AAA ALPA Topic 8/24/07 - 8/31-07

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
U-Turn & the AWA Giant Sucking Sound

CJ Szmal took great Web Board exception to the latest U-Turn’s latest comments on cross-domicile flying. His keyboard must have been smoking. As usual, he was long of tooth, but short on facts. One thing we did find deliciously intriguing and worthy of its own U-Turn response was Mr. Small’s comment:]

BTW As far as your unrealized upgrades on the west goes, did you know that the east system lost 47 line positions in the most recent bid?

Ah, Mr. Szmal…Your comments just show how ignorant you are of the East’s operations. Every fall, the East draws down their line positions as they transition from the European flying, which required augmented crews, to Caribbean flying with single crews. In the spring, the process is reversed.

We added 49 Captains in our bid…

WOW! Over 132 West attrites since the merger was announced and we’ve added 29 + 27 = 56 CA positions!…Let’s see, when is the last CA upgrade start training? May, 2008. By then the East will have had an additional three bids, recouped all those 47 line positions and hired/recalled another 260 crew members (that’s a very conservative number). We do pick up as many as 20 new-hires/recalls. We’re sensing some real growth here. That was sarcasm, CJ.

… and the east is livid because they claim the company transferred their flying west.

[Oh really? Then it was one of the best kept “lividity†secrets out there. Here at U-Turn, we’re surprised that the MEC didn’t rub it in the East’s noses. That seems to be their latest stock-in-trade. Forget about who refuses to present the list (Herndon)…just attack the East. Unfortunately, our MEC hasn’t cornered the market on this escalating MAD – Mutually Assured Destruction. The continuing escalation by both sides against each other completely ignores who created this mess, who is sustaining this mess and will ultimately gain from this mess: Herndon and ALPA National.]

But enough of the CJ-isms. As entertaining as they may be (his missive that East 8:30 rest is “behind the door†is our favorite), let’s take a look at that giant sucking sound, called the September lines. And lest anyone think U-Turn invented these numbers, they were produced by our own MEC. Check out the latest MEC Committee News (August 22), if you have any doubt.

September saw a draw-down of West flying by from a total of roughly 58,190 CA hours to 54,476. That is a quantified 6.4% hourly reduction. The number of regular lines dropped from 1328 to 1234, for an overall 7% reduction. But don’t take U-Turn’s word for it. Look up the numbers. Or just read the comments from our PBS Chairman:

All seats experienced a reduction in total credit hours (the A320 CA reduction was very slight) resulting in fewer lines for September. The B757 experienced the largest reduction (by percentage), losing more than 25 percent of the total credit from August.

Ah, the giant sucking sound of synergies, as we on the West get “synergized†out of flying that is going East to the “cheap seats.†But we at U-Turn can’t really find fault with the company for doing what their stock holders demand: keeping costs down, getting earnings up. While the company may be our competition, they are not our enemy. They are often vilified as the enemy. They are not. They provide us with jobs. It is our responsibility to make sure we improve our pay and working conditions, not the company’s. And as long as we refuse to dispute this violation, from the company’s point of view, it isn’t a violation at all.

Our enemy is the group that doesn’t play by the rules. Our enemy is the group that doesn’t believe in or follow the ALPA Constitution. Our enemy is the group that continues to play one side off against the other. Our enemy has defined itself and its position. Our enemy, if you really need to have an enemy, someone to blame, our enemy is ALPA National, where the Constitution is treated as nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

And speaking of that enemy, where was Duane Woerth when the company started synergizing the work away from us last year? Obviously not following the ALPO Merger Policy:

D ACTIONS TAKEN UPON DETERMINATION OF MERGER

4 The President shall take reasonable measures to provide that the flight operations, equipment, and existing flying of each company party to a merger shall remain separated until such time as the pilot seniority lists and the employment agreements are merged, or until the MECs of the affected pilot groups mutually agree otherwise. Any dispute shall be decided by the Executive Council. (AMENDED - Executive Board May 1998)
CJ concluded with: I do agree that our senior most FO are the ones taking the royal shaft in all the shenanigans we are witnessing.

And who do we have to thank for that? We hope Mr. Szmal doesn’t stare too long at himself in the mirror.

We’ll leave you all with this little ditty, sung to the tune of Pete’s Seeger’s “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?†[Later sung by the Kingston Trio, and Peter, Paul and Mary]

Where has all the flying gone? Long time passing…

Where has all the flying gone? Long, long time ago…

Where has all the flying gone?

