757I Configuration-8 Premium/180 Coach

Just proved your own point! A plane is not home, nor is it a diner. It is transportation..plain and simple.

You are also correct that breakfast can't cost that much, therefore buy a better breakfast in the airport if you don't like what breakfast is served.

You don't go to Applebees looking for a plane ride do you?

nice way of putting it. the competition from full service airlines will increase to take away those complaining first class passengers from you soon enough.

Let me try to get the issue through your head.

You live in on the PA/NJ border.

Gas sells for $2.30 per gallon on either side of the bridge.

In NJ they pump your gas, PA is self serve.

Now given the above where would you buy your gas?

Bob:

Now that's not a fair comparison. NJ State law does not permit customers to pump their own gas. It's a regulated matter, and standards of service on airlines are not regulated,
yet.....

The point you are trying to make is crystal clear (CCY reference does not apply here)
Airlines that compete on service will ultimately determine who gets the majority of the business traveler's revenue, however, all legacy carriers are facing similar cost structures, and have to compete on price as well as service. What remains to be seen is whether US Airways will continue to try to compete with full service in First Class, or whether they will follow the Air Tran model which does not measure up to a full First Class experience, yet rewards the business traveler with a larger work space and marginally better amenities. My money is on the Air Tran model, because it provides better value for the money, even if it does dilute the expectations of the "Wolf era" business traveler.

USAirways should stop F-ing with F and just offer a decent, but not posh product.

Looking at the breakfasts I've gotten recently for example...just a small pile of melon/pineapple chunks sometimes with a pastry, sometimes not on a transcon or hawaii flight. This is simply not competitive.

Yes, I don't fly for the food, but when I pay big bucks for a ticket, I expect to be shown a bit of respect. What the (truly wonderful) FA served today I'm sure would never be served to a guest in her home or at any PHX diner.

It simply cannot cost that much to make a decent breakfast.

Anybody know the cost of the old usair omlette/sausage vs the new fruit pile?
send your comments to http://www.usairways.com/feedback

they do listen!

Just proved your own point! A plane is not home, nor is it a diner. It is transportation..plain and simple.

You are also correct that breakfast can't cost that much, therefore buy a better breakfast in the airport if you don't like what breakfast is served.

You don't go to Applebees looking for a plane ride do you?

I just priced a RT BOS/PHX in April. Coach w/restrictions was about $360, coach without restrictions was about $1800, first was about $3600. Same flights, same days. I really don't think the few extra inches of first class seat, a couple pieces of crappy french toast and free cocktails are worth the $1800 premium.

NOPE they sure are not worth it. The bottom line is how can US justify selling their f/c product at just about the same fare as other carriers yet offer less to the customer? It just doesn't make sense. True air travel is just that...transportation but when your competitor is offering more than you, how do you expect to keep the business. If the new f/c at US is to be more of the AirTran type fine, just price it that way. Set the ball in motion and stop saying, be patient. We're forcing our loyal customers into the hands of our competitors.

Let me try to get the issue through your head.

You live in on the PA/NJ border.

Gas sells for $2.30 per gallon on either side of the bridge.

In NJ they pump your gas, PA is self serve.

Now given the above where would you buy your gas?

Again, point. Most pax go with the cheapest price. However, convience of where you are is sometimes more important.

I just priced a RT BOS/PHX in April. Coach w/restrictions was about $360, coach without restrictions was about $1800, first was about $3600. Same flights, same days. I really don't think the few extra inches of first class seat, a couple pieces of crappy french toast and free cocktails are worth the $1800 premium.

Well then don't pay it! Before you go spewing venum on how much you have to pay in comparison, post what it cost the company to operate that flight. Is the company going to take a loss if they give you EVERYTHING that you what at the PRICE you think is fair? Probably not.

It's unfair to post your side without the companies side. And NO I am not drinking any company kool aide.

Ok, lets put it yet another way. You work in the city and you have two companies to choose from for your train ride into the city. They both charge $5.00 one way for the trip and both leave and arrive at the same time. One offers a beverage service complimentary and a light snack consisting of a danish or muffin. The other company offers nothing. Who would you choose? There is NO reason in hell a ticket price between any northeast city pair should be as expensive as previously mentioned. NONE. US is not the only carrier that does that though in our defense. Doesn't make it right but we're not alone on that one. Lower the fares NOW to reflect the product your serving. It's really quite simple. THEN there will be no room for any FF to p!$$ and moan about the product and price. They currently have EVERY right. Having a choice as a consumer, how would you feel if you were at Kmart and complained about the price of a product and the response from the cashier or manager was, "well you can shop at Target then". That would fly for some of you?

Well then don't pay it!

OK, we won't. Gosh, what a brilliant idea. Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is you see your job as a job and not something more--maybe take a little ownership and try to make your company more competitive. Instead, the company is becoming leaner but doing nothing to attract business customers.

I don't think he says that he is unwilling to pay $1800. He is saying that what UA gives him for $1800 is much more than what US gives him for $1800. Airtran and WN don't charge that much--their fare structure doesn't compete with UA and CO at that level.

And, how are they going to lose money if they are charging $1800 for a ticket and giving a whole $20 in amenities to that person in FC? If you are losing money, you are selling too many $98 fares in the back and someone in inventory needs to do their job better. You blame the customer for wanting too much when it is the company's fault for not being competitive where it needs to be.

Well then don't pay it! Before you go spewing venum on how much you have to pay in comparison, post what it cost the company to operate that flight. Is the company going to take a loss if they give you EVERYTHING that you what at the PRICE you think is fair? Probably not.

