AA - NWA - SWA - Mechanic Pay Comparison

Bob Owens,

What is the current status of the Lawsuit over the ratification procedure?

And if you can, come on down to Tulsa this Friday for the AMFA Informational Meeting at the Sheriton Hotel. I''ll buy dinner!

July 2

Thanks for the offer but I must respectfully decline, my son has Little League on Sat & Sun, weather permitting.

----------------
On 5/28/2003 8:06:45 PM RV4 wrote:

NORTHWEST MECHANIC - AMFA = $34.63 X 2080 Hours = $72.030.40

SOUTHWEST MECHANIC - TEAMSTERS = $36.86 X 2080 Hours = $76,668.80

AMERICAN MECHANIC - TWU = $30.26 X 2080 Hours = $62,940.80

TWU - "AAmericans Real Strength"

----------------​

----------------
On 5/28/2003 8:41:42 PM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------
On 5/28/2003 8:06:45 PM RV4 wrote:

NORTHWEST MECHANIC - AMFA = $34.63 X 2080 Hours = $72.030.40

SOUTHWEST MECHANIC - TEAMSTERS = $36.86 X 2080 Hours = $76,668.80

AMERICAN MECHANIC - TWU = $30.26 X 2080 Hours = $62,940.80

TWU - "AAmericans Real Strength"

----------------​

TEAMSTERS

You are partially correct. The Teamsters negotiated the contract and then the mechanics at Southwest removed them in a Representational Election of their Craft and Class.​

----------------
On 5/29/2003 12:34:43 AM Buck wrote:

TEAMSTERS

You are partially correct. The Teamsters negotiated the contract and then the mechanics at Southwest removed them in a Representational Election of their Craft and Class.​

----------------​
I am well aware of that Buck...but I just wanted to "de-spin" RV4''s statement that implies that the AMFA led the charge in getting SWA mechanics their contract. The contract for SWA was negotiated by the Teamsters union, NOT AMFA, as RV4 seems to imply. After the contract was approved by membership, the AMFA was voted in. Did the teamsters work a little harder because of the threat of AMFA? Maybe they did. But they most likely would have been working a little harder had it been the IAM or *gasp* the TWU waiting in the wings. So while painting the rosy picture of life in the AMFA, please don''t take credit for the work of another group.

Brings up a scary thought though...SWA as a policy has not had any layoffs. Nor have they had the need to ask for concessions. But one has to wonder...will AMFA adapt to the Southwest "culture", or will they try to drive a stake between labor and managment over there in the name of "protecting the class and craft" of their members. Would they run the risk of being referred to as the "company union"? Right now, I''m a bit afraid. I know SWA mechanics have about 5 or 6 years on the contract (negotiated again by the TEAMSTERS unioin). My concern is this...should the votes at AA and UAL fail this year and in the coming years, will the AMFA as a union and in desparation, attempt to use negotions at Southwest airlines as an example of their toughness? Will the AMFA put the needs of their current members behind their desire to be the "union of choice" among all the airlines? As a shareholder in SWA, I''d be lying if I said it didn''t worry me a little bit.

----------------
On 5/29/2003 6:49:33 AM KCFlyer wrote:

----------------

I am well aware of that Buck...but I just wanted to "de-spin" RV4's statement that implies that the AMFA led the charge in getting SWA mechanics their contract.

Well I guess that since other posters use language that was in place at NWA from the IAM that AMFA inherited, it was fair enough to use positive inherited items also.

The Teamster also did a god job at UPS where their base goes to $38 this summer and $40 next summer, compared to our base rate of $25. But the mechanics over there that I spoke with also expressed a desire to go to a mechanics union-AMFA.

The contract for SWA was negotiated by the Teamsters union, NOT AMFA, as RV4 seems to imply. After the contract was approved by membership, the AMFA was voted in. Did the teamsters work a little harder because of the threat of AMFA? Maybe they did. But they most likely would have been working a little harder had it been the IAM or *gasp* the TWU waiting in the wings.

Thats the problem, AFL-CIO affiliates will not raid each other. This means that incumbant unions really do not have to work hard for their members. If they represent several groups at the same employer mechanics tend to be worse off. One reason is that most mechanics, who usually like their job, will not take much of an interest trying to become involved in Union administration.For other workers, going into Union administration is a way out, a way of no longer doing a mundane job. Once in office their greatest fear is having to return to the floor. By leaving the administration of the Union to these other groups , groups that may harbor resentment towards mechanics because mechanics are often treated better by management than other workgroups, at least as they see it, mechanics become more and more isolated from their union.

