Swa/twu Flight Attendants-no Contract!

Hackman

Veteran
Sep 30, 2003
Just saw the news at 6pm on the poor twu represented SWA flight attendants. Can't the twu get them a contract with all the strength in numbers, afl-cio Washington DC clout??? The MOST PROFITABLE airline in the USA and they are only paid when the aircraft is moving.

They clean the aircraft for free!!!!!

Contract negotiations for 20 months????

They perform over 300 hrs of free work per year???

The flight attendants have resorted to handing out Valentine's cards to passengers and asking them to send them to management. Very sad.

I guess contacting Sunny Hole and his boys is a waste of time since the twu airline members can no longer contact the twu International.

Hopefully, when the twu is ousted from the mechanic and related at AA we can turn our attention to helping the flight attendants at SWA rid themselves of the the twu albatross that is bringing them so much heartache.

Please don't misunderstand me.....but.......we are ALL paid only when the airplane is moving....every single one of us from every single airline. I started on a "B" scale and the f/a's were without a contract....5 YEARS later I merged to "A" scale before we got a new contract (20 months isn't that long) ....300 hours of free work?? well.....not really....they are trying to throw in the cleaning of the aircraft as unpaid but they get paid per trip, not hour. Clean the aircraft for free??? Nope....and they aren't the only ones cleaning planes (we do it too) but they do it on every single leg and others do not.

I am very sympathetic to their plight (and they definitely deserve a contract ) but at this juncture, Southwest flight attendants are some of the highest paid flight attendants in the country. I bet they didn't mention that in their valentine cards. ;)

Wow great job twu, only took 19 months to get this turd back.
Extending their current proposal from 6 years to 6.5 years

· No additional pay raises in the first year resulting in zero dollars added to the retro pay that you have earned.

· No pay raise for the year 2003.

· No additional pay raises for new hire Flight Attendants

· Small pay raises in the final years that equal to an overall average of 20% when other work groups have received pay raises from a minimum of 24% to over 39%.

· Duty Rigs that are unequal to the Pilots and never kick in.

· 15 year top out when all other SWA Union Work groups have a maximum of a 12 year top out.

· Profitability bonuses instead of the profitability wage increases that our Pilots receive.

· Stock options that are far below what other work groups are receiving (example topped out FAS offered 1,400 shares while topped out Pilots were given 7,728 + shares, Customer Service/Res were given 3,400 + shares, Pilot Instructors, were given 9,000 shares, Dispatchers were given 9,465 shares, and Mechanics were given 1,800 shares).

· Holiday pay proposal that is inequitable with the rest of the Company.

In addition, Mr. Parker continued to ignore important Flight Attendant issues such as Initial Training Pay, increase in Reserve Guarantee, and Productivity Pay.

We support the Flight Attendants efforts at SW. And when/if the time comes we will be walking the picket lines with you all. It is nice to see the Informational meetings and the constant media attention.

Keep Up the Great Job,You will need it! From what I understand, talks will go down to the 30 day cooling off period. Then and only then SW will sit down and talk constructively.

Hackman said:
Hopefully, when the twu is ousted from the mechanic and related at AA we can turn our attention to helping the flight attendants at SWA rid themselves of the the twu albatross that is bringing them so much heartache.
One of AMFAs main themes is a union of mechanics, bargaining for and representing mechanics only. If AMFA becomes your bargaining agent, what business do you have interfering with issues regarding a union that isn't any concern of yours? And the company in question isn't even the one you work for...

Your position illustrates just how anti-union your agenda is.

Dc10hound said:
Hackman said:
One of AMFAs main themes is a union of mechanics, bargaining for and representing mechanics only. If AMFA becomes your bargaining agent, what business do you have interfering with issues regarding a union that isn't any concern of yours? And the company in question isn't even the one you work for...

Your position illustrates just how anti-union your agenda is.
Going to the aid of other workers is now ANTI-UNION?

Do you consider all independant unions to not really be unions?

So if AA closed their doors and you were hired by a company that had an Independant union, that got you the best benifits and pay in the industry would you say that you do not have a union?

Here you pay dues, you work for the biggest carrier in the industry, yet you have the worst compensation package of all the majors, including non-union Delta.

