AFA Pres Perry Hayes Tells it like it is!

karen is a sweet person, but let''s face it, on her watch we got the first round of getting screwed by dave and company...the pay cuts, the medical changes...i could go on...but she had such a good relationship with management...i guess in your mind our union reps should all have their heads up management''s butts

From AFA:

With the further staffing reductions on the aircraft,
please remember the following: You are not required
to work any faster simply because the Company has made
a bad decision. Simply because some number crunchers
who have no idea how to do our job have come up with
another bad idea doesn''t mean you have to work any
harder. In fact, you should spend more time with each
individual passenger while serving in these understaffed
situations so our customers can see just how much we
care. No one says every passenger on every flight has
to be served. We can only do the best we can so just
serve as many as you can. If the Company cares so much
about the customers, they will have to staff the aircraft
accordingly. Don''t rush. Take your time. It''s a flight
from point A to point B. It is not a restaurant or
bar. After all, if you go to McDonald''s, you get a
burger, not transportation.

===========================================================

I think the point here is for flight attendants to do what we can without endangering our own safety. If you actually think management cares about our health or well being, just ask some one who has been hurt on the job. Believe me, you get treated like dirt. You could have broken bone protruding and most likely you''ll be told it''s not serious. I don''t know where the company finds its "industrial doctors" but my experience with them hasn''t left me impressed. AFA hasn''t done much to help injured flight attendants. They don''t get involved with Worker Comp issues. My best advice to anyone injured on the job is to call a lawyer first -- then see the doctor. Better yet, take extra care NOT to get injured in the first place.

Our workplace is dangerous. Clear air turbulance can be violent with no warning. The galleys are not designed to be worker-friendly. We are exposed to colds, flu and God only knows what every day. And now that some of us are too worried to call in sick, I suspect we''ll now be working with other flight attendants who come to work when ill.

I''m no fan of Perry Hayes. However, I am very worried about on-the-job injuries. I believe our pax deserve the best service we are able to give them but I won''t risk personal injury by getting up before it''s safe. I''m not going to start setting up the galley before the cabin is level. I''m not going to attempt yanking the carts up the aisle unless I know it''s not going to hurt me or others to do so.

It''s a shame our service will most likely suffer. Our pax deserve better. But we also deserve to be able to deliver a proper service without risking injury. I''ll continue to do the best I can and I''m sure most flight attendants will do so as well. Management has to recognize there are limits to what can be done and safety for the pax and crew must be the first consideration.

Well I am a Big fan of Perry Hayes, the MEC President of U AFA. I've seen his work from 1996 through 1999 as the MEC President, and he did a great job. He never caves in to mangement. Keep in mind, his term ended in 1999, and Lynn took over then, and participated in the last rounds of negotiations for our ratified 2000 agreement, not Perry.

I've seen him in action AND HE PLAYS NO FAVORITES AND DOES NOT BUDDY UP TO LITTLE BASE PRESIDENTS OR BIG BASE PRESIDENTS. He conducts AFA business and moves it along. When it comes to management BS and trying to smoosh the leadership, thay can't get close to Perry. He is all business, and I mean AFA business and protecting the flight attendants to the best of anyone's ability, especially in this environment.

He knows our contract like no other leader on the property, and his loyalty to this f/a group as our MEC President is unwavering!

Just remeber...the FAA says that you need 1 FA per 50 seats.......and we no how sharp the FAA is!!!! So why should management be any sharper!!!

Pitbull,

So, exactly what does our new sick call policy mean? If I call in sick, can''t claim to my option, does that mean I get a low block letter? Like most of us, I''m very confused as to what this new policy means.

As I understand it, it seems you''re better off to call in sick for half the month rather than just one trip. Doesn''t make sense and appears to open the door to abuse just to get paid.

----------------
On 4/12/2003 9:09:56 PM Dea Certe wrote:

Pitbull,

So, exactly what does our new sick call policy mean? If I call in sick, can''t claim to my option, does that mean I get a low block letter? Like most of us, I''m very confused as to what this new policy means.

As I understand it, it seems you''re better off to call in sick for half the month rather than just one trip. Doesn''t make sense and appears to open the door to abuse just to get paid.

----------------​

Hey Dea!

I hope you''re hanging in there with all the nonsense going on! Here''s my thoughts on your question for PITbull. I''m not sure it is much help, but then that''s the situation Jerry Glass and his entourage have concocted....