Brings up a scary thought though...SWA as a policy has not had any layoffs. Nor have they had the need to ask for concessions. But one has to wonder...will AMFA adapt to the Southwest "culture", or will they try to drive a stake between labor and managment over there in the name of "protecting the class and craft" of their members. Would they run the risk of being referred to as the "company union"? Right now, I'm a bit afraid. I know SWA mechanics have about 5 or 6 years on the contract (negotiated again by the TEAMSTERS unioin). My concern is this...should the votes at AA and UAL fail this year and in the coming years, will the AMFA as a union and in desparation, attempt to use negotions at Southwest airlines as an example of their toughness? Will the AMFA put the needs of their current members behind their desire to be the "union of choice" among all the airlines? As a shareholder in SWA, I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me a little bit.

Not to worry. Mechanics dont tend to be showy. They usually work well alone or with one other worker. They just want a fair price for their labor. The desire for AMFA at SWA probably has more to do with a desire to belong to an organization that is uniquely theirs (Aircraft Mechanics) as opposed to a truckers union and not a desire to battle with the company. In catch all unions the company typically throws out a lump sum and has the union divy it up between workgroups, like they did at AA. There the union then decided to give the mechanics the lions share of the concessions for the reasons stated above.

While AA will not admit it the raise that mechanics recieved a while back cost the company nothing. Most mechanics on the line saw their annual pay stay the same because when they got the raise they became more productive. That decreased overtime. It was a win -win. The guys were happy to only work 42.5 and the company got all their airplanes. But unfortunately the company got greedy.

SWA has beter management, I doubt that their will be a whole lot of difficulties over at SWA because AMFA is there.​

----------------​

----------------
On 5/29/2003 6:49:33 AM KCFlyer wrote:

I am well aware of that Buck...but I just wanted to "de-spin" RV4's statement that implies that the AMFA led the charge in getting SWA mechanics their contract. The contract for SWA was negotiated by the Teamsters union, NOT AMFA, as RV4 seems to imply. After the contract was approved by membership, the AMFA was voted in. Did the teamsters work a little harder because of the threat of AMFA? Maybe they did. But they most likely would have been working a little harder had it been the IAM or *gasp* the TWU waiting in the wings. So while painting the rosy picture of life in the AMFA, please don't take credit for the work of another group.

Brings up a scary thought though...SWA as a policy has not had any layoffs. Nor have they had the need to ask for concessions. But one has to wonder...will AMFA adapt to the Southwest "culture", or will they try to drive a stake between labor and managment over there in the name of "protecting the class and craft" of their members. Would they run the risk of being referred to as the "company union"? Right now, I'm a bit afraid. I know SWA mechanics have about 5 or 6 years on the contract (negotiated again by the TEAMSTERS unioin). My concern is this...should the votes at AA and UAL fail this year and in the coming years, will the AMFA as a union and in desparation, attempt to use negotions at Southwest airlines as an example of their toughness? Will the AMFA put the needs of their current members behind their desire to be the "union of choice" among all the airlines? As a shareholder in SWA, I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me a little bit.
----------------​
Fine, bring me a Teamsters Authorization Card, I'll sign it!

We just need to get rid the most docile union in the industry, which is now referenced as the "Real Strength of AAmerican"

AMFA represents SWA Mechanics, Teamsters negotiated that contract and was still removed from the property. Why the hell can't the AA Mechanics see the need to leave NOW? It is really a no brainer!

While AA will not admit it the raise that mechanics recieved a while back cost the company nothing. Most mechanics on the line saw their annual pay stay the same because when they got the raise they became more productive. That decreased overtime. It was a win -win. The guys were happy to only work 42.5 and the company got all their airplanes. But unfortunately the company got greedy.

SWA has beter management, I doubt that their will be a whole lot of difficulties over at SWA because AMFA is there.

Bob,
Well Bob,
I think you just hit a truth.

When a person becomes more productive, they are more valuable to a company.
The problem is, workers want more for doing the same thing. That would be cost of living raises. Nothing more. No changes in work rules.

SWA is a relativly new airline in regards to AA and they started out treating employees good, and in return employees work very hard for the company.

I would say if you put a SWA employee against a AA employee, Productivity would be much higher with the SWA.

The biggest factor a swa employee has going for them is SWA makes money. AA isn''t.

As I have said many times: It will not matter what union you have. It will matter if your airline makes money.
The purpose of a long contract with raises tied to profits is to assure the company they don''t have to put up with union employee bullshit every other year.
I can''t blame them for this, and I don''t think anyone would want to, including yourself, if you were on the other side.

This whole issue is a matter of common sense for all concerned.
You guys have a chance to make more. Work more of the 8.5 hours you are on the job. Be more productive.
Everyone expects to be paid for the 8 hours they are there. Why wouldn''t the company expect you to work for those 8 hours?

