AFA Pres Perry Hayes Tells it like it is!

----------------
On 4/17/2003 8:08:46 AM exagony wrote:

1. Sorry, not that guy, but yes pilots have been all of the above - but so haven''t non pilots. You sound like all those people on this board who are jealous of pilots just because they don''t have the drive and commitment that is required of people to become airline pilots.
----------------​

Don''t kind yourself. Don''t break the arm patting yourself on the back, either. Thousands of people whose primary profession is something else can safely fly jet aircraft (and many do so as a hobby--what does that tell you?).

Without ALPA (or, insert your union here) artificially altering the marketplace in favor of longterm mainline pilots, the average pilot wage would probably be closer to the early RJ FO than the longtime widebody Captain.

Ergo, the "Drive and commitment" is really just taking the aptitude become a pilot (fairly common) and be willing to play thru a viscious cycle of flying freight, for the regionals, and politics to get that mainline interview (or doing the millitary thing, which deserves respect due to the commitment to country, not due to the skills involved). To think that gives you the right to demean the F/A profession is funny.

Or, to put it bluntly, while they might "just be serving coffee," you are "just driving the bus."

Cheers.

a319fa! Sorry but i disagree and it already has worked . Thanks for your post and thoughts though !

----------------
On 4/8/2003 1:40:54 PM PineyBob wrote:

Well if we know Jerry Glass then we know that somewhere someplace the "I''s" are dotted and the "T''s" are crossed on the staffing issue. So I guess my question is how did they slip that one by the AFA.

Trying to do a work slowdown or "work to contract" is a PR failure of insane proportions. Don''t do it!
A better strategy is to appear to "Go Along" document to your union reps any customer comments, encourage (gently) that PAX contact Consumer Affairs if the have any "concerns". Make certain you report every injury. Even a paper cut! so long as it draws blood and you can prove that it occured. WHY do this? because occupational injury reports go the feds as do the number of compliants recieved. Since you did win the top ranking and that is something for US to brag and promote it improves your negotiating stance if that ranking is threatened. Internal stuff can to easily be buried. When it''s reported to the government in the spirit of Labor/Management cooperation as a union you appear to be part of the team. This tactic also lets Mr. Glass know that he is dealing with a group that won''t roll over and play dead. That you can be just as treacherous as he can be.

----------------​

I''m not sure if anything got slipped by. It might have been that the unions were so blinded by the Labor Friendly management team while the unions were busy protecting their dues checkoff article.
Then again, others say that it could have been that the attorneys who contracted for the unions but paid by the company started to think about that old age thing that says don''t bite the hand that feeds you. After all, weren''t these the same attorneys who check ''the books'' and never revealed the $35 million check total to Wolf and gang?

Tim Nelson

[SIZE= 12pt]----------------
On 4/17/2003 2:25:01 PM ClueByFour wrote:

Don''t kind yourself. Don''t break the arm patting yourself on the back, either. Thousands of people whose primary profession is something else can safely fly jet aircraft (and many do so as a hobby--what does that tell you?).

----------------

It tells me your two by four has run out of clues.

To suggest that airline pilots have no skill any different than a general aviation enthusiast, clearly shows that your two by four has run out of ammo.

If accident rates among airliners was half of the accident rate of general aviation, I would never get on a plane again.

By the way, I notice that waitresses can ask me what I want to drink (and many of them do--what does that tell you?) It is irrelevant.

When I am in the restaurant, I show respect to the waitress. She knows her job better than I do. And when I am in the back of a plane I respect the FA. Besides if I started talking smack about someone’s job I probably would look like I didn''t know what I was talking about. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE= 12pt]----------------
On 4/17/2003 2:25:01 PM ClueByFour wrote:

----------------

It tells me your two by four has run out of clues.

To suggest that airline pilots have no skill any different than a general aviation enthusiast, clearly shows that your two by four has run out of ammo.

If accident rates among airliners was half of the accident rate of general aviation, I would never get on a plane again.

By the way, I notice that waitresses can ask me what I want to drink (and many of them do--what does that tell you?) It is irrelevant.

When I am in the restaurant, I show respect to the waitress. She knows her job better than I do. And when I am in the back of a plane I respect the FA. Besides if I started talking smack about someone’s job I probably would look like I didn''t know what I was talking about. [/SIZE]​