Gone to Philly, everyone…

When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?

Where have all the upgrades gone? Long time passing…

Where have all the upgrades gone? Long, long time ago…

Where have all the upgrades gone?

Gone to “Easties,†everyone…

Where have all the recalls gone? Long time passing…

Where have all the recalls gone? Long, long time ago…

Where have all the recalls gone?

Gone to Charlotte, everyone…

Where has all the big iron gone? Long time passing…

Where has all the big iron gone? Long, long time ago…

Where has all the big iron gone?

Gone to Philly, everyone…

Fade to black…………..

US Airways ALPA PHL LEC Update - August 24, 2007

The Window of Opportunity Has Closed

Dear Philadelphia Pilots,

Captain Prater is planning on being in PHL at the TGI Friday’s on Wednesday August 29, 2007.

Your PHL Reps will not be attending nor participating in his visit.

We feel the best way to send a message to Captain Prater is to not acknowledge his message - IGNORE HIS PRESENCE AS ALPA HAS IGNORED US FOR YEARS. We understand an even stronger message may be sent to Captain Prater and ALPA in the following months by the US Airways pilots.

If you, the Line Pilot, feel the need to confront Captain Prater with your grievances against the National Association, or negotiate with him, you should have taken the opportunity to do so at one of the other domiciles. He will be in PIT next week on Tuesday August 28, 2007.

As he has shown, in his video and communications to you, along with the recent polling by ALPA national, Captain Prater is here to “manage†your expectations, to soften you up for the Rice Committee findings and recommendations. For the PHL reps, the US Airways Pilots seniority is not for sale. The only acceptable solution is to overturn the Nicolau award. It is the only thing that will save this union and strengthen it for the future. We are disappointed that Captain Prater continues to hide behind his Attorneys and legal advisors while our future and seniority hangs in the balance, subject to lawyers advice, polling, and ALPA national committees.

From our first meeting on Sunday Night May 6, 2007 with Captain Prater three days after the Nicolau Award was released till today we have been consistent with your message and intent. We informed Captain Prater at that first meeting that he had a very short window of opportunity to act swiftly and decisively on behalf of our pilots and the Association. He has failed to do so, and as indicated in his August 3, 2007 communication to all pilots he has no intention of doing so. Any further communication with Captain Prater is a waste of our time in advocating for you our pilots.

The Nicolau award is flawed and goes against the very basic tenet of unionism and the foundation of the Airline Industry, which is seniority. Captain Prater and ALPA national can try to paint the pig any way they want, but this pig will not fly at US Airways. The Nicolau award must be overturned. It is the only right thing to do.

Free Lunch for Management

It is undeniable that the Nicolau Award has set us back in our efforts to raise the bar for our pilots and our profession. Over the past three months we have listened to your concerns and carried your message to both our Company and our National Associations. We have been clear and consistent with that message. Unfortunately, it is clear that the Company, our Association, and the AWA MEC through their communications to you and others, all doubt your resolve and commitment. We don’t! We hear and see your actions. We are encouraged by the new level of union activism.

When it comes to equal and fair treatment relative to wages, management will not do the right thing based on either the pilot's outrage or their own virtue. The only way for our pilots to receive fair and equitable treatment from this management team is for us collectively to end the free lunch provided them by our pilots who continually do work beyond that which is in their job description. Our Company should be staffed with enough personnel to do the things we pilots often offer to do for free once we've met our contractual obligations. Follow your contract - the ALPA contract - not the IAM or CWA or even AFA contract. No more stepping into the way of the other unions. Your contract does not set pay rates for aircraft cleaning, baggage handling, or catering.

Remember, a professional pilot always keeps his priorities straight: Safety, comfort, economy. Even the FOM repeats this.

We can’t tell you how many times we have heard our pilots admonish us for not leading a job action against management. They are right in that it is the quickest way to solicit results. But as your union leadership, we can’t under the Railway Labor law.

The message to management must come from you, the pilots, collectively and of without coercion.

However, we can all learn a lesson from Northwest Airlines this summer. The NWA pilots had had enough and all of them, the entire NWA pilot group decided to “do their own job.†What did they receive? Elimination of half pay for Dead Head, Time and a half for over 80 hours, $1000 for not calling in sick through September 15th, and the hiring of new pilots. Not bad. Have you had enough?

