Us/awa Mec Meet

firstamendment

Veteran
Apr 1, 2003
Visit site
FLIGHT ATTENDANT UNION LEADERS DISCUSS MERGER

America West and US Airways flight attendant union leaders hold first merger session

Washington, D.C. - Flight attendant union leaders from America West Airlines and US Airways held their first joint merger session Wednesday, June 8 in Washington, DC. The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA) represents both flight attendant groups.

AFA-CWA International President Patricia Friend organized the meeting, which is mandated by the union's Constitution and Bylaws. The purpose of the meeting is to orient both sides on the union's merger policy, which governs contract rules and seniority issues.

"The America West/US Airways merger will provide long-term job security for flight attendants at both airlines. This merger involves the complex task of integrating two flight attendant seniority lists and negotiating a merged contract," said Friend. "This meeting brought the two parties together to initiate that process."

"Both sides agree that negotiating fence agreements in order to protect flight attendants at each base is an initial and necessary step," said Bill McGlashen, AFA America West Master Executive Council President. "Fence agreements put up an imaginary fence around each base and effectively say that all known flying conducted in that base shall be done by flight attendants already in that base for a period of time."

Seniority is a sensitive issue in the airline industry because it governs a flight attendant's monthly schedule including the holidays they have off, which aircraft they work, and the types of flights they staff.

"The two sides have met and now have a clear picture of how we will make this merger work," said Teddy Xidas, AFA US Airways Master Executive Council President. "We are all aware of the timelines ahead and are looking forward to working with each other."

Sounds like the f/a leadership from BOTH US Airways AND America West realize the importance of honoring our bylaws and providing protective fences.

For all those blasting me for stating the facts about DOH and painting me as the evil selfish, entitled employee, read it and weep. I hope this will silence certAAin individuals. Why do I doubt that? :p

oh how quiet things are when groups get along, Hey famikey and formermoderAAtor..where is your doom and gloom? You guys just hate the good.