Additional widebody aircraft

2 friends got back from initial purser training about a week ago. Different departments came in to speak with the purser class. They were told we'd be acquiring 15 JAL 777s. That's their plan. Things could change. I disctinctly remember them telling us a few years ago at the JFK purser conference we'd be getting Nice, Dusseldorf, Munich and a few other flights out of JFK and we still haven't seen any of them. We'll see where this goes but the rumors were confirmed from the mouth of headquarters' management.

2 friends got back from initial purser training about a week ago. Different departments came in to speak with the purser class. They were told we'd be acquiring 15 JAL 777s. That's their plan. Things could change. I disctinctly remember them telling us a few years ago at the JFK purser conference we'd be getting Nice, Dusseldorf, Munich and a few other flights out of JFK and we still haven't seen any of them. We'll see where this goes but the rumors were confirmed from the mouth of headquarters' management.

JAL has a total of 15 A-market PW-powered 777s (not ERs) which it will be phasing out with the reductions in domestic flights; I have long posted that used A-market 777s would be perfect replacements for the AB6 fleet. Plenty of cargo capacity and plenty of passenger seats for those dense, short-range flights. Perhaps AA is thinking of acquiring those -200s for the cargo-heavy Caribbean routes now flown by 763s which could be put to much better use on premium-heavy long-haul routes. 763s can easily fly West coast to Japan or Europe. And the 777s can hold far more containers than the cargo-capacity-challenged 763s.

There's still zero chance that JAL will dispose of any of its 777-300ERs - those planes are replacing JAL's 744s as that fleet will soon be retired in its entirety. JAL does have seven A-market 777-300s, but those are so much larger than the AB6s that it wouldn't make sense to add them. 777-300s are essentially two-engine 747s in size and capacity.

I agree on the A-markets being a good value -- they're not what anyone else wants for longhaul, so the price will be right.

From LAX, they have the range to make Japan but not Europe. From JFK and ORD, they have range to hit most of Europe, but not Japan.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=gig,+gru,+hkg,+nrt,+fco,+los,+cai&R=5000nm%40JFK%0d%0a5000nm%40ORD%0d%0a5000nm%40LAX%0d%0a5000nm%40DFW%0d%0a&RC=%2523000080&DU=mi

Last time I remember discussing A-markets was back when NHBB was still around. Anyone still in contact with him?

JAL has a total of 15 A-market PW-powered 777s (not ERs) which it will be phasing out with the reductions in domestic flights; I have long posted that used A-market 777s would be perfect replacements for the AB6 fleet. Plenty of cargo capacity and plenty of passenger seats for those dense, short-range flights. Perhaps AA is thinking of acquiring those -200s for the cargo-heavy Caribbean routes now flown by 763s which could be put to much better use on premium-heavy long-haul routes. 763s can easily fly West coast to Japan or Europe. And the 777s can hold far more containers than the cargo-capacity-challenged 763s.

There's still zero chance that JAL will dispose of any of its 777-300ERs - those planes are replacing JAL's 744s as that fleet will soon be retired in its entirety. JAL does have seven A-market 777-300s, but those are so much larger than the AB6s that it wouldn't make sense to add them. 777-300s are essentially two-engine 747s in size and capacity.
The 777 is way too heavy for flghts such as to the Caribbean. Even if cargo is valuable, you must have viable passenger revenue and yields in the Caribbean continue to decline which is why AA is one of the fastest shrinking airlines in the Caribbean.

The 772 is still heavy for an 8-10 hr flight; the 333 weighs about 50K pounds less and carries about the same amount of pax and cargo over a similar distance... but I'm not expecting AA to go looking for any Airbus aircraft, used or new. But the only value non-ER 777s would have would be on routes up to 5000 miles which would include key TATL and S. America routes, although the nonER 777 might not have the power needed for GRU. It doesn't make much sense to put a nonER on the Pacific because part of the value there is the ability to carry cargo and nonERs will be at the limits of their range and weight just w/ passengers.
Keep in mind also that neither AA or JL has a LAX-HND route while DL and NH both will have one as well as will continue to operate NRT services; AA's best chances from LAX to Asia are other than to Japan where it has been a distant #3 to DL/NW and UA for years. The situation will not be any different from SFO. The only other possible TPAC use would be HNL-Japan.

It is very possible that AA could go after the 772 or 3 nonERs, with the greatest likelihood being between the NE and Europe. Either airplane is very capable of flying JFK or ORD to LHR or MAD which is likely where AA needs to add the most capacity.

Reactions: 1 person
For all intents and purposes, the -300 will be a new fleet type. I'd imagine there's >80% parts commonality, but it's the engines and differences in avionics that really screws things up...
And you'd be amazed how many differences there are in the gear and avionics. The GE is a piece of cake and the reversers are pretty much the same.

Just flew with a captain thatsaid the company recalled a whole bunch of 777 instructors and check airman. He feels that a major announcement is coming in the next couple of months.

Just flew with a captain thatsaid the company recalled a whole bunch of 777 instructors and check airman. He feels that a major announcement is coming in the next couple of months.

To add to the rumors, in Sep our 757 DFW CA , was going to an interview for 777, apperntly for CK Airman, and he said there is more to come with the 777. The other day from CDG, one crew member was talking about JAL 777 and now Emerits has entered the mix, they are looking at a 747-400/A-300 fleet and want to trade/swap their 777 for Jal's 747-400. It gets more interesting, and the 777 rumor legs keep on growing,not to mention the fun with it all.

Any rumors heard from the pilot or FA group is just jibberish at this time. While I hope they are true, we don't know squat and anybody in the cockpit or galley passing these things off as gospel is a fool. Most of these rumors are coming out of the Flight Academy in DFW which is notorious for producing more quantities of B.S. than the Texas cattle industry. Everytime i go back for my sims I find soemthing new and disturbing about that place :p

Reactions: 1 person
Ok no more rumor from pilots and flight attendants. Lol

That pretty much covers it. ;)

The best and most accurate info comes from the mechanics and rampers. A pilot manager can lock himself in his office and study a new 777-300 manual and you'd never know it. Planning can also probably keep their mouths shut since it involves a relatively small group. What you can't keep secret is a mechanic going to a GE-90 school, or engineering measuring the ramp footprint for a 777-300 in front of a few rampers.

If only a rumour, the 777s would make sense. I cannot see the 747s entering the fray. Back to 4 engines, training, tooling, parts, etc....doesn't make sense unless BA operates them.

Attended purser walk a mile and was told by the presenter that we are purchasing 777-300s from JAL. No mention whatsoever of 747.

I'm hearing 7 Triple Sevens is the "Big Announcement." Compared to the elimination of the A300 fleet last year along (35 acft), the "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" is just a drop in the bucket just to get back to acft numbers from not too long ago.

Latest posts