Remember these prolific words from our leader Mr. Doug Parker:

There is nothing more expensive than running a bad operation. While it is extremely difficult to imagine a worse operation than what we are currently witnessing, it is imperative that we not help management with their ineptitude. Doing so will beget further incompetence. While they hone their skills in the art of Propaganda at the CLT training center and to the investors, they continue to diminish any creditability they had to the employees and customers. As painful as it is to watch the awful treatment of our customers, enabling management will prolong that very treatment and guarantee long term failure. If you are at all concerned for both yours and the company’s future, please be rigid in your performance and enforcement of our contract. This is the quickest way to enact change.

No more Captain Nice Guy. No More First Officer Nice Guy.

Do not continue to shroud management's incapability by assisting in propping up their anarchic operation on a daily basis. Poor management teams will always rely on your pride and professionalism to mask their inability to actually run an efficient airline. Continued poor corporate performance due to management's ineptitude will be more likely to hasten a positive change from those of the bean counter mentality. Be steadfast in your resolve. We can and we will prevail.

One more item on this subject...apparently, management has had to hire an outside consulting firm to identify and recommend solutions with regards to the PHL ramp operation. That’s right; Management has hired an outside firm to do their work for them. Another round of bonuses is in order!

Next we will hear that the Company will be hiring a Chief Operating Officer that will be tasked with running an Airline…..there is a novel concept! Success fees for all!

PHL EMPLOYEE PARKING LOTS

The PHL parking lots like the Airport has reached saturation. Both the Cargo City and Bartram Lots have inadequate space mid day during shift changes. If the lots are full upon your arrival call the Chief Pilots office and advise them of your choice of actions. If you divert to a pay lot make sure you collect the estimated charges for parking prior to flying your trips. Please no more interest free loans to this company. Consider a sick call if you contract frustration induced anger. Remember what the FOM says about being fit for flight.

Must Ride for Trainingâ€

Be sure to advise the space positive desk that you need a “Must Ride for Training†when traveling to or from training. Do not request positive space. Positive space will not cut it. Flights have been extremely full and oversold and many of our pilots have been getting the run around when trying to book flights for training events. Be polite, but don’t get pushed around. Tell them that you are a “Must Ride for Trainingâ€. If the company fails to provide for your transportation to, or from training, when you finally get home advise the training schedulers and your Chief Pilot’s office that they will need to re-schedule your training events due to a failure to provide proper rest because of transportation. Enjoy your time off.

Follow the three prong approach, Fly safe, Family First, and SAP down for quality of life.

Why do I have the mental vision of a two year-old with a pillow over his/her head trying not to hear anything it doesn't want to hear? Rather then take the opportunity to engae Prater the LEC wants to ignore him. Are there going to be spies there to see which members may speak with him and will their tires be slashed?

Oh wait, you are an LGA pilot.....silly me.

Captain Prater is planning on being in PHL at the TGI Friday’s on Wednesday August 29, 2007.

If you, the Line Pilot, feel the need to confront Captain Prater with your grievances against the National Association, or negotiate with him, you should have taken the opportunity to do so at one of the other domiciles.

In other words, don't go and talk to Prater because we won't be there to coach you, prep you, tell you what to say, make sure you don't say anything we don't want you to say, or to control the message or the agenda. :rolleyes:

These guys are really transparent.

I swear to god, ------ If I ever hear that he's my captain ---------I'll say and do what ever I need to do to get off that aircraft.

Fade to black…………..
Fade to black…………..
Fade to black…………..
:wacko:

The whole world doesn't know whether to laugh or cry at the absolute stupidity of the "easties". My God, how did these "people" become pilots in the first place?
Irregardless of what you have to say most of you guys were scabs . You won the lottery with the N Award and just like a lottery winner you will be bankrupt in a year. Pray tell why would anyone clamor to hear the so-called President of ALPA show up and act like the gremlin he is..

Dear Captain Rowe, First Officer Ciabattoni, and Captain Portale,

I have received your August 24 update instructing Philadelphia-based pilots to ignore my scheduled visit next Wednesday. In other words, you are telling them not to allow the president of their Union to listen to them or, in turn, for them to hear me, at this critical time for the US Airways pilots.

For over 30 years, I have been an airline pilot, serving in union work through two bankruptcies, two furloughs, five mergers, and a 25-month strike. Never have I read a communication from elected representatives that attempted to convince the membership to boycott a meeting with their Union president.

