AA Recycling Cork...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No this is part of the new "Stay Afloat Program" with enough corks management will be able to keep this ship afloat.

"Even small items such as wine corks, when recycled, can make a big difference to our environment."

Of course when the AMT's in Tulsa tried to get AA to encourage Bicycle Commuting by offering $20.00 per month incentive which would equal ZERO cost per the "Bicycle Commuter Act"....

Bicycle Commuter Act

The AMT's were denied.

We Have Ozone Alert Days often in Tulsa, but since AA cannot get big press from this issue, it is denied.

Hypocrits

Answer from Management - "Doesn't make business sense to support Bicycle Commuter Act" :blink:

The benefit -- up to $20 per month -- begins with the new year in 2009. Employers may reimburse employees, tax free, for "reasonable" expenses related to their bike commute, including equipment purchases, bike purchases, repairs, and storage if the bicycle is used as a "substantial part" of the commuter's trip to work for the month. If you already receive another commuter tax-free fringe benefit (like a Commuter Check or EcoPass), you don't qualify, so multimodal commuters are out of luck.

Why should ANY company pay you to ride your bike?... Seems like a scam just waiting to happen.

Why should ANY company pay you to ride your bike?... Seems like a scam just waiting to happen.

One - Health cost and Sick Leave cost could be lower and there would be savings.

Two - Incentive to get donut eating fat asses to excercise

Three - Because some law maker thought enough of it to make it happen.

But you are probably correct, it would be better to have security place their big Ozone Alert sign out front at the guard shack and have them smile and wave as everyone drives their exhaut emitting cars through the gate and watch closely as everyone gets out with their morning donuts. And better yet create a press release about recycling cork and mention the better environment buzz word in the article.

And By the Way the COMPANY wouldn't pay the $20, it comes directly off of their payroll taxes so you would be paying me to ride not the company.

My opinion - It would save the company money to provide health club membership, voouchers for healthy foods, and they should encourage excercise at work if not flat out have morning workouts on the clock.

Lastly - If you had bothered to read the ACT you would have seen that the $20 isn't to pay you to ride to work. It is to reimburse for expenses related to commuting on bicycle. It cost far more than $20 per month to commute to work on a bicycle. But you already knew that while you were smoking your carton of cigarettes...didnt you? The cash for clunkers was a better deal for you to pay no doubt. Did your new car come with an ASH TRAY?

One - Health cost and Sick Leave cost could be lower and there would be savings.

Two - Incentive to get donut eating fat asses to excercise

Three - Because some law maker thought enough of it to make it happen.

But you are probably correct, it would be better to have security place their big Ozone Alert sign out front at the guard shack and have them smile and wave as everyone drives their exhaut emitting cars through the gate and watch closely as everyone gets out with their morning donuts. And better yet create a press release about recycling cork and mention the better environment buzz word in the article.

And By the Way the COMPANY wouldn't pay the $20, it comes directly off of their payroll taxes so you would be paying me to ride not the company.

My opinion - It would save the company money to provide health club membership, voouchers for healthy foods, and they should encourage excercise at work if not flat out have morning workouts on the clock.

Lastly - If you had bothered to read the ACT you would have seen that the $20 isn't to pay you to ride to work. It is to reimburse for expenses related to commuting on bicycle. It cost far more than $20 per month to commute to work on a bicycle. But you already knew that while you were smoking your carton of cigarettes...didnt you? The cash for clunkers was a better deal for you to pay no doubt. Did your new car come with an ASH TRAY?

I haven't a comment re: the bicycle riding, but of all things the elitist SOBs could think of to recycle - corks from wine bottles?

What is wrong with these people? I wonder if the twits actually have any clue as to how ridiculous that sounds to a person in the normal parts of society?

Couldn't agree more Goose! Recycling corks... Really? that's the best we can come up with?

Meanwhile,the retreat continues.

french_surrendermonkeymag.jpg

You make very good points about the benefits to the company and the employees from driving less and exercising more, but the $20 is paid by the company to the employee as a tax-free fringe benefit, just like all other tax-free fringes.

I agree. Health care cost savings would probably pay for all of the above.

Lastly - If you had bothered to read the ACT you would have seen that the $20 isn't to pay you to ride to work. It is to reimburse for expenses related to commuting on bicycle. It cost far more than $20 per month to commute to work on a bicycle.

It does, but the savings from not driving more than cover the costs of a nice bicycle and the desired accessories, so the tax-free $20/mo is really not necessary. Every time I ride my bicycle to the office I save at least $5 on gas plus all the other "wear and tear" on the vehicle (tires, maintenance, depreciation, etc).

A mechanic in Tulsa could probably buy a nice new bike each year and still save lots of money compared to big pickup monthly payments. Buy a nice bike for $1,500 to $2,000 for just the cost of 4 or 5 monthly payments on a new big pickup truck.

I haven't a comment re: the bicycle riding, but of all things the elitist SOBs could think of to recycle - corks from wine bottles.

What is wrong with these people? I wonder if the twits actually have any clue as to how ridiculous that sounds to a person in the normal parts of society?

AA couldn't care less how it sounds to you or other people "in the normal parts of society." I realize that you think everything AA says is aimed at its employees or those normal joes but it's obvious that you weren't the audience to which this message was aimed. The intended audience (Admirals Club members) probably cares more than you or the average joes. The press release says that more than 13 billion corks are produced worldwide each year - and most probably end up in the trash.

Whether you like it or not, a lot of the revenue comes from "elitist SOBs" and not from the people inhabiting "the normal parts of society." Pandering to those elitist SOBs might actually make good business sense.

Back to your regularly scheduled rants.

AA couldn't care less how it sounds to you or other people "in the normal parts of society." I realize that you think everything AA says is aimed at its employees or those normal joes but it's obvious that you weren't the audience to which this message was aimed. The intended audience (Admirals Club members) probably cares more than you or the average joes. The press release says that more than 13 billion corks are produced worldwide each year - and most probably end up in the trash.

Whether you like it or not, a lot of the revenue comes from "elitist SOBs" and not from the people inhabiting "the normal parts of society." Pandering to those elitist SOBs might actually make good business sense.

Back to your regularly scheduled rants.

Gee - aren't we a little testy today? Aimed at its employees, indeed.

Rabies usually runs its course in 4-6 weeks. Try not to bite anyone until after then.

Dunno. the guys who are going to ride their bikes for the health benefits are just as likely to do it without the reimbursement, just like the people who pay for a health club or Y membership are still going to do it with or without it being something that can be paid out of a flex spending account or HSA.

Totally agree on subsidizing health club memberships.

My soon to be previous employer looked into reimbursing employee health club memberships vs. installing a workout room at the offices. Legal said no-way to the onsite equipment but green lighted the reimbursements...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back