It's unfair to post your side without the companies side. And NO I am not drinking any company kool aide.

Yikes..I thought my point was simple, and far from venomous. If the company wants to sell a first class seat for double the price of an unrestricted seat in coach and about ten times a restricted fare, then they might want to sell something people aren't going to feel screwed by. Nobody, nowhere, paying $3600 for that kind of seat and service, is going to be a satisfied customer. If the airline is not going to add as much value relative to other airlines, don't charge as much as the others. My expectations aren't grand, I just expect what's reasonable. In another post I mentioned that I tried to buy food from coach when I was in first class and they wouldn't let me. I was not complaining about the food in first class to the flight attendant, I simply wanted to buy some. I thought I was being reasonable there too.

Do you really think that $3600 BOS/PHX is a reasonable and rational fare for the first class service that HP/US offers? Sorry, I can't help but think you ARE drinking company kool aide if you do.

Do you really think that $3600 BOS/PHX is a reasonable and rational fare for the first class service that HP/US offers?

You know, you greedy customers want everything for nothing. How do you expect Tempe to get bonuses if they were to serve a full FC meal on a mere $3600 fare? With fuel prices what they are, there is no way that the company can be profitable on such a low fare. You'll get a bottle of water and big dirty seat--be happy.

Oh, and twicebaked, when I buy suits at Boyd's, they serve me wine while I shop--I overpay there also, but at least they give me a little extra.... ;)

Yikes..I thought my point was simple, and far from venomous. If the company wants to sell a first class seat for double the price of an unrestricted seat in coach and about ten times a restricted fare, then they might want to sell something people aren't going to feel screwed by. Nobody, nowhere, paying $3600 for that kind of seat and service, is going to be a satisfied customer. If the airline is not going to add as much value relative to other airlines, don't charge as much as the others. My expectations aren't grand, I just expect what's reasonable. In another post I mentioned that I tried to buy food from coach when I was in first class and they wouldn't let me. I was not complaining about the food in first class to the flight attendant, I simply wanted to buy some. I thought I was being reasonable there too.

Do you really think that $3600 BOS/PHX is a reasonable and rational fare for the first class service that HP/US offers? Sorry, I can't help but think you ARE drinking company kool aide if you do.

You bring up an interesting point. On a recent flight the breakfast choices in F were down to something that I would not eat. The FA did let me buy one of the coach breakfasts , which turned out to be nicer than what was served in F.

It cost me $5. Presumably the airline is making money on these things that they sell...lets say a 50% markup (which is pretty common)...so the airline's cost of the inferior F breakfast can be no more than $2.50.

$2.50 OUT OF A $2000 TICKET????

That's what LCC thinks of its FFs and of people who pay for their F seat, as my company did for mine.

The FA did let me buy one of the coach breakfasts , which turned out to be nicer than what was served in F.

It cost me $5. Presumably the airline is making money on these things that they sell...lets say a 50% markup (which is pretty common)...so the airline's cost of the inferior F breakfast can be no more than $2.50.

Didnt they serve the BOB meals in FC for a short period of time instead of the plated FC meals? If its the plated items or something like BOB, why not just give a BOB meal? I've had them a couple of times and thought they were just as good (or better) than the FC meal given. Since they are no more than $7 each, I wouldnt think this would be too much for a FC customer to expect (even those who are comped up). Its really embarrasing to hawk the FirstUp and then tell them, no meal, just a bigger seat, booze and snack basket.

Also I never fully got the response by barbell regarding the catering in FC last week. Were they saying that FC were 1) supposed to be getting the BOB meal free and catering wasnt catering enough, 2) they were supposed to be given the opportunity to buy the BOB meal before coach and not enough were being catered, 3) catering was supposed to be doing something else for FC? Can anyone clarify what was supposed to be happening up there?

Were they saying that FC were 1) supposed to be getting the BOB meal free and catering wasnt catering enough, 2) they were supposed to be given the opportunity to buy the BOB meal before coach and not enough were being catered, 3) catering was supposed to be doing something else for FC? Can anyone clarify what was supposed to be happening up there?

I was told that the BOB should have never been offered in Y. If nothing in FC, nothing in Y. And, I was actually told that it is "ridiculous" on a flight "that long" that nothing was offered in FC.

I had it happen to me on three legs in one day in and out of florida. I was working the 757 and had nothing at all to serve. To make matters worse there were no cashew mix or chips for the snack basket. I had them in the cart and they were removed during our catering in PHL. So the announcement goes over the PA that we will be serving the $5.00 snack box. I went right to the back and told the "B" what the deal was. I took 5 to the front and gave them to my f/c passengers. No, I didn't charge them either as one of the US1's up front told me had happened to him the day before. Wrote right on the form that catering screwed up and f/c gets served first. A caterer told me once back in the day not to leave notes. They know how to do their jobs. Yeah, tell it to me when I'm at 35,000 feet and you dont have cups, trash bags, orange juice or how about wine or beer. Ya have to monitor the catering when being done. Sometimes I know it's not intentional but they are just in a hurry. I'm just pointing out that it happens.

Shouldn't I have at least gotten what they served in coach for free in F? I'd write Tempe but it loks like I wouldn't get a response anyway.

Thats the part that doesnt make sense. Why are we selling things in Y to customers when those who paid or are comped to F get nothing but the snack basket? Maybe you guys pushed too hard for the snack basket and they thought that was ALL you wanted up there! ;)