Along with members of the Rice Committee and the Executive Council—pilots from other airlines who are united in the efforts toward a solution—I have been meeting in AAA bases all week, listening to everything those pilots have wanted to tell me. And the pilots in Boston , New York , Washington , DC , and Charlotte have listened to me, with patience and professionalism, offering their own solutions. I was joined by their local council representatives, who participated in our search for alternatives.

While during these discussions we may not have come up with all the solutions, we certainly did come to understand the issues and the viewpoints more clearly. This kind of ongoing dialogue is essential to creating a concrete solution to the disagreements that are threatening to tear US Airways pilots apart. Without open communication, the solidarity that is our strength will be destroyed.

I am not afraid to stand among my fellow pilots and hear what they have to say. I know ALPA pilots are not afraid to voice their concerns and opinions, and that, if given the opportunity, they will engage in a productive dialogue with the members of our team.

I will be in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, August 28, from 10 to 5 in the crew room, and in Philadelphia on Wednesday, August 29, from 10 to 5 at the Airport Marriott in a private room, meeting with any US Airways pilots who want to tell me their complaints, their opinions, and their ideas. As union leaders, you and I have a responsibility to find solutions that benefit our members. As union leaders, we have a responsibility to be there for our members when they have a problem. On Wednesday, I’ll be there.

In Unity,

John Prater, President

cc: All AAA pilots
AAA MEC
Executive Board
Executive Council
National Officers

Attachment

Irregardless of what you have to say most of you guys were scabs . You won the lottery with the N Award and just like a lottery winner you will be bankrupt in a year. Pray tell why would anyone clamor to hear the so-called President of ALPA show up and act like the gremlin he is..
You typed "Irregardless".

Are you sheeting me!?!?!?

You are obviously a lurker and an moronic one at that.

I must now "Shuuuush" you.

:down:

A statement like that just makes you sound stupid. I'd be surprised if more than 4% of the Westies ever scabbed...

I was told by A&W management (CP office) that quite a bit of the entire entry classes at A&W were, for the most part, composed of scabs, which, of course, begs your ignorance, forgivable since you are likely very inexperienced.

You typed "Irregardless".

Are you sheeting me!?!?!?

You are obviously a lurker and an moronic one at that.

I must now "Shuuuush" you.

:down:

Mustashita,

Can't seem to counter the substance so you (think) you can pick at the messenger.

OK, little girl. Most any good American English Dictionary.

irregardless |ˌiriˈgärdlis|
adjective & adverb informal
regardless.
ORIGIN early 20th cent.: probably a blend of irrespective and regardless .

You know what the word means.

Now to ask you. What does "Shuuuush" mean? Is that an actionable threat? and, "sheeting"?
Did you get short-sheeted again at the fine hostelries provided by the hotel person in Tempe?

US Airways ALPA PHL LEC Update - August 24, 2007

The Window of Opportunity Has Closed

We feel the best way to send a message to Captain Prater is to not acknowledge his message - IGNORE HIS PRESENCE AS ALPA HAS IGNORED US FOR YEARS. We understand an even stronger message may be sent to Captain Prater and ALPA in the following months by the US Airways pilots.

If you, the Line Pilot, feel the need to confront Captain Prater with your grievances against the National Association, or negotiate with him, you should have taken the opportunity to do so at one of the other domiciles. He will be in PIT next week on Tuesday August 28, 2007.

As he has shown, in his video and communications to you, along with the recent polling by ALPA national, Captain Prater is here to “manage†your expectations, to soften you up for the Rice Committee findings and recommendations. For the PHL reps, the US Airways Pilots seniority is not for sale. The only acceptable solution is to overturn the Nicolau award. It is the only thing that will save this union and strengthen it for the future. We are disappointed that Captain Prater continues to hide behind his Attorneys and legal advisors while our future and seniority hangs in the balance, subject to lawyers advice, polling, and ALPA national committees.

From our first meeting on Sunday Night May 6, 2007 with Captain Prater three days after the Nicolau Award was released till today we have been consistent with your message and intent. We informed Captain Prater at that first meeting that he had a very short window of opportunity to act swiftly and decisively on behalf of our pilots and the Association. He has failed to do so, and as indicated in his August 3, 2007 communication to all pilots he has no intention of doing so. Any further communication with Captain Prater is a waste of our time in advocating for you our pilots.

The Nicolau award is flawed and goes against the very basic tenet of unionism and the foundation of the Airline Industry, which is seniority. Captain Prater and ALPA national can try to paint the pig any way they want, but this pig will not fly at US Airways. The Nicolau award must be overturned. It is the only right thing to do.