By all reports, management was unable to explain this "policy" to AFA reps, and, in fact contradicts themselves everytime they try to explain it again, so I don''t know if anyone is in a position to responsibly explain the new "policy" IMO, the best bet continues to be for every f/a to get Inflight to explain how it will work in different scenarios and what will be worth what.

It appears, however, that you are essentially correct. The new policy appears to penalize those who try to do the right thing by only staying out the minimum time when they are sick. Strange are the ways of this strange management group.

Good luck to all of us!
-Airlineorphan

Dea,

I can say to you this...that the 45 words that are in the ratified revised winter proposal is NOT what this management has implemented. The PIT Local President had stated in her Dec 21 correspondence to the PIT f/as is how can anyone vote for a proposal that is vague and open ended with regard to sick. The ITD sick was not even mentioned in the winter proposal. Evidently, the PIT f/as agreed.

Now, here we sit, with the company implementing and creating their own language. The original language mirrored the pilots, and that it was to be a 5 hour penalty for all. This new convoluted application the company is implementing is not what was discussed at the table and it effects different option f/as more harsh then others. In other words, some f/as get hit harder than others in a pay penalty. The union Leadership is referring all f/as to contact their supervisors when they have a claim and the supervisors will have to do their job and explain this Company system to the f/as. In the mean time, AFA is grieving this piece same as ALPA. I personally believe, since it effects both groups very harshly and forced employees to come to work sick in order to be pay protected...that this may be considered a MAJOR dispute.

Can anyone on the outside possibly imagine any mangement that has a corporation our size implementing pay penalties for being sick?

As far as a "low block" infraction/discipline...that is an issue. I know that the PIT President is on "high alert" and just waiting for the first low block letter to go out for this type of sick penalty and then folks being disciplined for not getting in their hours...especially those who have the hours sitting in their bank, and can't access it to bring them to their time. She will be all over mangement over this, and even calling for media attention.

That is why I say, be very good to the customer and treat them well on our flights. We may need their support in the future. I know that Pittsburgh community is seeing up close what this management is all about....as the Pittsburgh Local President said to Executive Jim Roddey..."Welcome to our world".

Wow, exagony, you managed to sling a good few insults into one post. If you are a pilot, I for one, hope I never encounter you. The whole boyfriends (male and female) thing was riduculous. An attempt to insult our male collegues- heres a clue: the gay ones dont feel threatened by you or any other yahoos, and the hetero ones are obviouly intelligent and secure enough to not care what you think about them. As far as cleaning planes go, mainline F/As do clean planes in many if not most of the stations nowadays- I''ve been Express and mainline, and give me 30 seats with no meals to clean anyday. And checking out equiptment, preparing the cabin etc on a Dash or ERJ is a little bit different than an A330. Most F/As do not make 50k a year- I never made more than 21, that was before pay cuts and getting furloughed. Your 9-11 comment was shockingly tasteless (are you sure youre in the industry?) and your digs at democrats and vegetarians were uneccesary and bizarre. Now be a good boy and stop playing with daddy''s computer.

----------------
On 4/13/2003 1:55:07 AM Light Years wrote:

Wow, exagony, you managed to sling a good few insults into one post. If you are a pilot, I for one, hope I never encounter you. The whole boyfriends (male and female) thing was riduculous. An attempt to insult our male collegues- heres a clue: the gay ones dont feel threatened by you or any other yahoos, and the hetero ones are obviouly intelligent and secure enough to not care what you think about them. As far as cleaning planes go, mainline F/As do clean planes in many if not most of the stations nowadays- I''ve been Express and mainline, and give me 30 seats with no meals to clean anyday. And checking out equiptment, preparing the cabin etc on a Dash or ERJ is a little bit different than an A330. Most F/As do not make 50k a year- I never made more than 21, that was before pay cuts and getting furloughed. Your 9-11 comment was shockingly tasteless (are you sure youre in the industry?) and your digs at democrats and vegetarians were uneccesary and bizarre. Now be a good boy and stop playing with daddy''s computer.

----------------​

I see the that the truth being let out touched a nerve with you. Oh well .

