Admiral's Club Question

ChrisUS

Senior
Aug 20, 2005
I have a question about the Admiral's club. Thinking of joining but as a retiree, whenever I would fly say, British or another one world carrier on a pass, would I be allowed to use their club even though I am not a revenue passenger?  Hopefully there is someone out there that knows for sure. 

If you have a membership and a boarding pass for that day, I'd think you should be able to go in regardless if it's a pass or revenue.

Haven't been around AA since they changed the policy, but I have friends at UA who bought memberships and they can get in with a standby card.

What they won't allow you to do is come in without a boarding pass, e.g. drop by for a drink after (or before) work or on a random day off.

Admirals Club membership won't get you into any other airline clubs except for some Alaska Boardrooms, Qantas clubs and some other partner lounges around the world where AA does not have an Admirals Club (ICN, HKG, FRA, etc).

If you can physically get inside the terminal containing an Admirals Club, then your membership will admit you even if you're not flying AA that day, as AA does not require boarding passes if you are a member. I believe that UA requires that its members be flying UA that day, but AA does not.

If you're flying BA, you won't be admitted to BA's lounges unless you have Oneworld status or a boarding pass for first or business class. Same with other Oneworld airlines - nonrev passengers won't be admitted. And if you're flying BA at LHR from T-5, you won't be able to get into T-3 to visit the Admirals Club.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
If you have a membership and a boarding pass for that day, I'd think you should be able to go in regardless if it's a pass or revenue.

Haven't been around AA since they changed the policy, but I have friends at UA who bought memberships and they can get in with a standby card.

What they won't allow you to do is come in without a boarding pass, e.g. drop by for a drink after (or before) work or on a random day off.
FWIW Delta also allows non-revs to have SkyClub memberships (they didn't for the longest time, matter of fact I believe it changes post merger when they relaxed the dress code). 
I believe you have to be flying that day though. 

ChrisUS...If you're interested in an Admiral's Club membership, I HIGHLY recommend getting the Citi Executive World Elite Mastercard, which gives you a Club membership plus a lot more.

http://thepointsguy.com/card-details/221410949/

It has an annual fee of $450, which is $50 less than getting a membership directly with the club, plus you get 50,000 ADV miles.  They'll also reimburse you $100 for a Global Entry application.  

You can bring in either 2 guests or all your immediate family members.  In addition, every other Authorized card holder on your account gets Club access as well.  They're not members...but you don't have to be with them for them to access the club.

One other cool thing, when you travel on ADV miles or purchased ticket, you get to use the Priority Access line.

Reactions: 1 person
AirwAr said:
ChrisUS...If you're interested in an Admiral's Club membership, I HIGHLY recommend getting the Citi Executive World Elite Mastercard, which gives you a Club membership plus a lot more.

http://thepointsguy.com/card-details/221410949/

It has an annual fee of $450, which is $50 less than getting a membership directly with the club, plus you get 50,000 ADV miles.  They'll also reimburse you $100 for a Global Entry application.  

You can bring in either 2 guests or all your immediate family members.  In addition, every other Authorized card holder on your account gets Club access as well.  They're not members...but you don't have to be with them for them to access the club.

One other cool thing, when you travel on ADV miles or purchased ticket, you get to use the Priority Access line.

Thanks for the tip and great minds think alike!  :) I did exactly this 3 days before your post. I was reading in the rules and it did say you show a boarding pass or standby card. 

ChrisUS said:

Thanks for the tip and great minds think alike!  :) I did exactly this 3 days before your post. I was reading in the rules and it did say you show a boarding pass or standby card. 

Are you referring to getting access to partner clubs?  Because, you don't have to show a boarding pass or standby card to get into the Admirals Club.

I didn't know that....thanks for the info.