Free Lunch for Management

It is undeniable that the Nicolau Award has set us back in our efforts to raise the bar for our pilots and our profession. Over the past three months we have listened to your concerns and carried your message to both our Company and our National Associations. We have been clear and consistent with that message. Unfortunately, it is clear that the Company, our Association, and the AWA MEC through their communications to you and others, all doubt your resolve and commitment. We don’t! We hear and see your actions. We are encouraged by the new level of union activism.

When it comes to equal and fair treatment relative to wages, management will not do the right thing based on either the pilot's outrage or their own virtue. The only way for our pilots to receive fair and equitable treatment from this management team is for us collectively to end the free lunch provided them by our pilots who continually do work beyond that which is in their job description. Our Company should be staffed with enough personnel to do the things we pilots often offer to do for free once we've met our contractual obligations. Follow your contract - the ALPA contract - not the IAM or CWA or even AFA contract. No more stepping into the way of the other unions. Your contract does not set pay rates for aircraft cleaning, baggage handling, or catering.

Remember, a professional pilot always keeps his priorities straight: Safety, comfort, economy. Even the FOM repeats this.

We can’t tell you how many times we have heard our pilots admonish us for not leading a job action against management. They are right in that it is the quickest way to solicit results. But as your union leadership, we can’t under the Railway Labor law.

The message to management must come from you, the pilots, collectively and of without coercion.

However, we can all learn a lesson from Northwest Airlines this summer. The NWA pilots had had enough and all of them, the entire NWA pilot group decided to “do their own job.†What did they receive? Elimination of half pay for Dead Head, Time and a half for over 80 hours, $1000 for not calling in sick through September 15th, and the hiring of new pilots. Not bad. Have you had enough?

Remember these prolific words from our leader Mr. Doug Parker:

There is nothing more expensive than running a bad operation. While it is extremely difficult to imagine a worse operation than what we are currently witnessing, it is imperative that we not help management with their ineptitude. Doing so will beget further incompetence. While they hone their skills in the art of Propaganda at the CLT training center and to the investors, they continue to diminish any creditability they had to the employees and customers. As painful as it is to watch the awful treatment of our customers, enabling management will prolong that very treatment and guarantee long term failure. If you are at all concerned for both yours and the company’s future, please be rigid in your performance and enforcement of our contract. This is the quickest way to enact change.

No more Captain Nice Guy. No More First Officer Nice Guy.

Do not continue to shroud management's incapability by assisting in propping up their anarchic operation on a daily basis. Poor management teams will always rely on your pride and professionalism to mask their inability to actually run an efficient airline. Continued poor corporate performance due to management's ineptitude will be more likely to hasten a positive change from those of the bean counter mentality. Be steadfast in your resolve. We can and we will prevail.

One more item on this subject...apparently, management has had to hire an outside consulting firm to identify and recommend solutions with regards to the PHL ramp operation. That’s right; Management has hired an outside firm to do their work for them. Another round of bonuses is in order!

Next we will hear that the Company will be hiring a Chief Operating Officer that will be tasked with running an Airline…..there is a novel concept! Success fees for all!

PHL EMPLOYEE PARKING LOTS

The PHL parking lots like the Airport has reached saturation. Both the Cargo City and Bartram Lots have inadequate space mid day during shift changes. If the lots are full upon your arrival call the Chief Pilots office and advise them of your choice of actions. If you divert to a pay lot make sure you collect the estimated charges for parking prior to flying your trips. Please no more interest free loans to this company. Consider a sick call if you contract frustration induced anger. Remember what the FOM says about being fit for flight.

Must Ride for Trainingâ€

Be sure to advise the space positive desk that you need a “Must Ride for Training†when traveling to or from training. Do not request positive space. Positive space will not cut it. Flights have been extremely full and oversold and many of our pilots have been getting the run around when trying to book flights for training events. Be polite, but don’t get pushed around. Tell them that you are a “Must Ride for Trainingâ€. If the company fails to provide for your transportation to, or from training, when you finally get home advise the training schedulers and your Chief Pilot’s office that they will need to re-schedule your training events due to a failure to provide proper rest because of transportation. Enjoy your time off.

Follow the three prong approach, Fly safe, Family First, and SAP down for quality of life.

Some of the claims you make in your post that appear to have no basis in reality....

Latest posts

Back