was you want a penalty to call in sick within 2 hours before departure. Why? I have no idea. Like you said, it is job security for you. I only say then give us an incentive to call in earlier if there is a penalty to call in late. Since I can only assume that you think your job is easier if someone calls in sick early. It is called reserve for a reason. You will have multile examples of screwing some F/A because someone else called in sick during all hours before a trip. I.E. 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 8hours etc. Why do you think that when something happens to you that we are all trying to mess with the schedulers? I mean, how do you mess with someone who sits in a chair and answers the phone all day? I mean, other than your chair being broken, or getting cauliflower ear from the headset, I can't imagine how something you never see would be construed as messing with you. Maybe it is all a conspiracy.

Have no fear, his job will be going to India soon! :up:

OK, lets review.

First if you will read the entire thread someone else mentioned the penalty idea before me. I was saying facetiously that if they want their penalty I get mine.

Second. I don't 'mess' with anyone. I do my best to make sure there is the required number of FA's on any given flight. I do it by the contract every single time with out exception.

Third, I prefer to do the lest amount of work to accomplish the above mentioned task. If I do not HAVE to look for a move I don't because it is a PIA and I don’t like 'messing' with peoples lives if I do not have to.

Forth. If I have enough time to call someone from home and I have people at home I put a reserve on and I move on. We are as lazy as you are. The less work we have to do the happier we are.

Fifth. Yes my job is easier if you give me more time to fill it. And it is also easier on your co-workers as I am less likely to have to disrupt their lives in order to complete my job. We all win that way.

Sixth. I cannot count the number of times I have been told or have heard that by doing "x" this will screw over Crew Skd. Like we care.

Seventh. My other point about the 'penalty is that it would be more of a benefit for the people you screw over by your actions. When someone bombs in less than 3 hours there is a good possibility that at least one FA is going to get screwed in the deal. Depending on the situation and how good I am at my job, as I mentioned above there may be more collateral damage than just one FA.

Eighth. "I for one will NOT call in sick until 2 hours or less before DEPARTURE."

This is your quote. Are you going to go into politics now to clarify what you really meant to say because what you actually said was not what you meant to say because you do not what people to know what you really meant to say? If being a FA does not pan out, you have a future.

Ninth, Been here for nearly 10 years and I have not come up with an 'scenarios' for more than 4 hours out. Not to say I am not trying but I just don’t have any luck finding one.

By the way, just because you are paranoid does not mean the world is not out to get you.

Local,

Get over your self. I have no illusions of my importance to this company. I was only explaining what happens to his co-workers when he calls in sick 2 hours prior to dept which he has clarified to state that he does not do that unless he does do that, or something like that.

I am pretty sure FAMikey understands what it is that I am talking about.

You are correct, I made a mistake by generalizing all types of sick occurances possible. I have called in sick days in advance, so the trip could be picked up by someone in open time and/or AVBL. What I made a poor explanation of is if I need to call in day of. That's all. There is NO perfect way of calling in. There is always going to be someone that might not like it. Like I said before, IF you want a penalty, then give me an incentive. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise, why are we even discussing the matter?

You are correct, I made a mistake by generalizing all types of sick occurances possible. I have called in sick days in advance, so the trip could be picked up by someone in open time and/or AVBL. What I made a poor explanation of is if I need to call in day of. That's all. There is NO perfect way of calling in. There is always going to be someone that might not like it. Like I said before, IF you want a penalty, then give me an incentive. Nothing more, nothing less. Otherwise, why are we even discussing the matter?
Penalty....incentive...what the hell are you two girls fighting about.

It is plain and simple...call in sick with plenty of time to call a reserve than we call a reserve.. If not reassign or go short or delay. Nothing more nothing less.

Incentive...funny i thought a pay check no matter how big or small and health care and flight bennies were the incentive.

Can we move on from this screw you screw me topic and get to what we need most. Get our money back and make this APFA/AA contract better for both parites. We need to let the schedulers and the flight attendants hammer out a contract. I bet in the end it would be the best contract ever. But in the end we will have to put up with a contract negotiated by the the people who it affects the least (managers and APFA reps who do not fly)

Like I said earlier, I do not want a penalty. It serves no purpose. My statement was a response to Jims item number 7 in the original post.

I am fully aware that a person can become ill last min. My statement to you was in response to you saying you will only call in 2 hours prior. BTW, giving you an incentive would serve no purpose either. If you are sick, whether there is an incentive or would not affect the situation. I have never understood the idea of offering an incentive for people to the right thing when doing the right thing posses no cost to the individual. If you call in sick as soon as you know you are not going to make it, that is all anyone asks. There are those (one in JFK comes to mind) who will pick up a trip and bomb in sick 2 hours prior like clock work. It got to the point where if he picked up a trip we would pull an extra SBY to cover his seq to prevent a delay or under staffing.

We are discussing the matter because of your original post.

Get our money back and make this APFA/AA contract better for both parites. We need to let the schedulers and the flight attendants hammer out a contract. I bet in the end it would be the best contract ever. But in the end we will have to put up with a contract negotiated by the the people who it affects the least (managers and APFA reps who do not fly)

Boy, Did you ever get that right.