----------------
On 4/13/2003 7:15:56 AM exagony wrote:

----------------

Wow, exagony, you managed to sling a good few insults into one post. If you are a pilot, I for one, hope I never encounter you. The whole boyfriends (male and female) thing was riduculous. An attempt to insult our male collegues- heres a clue: the gay ones dont feel threatened by you or any other yahoos, and the hetero ones are obviouly intelligent and secure enough to not care what you think about them. As far as cleaning planes go, mainline F/As do clean planes in many if not most of the stations nowadays- I've been Express and mainline, and give me 30 seats with no meals to clean anyday. And checking out equiptment, preparing the cabin etc on a Dash or ERJ is a little bit different than an A330. Most F/As do not make 50k a year- I never made more than 21, that was before pay cuts and getting furloughed. Your 9-11 comment was shockingly tasteless (are you sure youre in the industry?) and your digs at democrats and vegetarians were uneccesary and bizarre. Now be a good boy and stop playing with daddy's computer.

----------------​

I see the that the truth being let out touched a nerve with you. Oh well .

----------------​

Gee, Exagony, I think it's a reach to describe Light Year's post as 'touchy' or 'nervy.' It appears to me to be pretty, cool, calm and collected. Regardless of the sentiment being expressed, I think that there is NO question that your posts are 'nervy,' 'touchy,' and, I'll add angry and uptight. Ask a composition teacher.

But then, why do I engage in these questions. You may be trying to seem irrational to inspire an irrational response, rather than actually being irrational. It seems to me that you've only inspired rational responses on both sides.

----------------

----------------
Light years,

LOL....that was excellent!

EXAGONY, You sound alot like the guy on the UAL board that bragged about pilots becomeing senators, lawyers, and spacemen....so what...baby you are nothing but an employee number...like the rest of us. I have always enjoyed and respected most of our pilots but your total disrespect for a very demanding job and the people who take care of alot of problems you know nothing about is changing my mind. Have you struck a nerve..yea..I guess you have...only that I feel pity for your miserable lack of consideration for people who have thought they were being represented by leaders..you have brought your profession down to a big zero. Don''t let the CP door hit you in your glorified arse.

Tay, you are SOOOOOO wrong. First, many airlines use less f/a''s. AMR uses less and they can serve a full flight as well or better than you people.
Second, you are on board for SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE as the industry is a SERVICE industry. Part of your duties is safety which RARELY ever comes into play. A passenger will take a SERVICE oriented airline with all things being equal.
Remember, ALL airlines have to meet the FAA standards. SERVICE will set the successful ones apart from the losers like you!!

----------------
On 4/17/2003 12:12:51 AM stewbear wrote:

EXAGONY, You sound alot like the guy on the UAL board that bragged about pilots becomeing senators, lawyers, and spacemen....

1. Sorry, not that guy, but yes pilots have been all of the above - but so haven't non pilots. You sound like all those people on this board who are jealous of pilots just because they don't have the drive and commitment that is required of people to become airline pilots.

so what...baby you are nothing but an employee number...like the rest of us.

2. Show me where I said anything to the countrary - oops you can't.

I have always enjoyed and respected most of our pilots but your total disrespect for a very demanding job and the people who take care of alot of problems you know nothing about is changing my mind.

3. So do the people at the local auto repair shop, many times they deal with new customers who cry "Its making a noise, fix it, I'll be back in an hour". I would agree that FA's deal with an important service job. But to say its demanding I would ask you - how hard is it if Hooters Air can put two Hooters girls on their planes to do your job. I know they have 3 reg. FA's but I also know that the Hooters girls do most of the service enroute.

Have you struck a nerve..yea..I guess you have...

4. Oh well, Maybe you need to grow up and leave your touchy feely world and realize that not everyone feels sympathy for you.

only that I feel pity for your miserable lack of consideration for people who have thought they were being represented by leaders..

5. You elected them (union) and agreed to work under them USAir mgt, not me. Noone is holding you hostage.

you have brought your profession down to a big zero.

6. The only way I can bring my profession down is to put an a/c into the ground through incompetence or show up to work drunk. You on the other hand just show how whiney SOME flight attendents can be.

Don't let the CP door hit you in your glorified arse.

7. Never thought my arse was glorified. But if you want to worship it be my guest, and if you do, you've got issues.

Awaiting your whining reply.

----------------​

----------------
On 4/12/2003 7:50:30 PM Dea Certe wrote:

I don''t know where the company finds its "industrial doctors" but my experience with them hasn''t left me impressed

-----------------------------------------------------------

Vet school rejects