America West Airlines had 4 Boeing 747 jets in 1989!

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
America West Airlines has purchased 4 Boeing B747-206B from KLM in 1989 and fly 747 nonstop only from PHX to HNL, LAS and JFK, from HNL to PHX, LAS and Nagoya, Japan, from JFK to PHX, from LAS to HNL and PHX and from Nagoya, Japan to HNL. But stopped flying 747 in 1992 after filed in bankruptcy.

Former AWA B747-206B with JT9D-7W engines and (configured 381 seats in 3 classes 18/69/294).
Fate registered numbers was:
N531AW cn19922
N532AW cn19923
N533AW cn19924
N534AW cn20398

I believe there are some identifiable skeleton parts of ex-America West 747's at the Kingman AZ airport or Mojave Desert in CA.

US Airways never had flying classic Boeing 747 jet before. Why not thinking about in ordering new advanced-technology Boeing 747-8 jet? Will US Airways consider to fly new nonstop international flights from Phoenix to Tokyo and Sydney or Melbourne Australia in 2010s or future?

These old pictures was taken in Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in 1989.
0061965.jpg

0091096.jpg

Scrapped!
0202929.jpg

It would be nice to see an America West Heritage Plane done in the Old Livery, I like it much better than the "more current" one. Much classier.

I had the chance to fly on one from Phoenix all the way to Las Vegas. And what's funny is on the return it was an America West "mainline" dash 8! Talk about going from one end of the spectrum to the other!

Thanks for posting the photos, Dinamondbacks.
And, I agree with Flyguy, I'd rather see the original livery for the HP heritage plane. Too late, tho.

Why not thinking about in ordering new advanced-technology Boeing 747-8 jet? Will US Airways consider to fly new nonstop international flights from Phoenix to Tokyo and Sydney or Melbourne Australia in 2010s or future?
Probably because US Airways has already placed an order for A350s which have about the same range as a 747-800 and could easily fly PHX-NRT or even PHX-HKG.
If US gets the A350-800 it could make PHX-MEL or PHX-SYD.

range in Nautical Miles
747-800 = 8,000 nm
A350-800 = 8,800 nm
A350-900 = 7,500 nm

PHX-HKG = 6,563 nm
PHX-NRT = 5,010 nm
PHX-MEL = 7,149 nm
PHX-SYD = 6,777 nm

I had the chance to fly on one from Phoenix all the way to Las Vegas. And what's funny is on the return it was an America West "mainline" dash 8! Talk about going from one end of the spectrum to the other!

Hey, I did the same thing! Right near the end for both types in mainline HP service--early '91. What was even cooler was that the "Dasher" portion was a 'milk run' with the stops at GCN (my destination, actually) and FLG. Great scenic flight!

Hey, I did the same thing! Right near the end for both types in mainline HP service--early '91. What was even cooler was that the "Dasher" portion was a 'milk run' with the stops at GCN (my destination, actually) and FLG. Great scenic flight!
I was on the very first PHX-LAS flight on the 747, and then on to HNL, those were the days. The 747 service was great.

Of course, I also got stuck in the infamous fuselage damaged flight out of HNL when we only had one plane left and had to cancel 4 days worth of flights.

That was an all nighter at the airport before we found passage on a Phillipines 747 to SFO.

It was an ego trip all the way for Mike and Ed.
AND WE PAID FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!
You know the EMPLOYEES at AWA.................. :shock:
AS WE ALWAYS DO AT AWA. :shock: :(
HAY LOOK MIKE AND EDS PARACHUTES OPENED LOOK HOW GOLDEN THEY ARE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :unsure: AND US LOL (THE NEW AIRLINE LOL). BET THE NEXT ONE LAUGH'S AT US ON THE WAY OUT. :shock: AS THE ONE DID BEFORE HIM.

IS IT ONLY ME OR DO YOU ALL FEEL IT BUSTED OFF IN YOUR ASS MY AIRLINE BROTHERS. :shock:

Just For All You That Tip For Good Service 10% is the standard but I Guss cold Pizza 3 Times A YEAR Is OK For The Dogs.
BUT JUST A REMINDER THE COST OF LIVING GOES UP 3 TO 5 % A YEAR So If YOU Do Not Get A Increase In PAY FOR 5 YEARS.. LOL. DO THE MATH. :shock:
ITS OK THE COMPANY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU..WE AT AWA HAVE INSIGHT ON THAT.
AWA MANAGMENT IN 1995 :lol:
:rant: LOL

Quick note.

As an US/HP customer, I really hope you vent the frustration outside of work. I think here is probably ok, but sad to see so many employees basically bitter. I think it would help, if the employees tried to stay positive about the new company. I think it has alot of potential....

Just my 2 cents.

Quick note.

As an US/HP customer, I really hope you vent the frustration outside of work. I think here is probably ok, but sad to see so many employees basically bitter. I think it would help, if the employees tried to stay positive about the new company. I think it has alot of potential....

Just my 2 cents.

Theres an old saying...."as long as they make noise you can judge and prepare, its when they become silent that you need to worry"

Latest posts