----------------
On 5/30/2003 7:57:48 AM atabuy wrote:

You guys have a chance to make more. Work more of the 8.5 hours you are on the job. Be more productive.
Everyone expects to be paid for the 8 hours they are there. Why wouldn''t the company expect you to work for those 8 hours?

----------------​

This is the cultural problem at AA. I like to say that the TWU and AA Management have fostered a culture of non-productive mediocracy. Many people have the attitude that a pay-cut is ok as long as we don''t have to work. It''s like being on a losing team that could not care less about winning.
Why wouldn''t the company expect you to work for those 8 hours? Good question. Perhaps a topic for a new thread.

----------------

The problem is, workers want more for doing the same thing. That would be cost of living raises. Nothing more. No changes in work rules.

COLAs are not raises, they are adjustments to maintain the value of your labor. It means that your purchasing power stays the same. People on Social Security get COLAS. Are you saying that since they do no work therefore they can deliver no increases in productivity that they should be locked into a certain sum for the rest of their lives? Eventually inflation will remove the majority of their purchasing power.

If we keep negotiating away work rules for COLAs then eventually inflation will leave us with nothing.

SWA is a relativly new airline in regards to AA and they started out treating employees good, and in return employees work very hard for the company.

I would say if you put a SWA employee against a AA employee, Productivity would be much higher with the SWA.

You would say? Based upon what?

The biggest factor a swa employee has going for them is SWA makes money. AA isn't.

And whose fault is that? Should AA pay less for landing fees, fuel and leases because they do not make money? Then why should they pay less for labor? Why do they pay more for management than SWA?

As I have said many times: It will not matter what union you have. It will matter if your airline makes money.

How would you know?

The purpose of a long contract with raises tied to profits is to assure the company they don't have to put up with union employee bullshit every other year.

They will end up with more BS this way than that way.

I can't blame them for this, and I don't think anyone would want to, including yourself, if you were on the other side.

Sure I can. They went way too far.

Its common sense that you dont screw people over then expect them to give you their best.

We did that. Then they screwed us. No matter how hard we work, no matter how much more we produce, no matter how much money the company makes we will still be working for less. This deal only allows us to work more, not make more.

Everyone expects to be paid for the 8 hours they are there. Why wouldn't the company expect you to work for those 8 hours?

I have no problem with working eight. The question is do they want someone to work for eight like a slave or a like a partner?

----------------​

----------------
On 5/31/2003 9:53:28 AM Bob Owens wrote:

----------------

You would say? Based upon what?

The biggest factor a swa employee has going for them is SWA makes money. AA isn''t.

And whose fault is that? Should AA pay less for landing fees, fuel and leases because they do not make money? Then why should they pay less for labor? Why do they pay more for management than SWA?

How would you know?

The purpose of a long contract with raises tied to profits is  to assure the company they don''t have to put up with union employee bullshit every other year.

They will end up with more BS this way than that way. 

I can''t blame them for this, and I don''t think anyone would want to, including yourself, if you were on the other side.

Sure I can. They went way too far.

Its common sense that you dont screw people over then expect them to give you their best.

We did that. Then they screwed us. No matter how hard we work, no matter how much more we produce, no matter how much money the company makes we will still be working for less. This deal only allows us to work more, not make more.

I have no problem with working eight. The question is do they want someone to work for eight like a slave or a like a partner?

----------------​

----------------​

Bob,

COLAs are not raises, they are adjustments to maintain the value of your labor. It means that your purchasing power stays the same. People on Social Security get COLAS. Are you saying that since they do no work therefore they can deliver no increases in productivity that they should be locked into a certain  sum for the rest of their lives? Eventually inflation will remove the majority of their purchasing power.
If we keep negotiating away work rules for COLAs then eventually inflation will leave us with nothing.

( My point here is colas keep your wage from losing ground against inflation.
In order to get raises on top of that, productivity must be an issue. No one will pay you more to do the same amount of work as before.
The reason mechanics get more, than say a ramp man, is because they went to school for a license to perform work on aircraft. You should get more money in return for work rule changes, unless those work rules are obsolete in todays market, which some are. An illistration of this would be Ual''s R&D which should have been tossed out of their contract long ago. Paying people to do something which can be done by employees already working is ludicrus. These are, union member job protection, which should have been fazed out with attrition. )
I am not saying to just get rid of employees. Attrition would work for most jobs. What I am saying is some jobs are only to increase dues paying members.

When things were good companies did not want the hassle of fighting these issues. Now that push came to shove, all employees are feeling the hammer come down on them. They are taking a hit for what should have happened a long time ago. The employees getting laid off are employees that might not have had a job in the first place if these changes had been in place as the enviorment changed.

Before deregulation, unions held the hammer. Now that big airlines are competing against lower cost ones, the company is using the hammer just to survive.

Yea, I know! They are hiding money from everyone in order to screw you guys.
Just one of the many stupid theories posted on these threads.

