AFW MECHANICS GET REWARDED FOR GOOD JOB

So there are no misunderstandings to your last question I will try to make it as simple as possible
NO

Now see that wasn’t so hard now was it.

It always kills me when guys like you get on your soap box and start preaching about "Anything over eight hours is OT"! Usually when they do that it means they have the kind of seniority where they don't have to work midnights. Real easy to be sanctimonious then isn’t it?

Everybody that has worked Line has worked Mids.
And yes the first night back sucks, so?
So spare us the bs.Do you actually think that you are the only one that has worked line or forced to mids year after year?

When I asked you if you had worked midnights I was being sarcastic.

I believe all I did was point out that when working a mid night shift having a 4-10 schedule makes life a little bit easier. Now if you want to interpret that as complaining there's not much I can do about that.

As for the 4/10s goes,I refuse to give back voluntarily what people before me had to fight for and even die to get.

How is working a 4-10 schedule giving back? Could you please explain in a little more detail how you came to that conclusion? IMO having some extra time off and not having to drive into work as often is anything but. Look at the amount of money saved by not having to commute in as often. Especially now with gas prices as high as they are.

Were the heck was this attitude during the concessions? :p

You must be thinking me of somebody else.

If you guys need somebody to explain to you why working 10 hour straight time is a give back , well.....

As for the 4/10s goes,I refuse to give back voluntarily what people before me had to fight for and even die to get.
You guys think you are helping yourselves by doing this?
You are giving things back for a very long time if not for ever.

We had several people at AFW like you who fought the 4-10 shift. The reasons were: "It screws up your overtime","You get less vacation","You can't mow your lawn on 4-10's", and this was my favorite stupid reason not to have 4-10's: "I'll just spend more money with that extra day off"

At AFW,people like you were given the option to stay on a 5-8 schedule. What's funny is many of these 4-10 haters are now working 4-10's and are the most vocal about AFW management's attempt to take it away.

You must be thinking me of somebody else.
If you guys need somebody to explain to you why working 10 hour straight time is a give back , well.....

Last I knew, it was a voluntary thing -- you couldn't be forced onto 4/10's.

As an employee, I wished I could have held 4/10's more often. Spending an extra two hours at work wasn't that big of a deal, it reduced my commuting fuel use by 20% and was one less lunch to bring to work or buy. There's also the ability to DOW while still having two days off.

At my new job, we had a mix of 4/10's and 3/13's in one of the areas I run. Personally, I find 3/13's to be insane, but the guys working it really liked having four days off and full benefits.

Now see that wasn’t so hard now was it.

It always kills me when guys like you get on your soap box and start preaching about "Anything over eight hours is OT"! Usually when they do that it means they have the kind of seniority where they don't have to work midnights. Real easy to be sanctimonious then isn’t it?

I did my 8 years on nights before I was able to at least get to a rotating shift and even then I still had to do 4 months a year on nights.

If it kills you that guys like me preach well suck it up night shift boy and pray AA starts recalling or getting more work because its going to be a long time before you are off of nights.

If you want 4-10s bid to MIA we have a hgr line crew that works for tens. But you better be ready to work because thats all they do is work the OTS aircraft.

Get to a union meeting and make a motion for a 4-10 crew on the night shift. Instead of crying about it do something about it. Its guys like you that kill me #### and moan but do nothing.

:D

How is working a 4-10 schedule giving back? Could you please explain in a little more detail how you came to that conclusion? IMO having some extra time off and not having to drive into work as often is anything but. Look at the amount of money saved by not having to commute in as often. Especially now with gas prices as high as they are.

Back when we were getting DT on a holiday the company was only going to pay us 8 hrs DT even though we were working a 10 hr day. That was just one down side. You would be out 20 hrs of DT pay

Now that really doesnt matter much since it isnt DT and there are only 5 Holidays.

If you want 4-10s bid to MIA we have a hgr line crew that works for tens. But you better be ready to work because thats all they do is work the OTS aircraft.

Get to a union meeting and make a motion for a 4-10 crew on the night shift. Instead of crying about it do something about it. Its guys like you that kill me #### and moan but do nothing.

There you go making assumptions once again. I already have 4-10's. If you had been paying attention to my posts on this thread you probably would have figured it out. However in typical fashion you went off half cocked without using your brain.

Another thing, whose complaining. All I did was point out that 4-10's make life a little bit easier.

Why don't you explain it to us, or do you not have an asnwer?

Have you ever worked midnights? When you work a 5-8 schedule that first day off is pretty much a wash. That's because you're usually too exhausted to do anything. Now some people say that on the first day back is kind of like a day off since you don't have to be to work till latter that night. However that little voice in the back of your head is telling you have to be at work that day.

On a 5-8 schedule working midnights it feels like you only have one full day off.

Is that little voice in your head telling you the same thing on a 4-10s schedule

C'mon, guys. 40 hours a week is 40 hours, whether it is 5/8, 4/10, 3/39.33 or, in some cases, one sixteen and three eights.

We could even extend the logic (and the calculus) and look at a 173 hour month and slice it up any way if we had flex time. For a little while, I had that deal, too. It was sweet.

And comp time? Boy is that sweet if you can get it.

C'mon, guys. 40 hours a week is 40 hours, whether it is 5/8, 4/10, 3/39.33 or, in some cases, one sixteen and three eights.

We could even extend the logic (and the calculus) and look at a 173 hour month and slice it up any way if we had flex time. For a little while, I had that deal, too. It was sweet.

And comp time? Boy is that sweet if you can get it.

It is not about the 40 it is about the 8.
Eight hours in a work day.
Everything over is overtime.
It does not get any more basic than this, for Labor guys.
I can see that we will not see this the same way no matter what.
I just hope what you guys volunteer for, now, never becomes one of those "they can do this brother".
They might use it in ways you will not like.

Is that little voice in your head telling you the same thing on a 4-10s schedule

Didn't you already respond to that other post?

Not much of a reponse you can come up with for your little tirade about 4-10's in post thrity eight. Understandable why you would not want to.

It is not about the 40 it is about the 8.
Eight hours in a work day.
Everything over is overtime.
It does not get any more basic than this, for Labor guys.
I can see that we will not see this the same way no matter what.
I just hope what you guys volunteer for, now, never becomes one of those "they can do this brother".
They might use it in ways you will not like.

Well, I'm a "labor" guy, and I would say quality of life is king...If time off is important to a person, then 4/10's it is. If someone wants 8's, then 5/8's works.

For someone commuting, the 3/13 schedule might work best (I think this would be better than having a "doubles partner.").

You guys should at least be happy that that both options are avilable.

I for one would love to have the option of 4/10's...

Well, I'm a "labor" guy, and I would say quality of life is king...If time off is important to a person, then 4/10's it is. If someone wants 8's, then 5/8's works.

For someone commuting, the 3/13 schedule might work best (I think this would be better than having a "doubles partner.").

You guys should at least be happy that that both options are avilable.

I for one would love to have the option of 4/10's...

Well Kev, I'm also a 'labor guy'. Do a search on union history and look for the battles that were fought to get the 8-hour workday. (I'm sure you already know this information).

That was then, this is now. Times have changed, gas prices have gone up. Dual income families are the norm...some just want more days off and don't mind working longer hours while the're at work to get more days off.

To each his own. In a perfect world, my four tens would be 8 hours at straight time and the other 2 at time and a half :up:

Latest posts

Back