Question about Non-Rev

As a x-TWA er and now AA retiree I can say that AA was light years ahead of TWA in the listing of non-revs. Certainly a more fair, transparent and equitable system here at AA.

But getting a First Class seat as a non rev, is rare nowadays.

I would say in one word forgetaboutit.

As a flight attendant you have the jumpseat as a backup and we come ahead of American Eagle fas for the jumpseat. So, if we do merge, you can count on your jumpseat as a last resort. Best time to non-rev is probably the same for any airline Jan-Feb, Sept-Oct. Any other time, it's not worth the aggravation, unless it's for going to and from work.

As a flight attendant you have the jumpseat as a backup and we come ahead of American Eagle fas for the jumpseat. So, if we do merge, you can count on your jumpseat as a last resort. Best time to non-rev is probably the same for any airline Jan-Feb, Sept-Oct. Any other time, it's not worth the aggravation, unless it's for going to and from work.
US has a registered companion option on the term pass, does AA?

<_< ------ O.K., let's reverse this! I have a question about USairway's non-reving. I know it's based on seniority, I understand that because I'm exTWA, and that's how TWA handled it. But, how do they handle retirees? And I agree with barfbag, I feel AA's system is much better than what we had at TWA.

<_< ------ O.K., let's reverse this! I have a question about USairway's non-reving. I know it's based on seniority, I understand that because I'm exTWA, and that's how TWA handled it. But, how do they handle retirees? And I agree with barfbag, I feel AA's system is much better than what we had at TWA.

At pre merger US, retirees kept their priority classification and seniority date. With the adoption of HP policy, retirees are now S4, active employees are S3.

I was afaid of that.------ That's the way it was with TWA. But at AA, retirees board the same as active employees. Another reason I like AA's system.

Reactions: 1 person
Somewhere I've heard/read that AA give employees the option of designating a sibling in place a a parent (a nice thing for those whose parents are deceased). Is this correct?

I don't know the answer to that but I think it would be a good idea......Also...UA allows employees to opt out of the buddy pass program and in return, they get to add another person to their flight benefits. That to me would be valuable.

With the adoption of HP policy, retirees are now S4, active employees are S3.

It's a little more complex than that.

SA1 - vacation passes - employees get 4/year and retirees get 2
SA2 - (?? maybe applicants coming in for job interview ??)
SA3 - active employees (and dependents traveling with employee)
SA4 - dependents of active employees traveling without employee OR
SA4 - retiree (and dependents if traveling with retiree)
SA5 - retiree's dependents traveling without the retiree

Within same priority DOH is used (i.e., 2 SA3's would get seats by DOH)

Vacation passes can be used for one-way or round trip. Must book return at same time as outbound for round trip.

So first is priority code, then DOH within priority code.

Jim

Dependents and parents of an employee are a very specific carve-out from the IRS. I've never seen an exception to that other than the registered companion, and that's only allowed in lieu of a domestic partner or spouse.

AA has long had a "pass" benefit for anyone the employee wants - the employee just incurred imputed income so they weren't considered free/reduced rate travel benefits by the IRS since the imputed income covered the incremental cost of the transportation provided. Over the last decade or more most/all airlines have started offering pretty much the same, calling them "buddy" passes, etc. But they aren't true non-rev passes.

Jim