No one likes change, but it has come, and all the bitching in the world will not stop this change from taking place.
Your choices are to fight these changes and maybe take the company down, or live with them and find some way to change the culture.
This last statement you made is part of the problem with your thinking.

You are not a partner, just a worker who makes contracts with the company to do certain things for them. I doubt very much if you are working like a slave.
You are not a partner because you refuse to buy into AA.

Get all the employees to buy the airline with real money, and then you will be a partner. But you will still have the same problems as long as you think collectivly as you do.

Maybe if you all worked piece work you would work as much as you could to make the money you wanted. It sure would change how many employees you thought you needed to do the job.

Good luck

----------------
On 5/31/2003 9:53:28 AM Bob Owens wrote:

COLAs are not raises, they are adjustments to maintain the value of your labor. It means that your purchasing power stays the same. People on Social Security get COLAS. Are you saying that since they do no work therefore they can deliver no increases in productivity that they should be locked into a certain sum for the rest of their lives? Eventually inflation will remove the majority of their purchasing power.

----------------​
Something I noticed happening in the "real world" outside the airline industry is that raises that are given are about equivalent of COLA increases. But if the talk of deflation is true, does that mean that COLA (since the "A" means "adjustment") would result in a decrease in pay?

----------------
On 6/2/2003 8:12:21 AM KCFlyer wrote:

Something I noticed happening in the "real world" outside the airline industry is that raises that are given are about equivalent of COLA increases. But if the talk of deflation is true, does that mean that COLA (since the "A" means "adjustment") would result in a decrease in pay?

----------------​
Sure, but first we have to fix the CPI. The CPI does not include Real Estate or Taxes. These figures continue to go up despite a fall in the price of those items chosen by the government for its "basket of goods" used to calculate the CPI. Even with the currently understated CPI we have a long way to go to make up or even to get restablished at a rate that brings us up to the bar.

Bring my purchasing power up to where it should be, including the increases for SSI and other taxes (you can drop Real Estate-too volitile) and I will gladly accept the deflationary component from the current recession.

----------------
On 6/2/2003 7:57:15 AM atabuy wrote:

( My point here is colas keep your wage from losing ground against inflation.
In order to get raises on top of that, productivity must be an issue. No one will pay you more to do the same amount of work as before.

Fine but over the last twenty years we have not kep up with inflation. By the end of the current agreement we will have lost nearly 40% since 1983 through inflation, while at the same time we agreed to and delivered massive increases in productivity.

The reason mechanics get more, than say a ramp man, is because they went to school for a license to perform work on aircraft.

The reason we get more is because is because our skills are transferrable and have a similar value outside this industry without the drawbacks of this industry.

You should get more money in return for work rule changes, unless those work rules are obsolete in todays market, which some are. An illistration of this would be Ual''s R&D which should have been tossed out of their contract long ago.

Having R&D was a throwback to the days when engine startups were a risky part of the trip. Even with the advent of the jet age where hot starts or hung starts, along with fires were common it was better to have trained mechanics who could help the crew get things going doing the R&D. The reason why it was given to Ramp was to save money, as the reliability improved it made more sense economically without posing an unacceptable level of risk. We gave up R&D 20 years ago.

Before deregulation, unions held the hammer. Now that big airlines are competing against lower cost ones, the company is using the hammer just to survive.

That remains to be seen. We heard the same thing in the early eighties, remember Laker, Capitol, Air Florida? And again in the late 80s and ealy 90s, Peoples Express, Pan Am.

Yea, I know! They are hiding money from everyone in order to screw you guys.
Just one of the many stupid theories posted on these threads.

Is it stupid? Did you look at the 10K? Nearly $1billion in losses for "Goodwill", a few hundred million in liabilities for AAdvantage miles, many of which will never be cashed in. I''m sure there was a whole lot more like accelerated depreciation and other "charges". Was it a bad year? I have no doubt. I just doubt it was as bad as they said it was, just like they did in the early eighties and 90s.

No one likes change, but it has come, and all the bitching in the world will not stop this change from taking place.

No but if the unions would have gotten together like they do in France and threatened to shut the whole thing down they would not have gotten away with what they did.

Your choices are to fight these changes and maybe take the company down, or live with them and find some way to change the culture.
This last statement you made is part of the problem with your thinking.

I''d rather take my chances fighting.

You are not a partner, just a worker who makes contracts with the company to do certain things for them.

With that being understood then why am I responsible for the companies economic hardship and why should we, as a union, agree to work for less than others doing the same job at NWA, SWA or UPS? Over the long term we would be better off not ageeing to any concessions and allowing those carriers that can pay the going wage to expand.

You are not a partner because you refuse to buy into AA.

That is not what management has been saying to us for at least the last 17 years.