What exactly do you think unions were put in place for?
To create jobs or to get better pay and benifits?
To make us work more for less or make less for more?
To save companies from their own mismanagement or to protect workers as much as possible from such mismanagement by getting them contracts that remain in place despite what management does?

I guess that when we went out and picketed the company in support of our fellow workers, the Flight Attendants, according to you, it was an anti-union act because they were not affiliated?

When the TWU promotes more jobs at less pay- is that a pro-union position?

Only the TWU would say yes.

When the TWU undercuts all the other unions in the industry, in other words work for less like a scab, is that a pro-union position?

When the TWU spouts the same rhetoric as the company and the RTW Committee, is that pro-union?

When the TWU tells its members that they are powerless and must grant the company every penny that they demand is that a pro-union position?

Seems to me that the TWUs position is the exact opposite of the rest of the labor movement. THe TWU says the members are powerless to resist the companies demands, that we are better off giving the company whatever they want, that we are better off working for less and having a long term contract that locks us in at those low rates for 5 years. Its hard to tell that the TWU is a union at all, except for the fact that they take two hours gross pay way from us every month.

To me any organization that tells the workers they are powerless and must accept whatever the company dictates is anti-union. Any organization that promotes lower wages and less benifits is anti-union. The TWU is anti-union because they promote everything that real unions fight against.

Bob Owens said:

If they're not asking for help, it might be considered so. Remember when AMFA told us RTW did not apply to us because we are covered by the RLA? The situation is similar. Why would what the flight attendants are negotiating affect what mechanics want?

Who asked you to butt in?

No. Did I say that?

Your position illustrates just how anti-union your agenda is

Sorry about adding that statement, Bob. I couldn't resist seeing what you'd say...
;)

Dc10hound said:
If they're not asking for help, it might be considered so. Remember when AMFA told us RTW did not apply to us because we are covered by the RLA? The situation is similar.

I dont remember AMFA saying that, I remember a few AMFA supporters saying that. I think that the reason they brought that up was because Local 514 was using union funds to fight a RTW bill in Oklahoma. In the meantime our issues were not being given proper attention.

Why would what the flight attendants are negotiating affect what mechanics want?

Could you restate your question?

If you wanted a private discusion you should use the PM or E-mail. Otherwise this is a free forum.

No. Did I say that?

Did I say you said that? I asked a question.

If they're not asking for help, it might be considered so. Remember when AMFA told us RTW did not apply to us because we are covered by the RLA? The situation is similar.

I dont remember AMFA saying that, I remember a few AMFA supporters saying that. I think that the reason they brought that up was because Local 514 was using union funds to fight a RTW bill in Oklahoma. In the meantime our issues were not being given proper attention.

You're right. I stand corrected:

If they're not asking for help, it might be considered so. Remember when some AMFA supporters told us RTW did not apply to us because we are covered by the RLA? The situation is similar.

Why would what the flight attendants are negotiating affect what mechanics want?

Could you restate your question?

Never mind, please.

If you wanted a private discusion you should use the PM or E-mail. Otherwise this is a free forum.

I didn't mean you, personally. The statement was written out of context. Sorry.

No. Did I say that?

Did I say you said that? I asked a question.

I answered the question. Just wondered why yours was asked.

Checking it Out said:
We support the Flight Attendants efforts at SW. And when/if the time comes we will be walking the picket lines with you all. It is nice to see the Informational meetings and the constant media attention.

Keep Up the Great Job,You will need it! From what I understand, talks will go down to the 30 day cooling off period. Then and only then SW will sit down and talk constructively.
Walk a picket line, hell the twu crosses every other one. :down:

Was it Horizon Air and 18 months of negotiations without an amfa lawyer?, or was the real-estate business to busy at the time?

And really TA, since when have you become a historian of the TWU?

Your_Ex-Wife Posted: Feb 16 2004, 12:12 PM

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,407

I'm more concerned about what happens here locally and do not have time to research/reply to all unions and professions as you. My focus is on keeping MCIE open and viable, that means keeping the amfa out.

--------------------

UAL engines = FM1 results...AMFA at it's best!

Yes, I thought you were more concerned with local issues?

Latest posts