Agent Attacked In Clt

Smartest Loser said:
Incorrect...!!! Totally Incorrect..!!
Smartest Loser, What is incorrect? The story did not make Friday’s deadline. There will be an article about this incident in Saturday’s CLT Observer. Lester, you should be embarrassed with the title of this thread. Fly, thanks for setting the record straight. :up:

Just shows that the MAJORITY of the posters here are ready to believe anything anti- company. Next time check the facts before posting. :down:
"It's easier to point a finger than to lend a hand."- Sir Winston Churchill

N628AU said:
US Airways Corporate security is now in CLT pressing to have these cases handled more effectively by the police and prosecutors.

The topic of this thread says "US Airways Does Not Care About Employees". If corporate security is fighting to have the Feds go after this guy, there is not a whole lot more they can do. They can ban him from flying the airline, and that may very well be in the works. The company, like most companies, do not comment on pending legal issues. How is the title of this thread relevant? I can understand the growing employee frustration, but it is misdirected here. I understand the agent has been called by many in CCY Senior Management to check on the recovery process.
Heh, based on my previous experience with customer service. Management would send the passenger a few upgrades and a letter of apology for the inconvenience, then write the agent up for poor customer service. :(

a320av8r said:
Just shows that the MAJORITY of the posters here are ready to believe anything anti- company. Next time check the facts before posting. :down:
Agreed. Sounds like the company is trying to do the right thing, at least in THIS case! :shock:

Posted on Sat, Nov. 08, 2003

Airline, union urge tough response to alleged assault
Gate agent at Charlotte airport says passenger threw him into counter
TED REED
Staff Writer

An airline passenger's alleged assault of a US Airways gate agent last Saturday has a labor union and the airline pushing for tough prosecution of such cases. The agent, Conrad Puckett, 45, suffered bruised ribs in the incident at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport. Puckett, a veteran of 18 years as a gate agent, expects to return to work on Monday.

The passenger, William Edwins, 41, of Wilmington, has been charged with misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct and released on bail from Mecklenburg County jail. Edwins, who faces a Nov. 19 trial date, declined to comment.

Puckett called the experience terrifying and said he will initially be fearful when he returns to work.

He said the incident began when a passenger knocked over a trash receptacle by a ticket counter, then shouted at agents to pick up the trash. When Puckett picked up the phone to call security, the passenger rushed him, grabbed him by the shirt, swung him around and slammed him into the counter, the agent said.

"With the way things are today, it can be scary at the airport," Puckett said Friday. "Since 9-11, you worry about things. You don't know what anyone's intentions are. I don't know why this kind of thing doesn't happen in department stores, movie theaters or railway stations, but it happens at the airport."

Ticket agents at the airport have been pushed, shoved or spat upon five times in the past six months, said James Root, president of Communication Workers of America Local 3641 in Charlotte.

The CWA, which represents about 6,000 US Airways airport and reservations agents, wants the airline to develop a systematic program to prevent such incidents and to ensure vigorous federal prosecution when they occur. US Airways said Edwins has been banned from its flights. In addition, the airline has contacted the Mecklenburg County district attorney's office to emphasize its commitment to prosecution of the case.

"We will not tolerate acts of rage either in the air or on the ground, and we will fully support our employees against physical or verbal abuse," said Jerry Glass, vice president of employee relations, in an employee newsletter issued Friday. The CWA wants the case to be prosecuted as a felony under federal law. Root said union attorneys will discuss the case with the U.S. attorney's office in Charlotte. So far, however, the case is set for prosecution by Mecklenburg County, said David Maloney, supervisor of the misdemeanor unit in the district attorney's office.

Root also said gate agents are concerned that airport police make arrests for assault only when they see physical harm to an individual. He said airport police would not immediately arrest Edwins following the incident Saturday. Aviation Director Jerry Orr said airport officials are looking into "miscommunication" between gate agents and airport police immediately after the incident. He said police have no reluctance to arrest passengers who assault gate agents when the agents feel an arrest is warranted.

Incidents of air rage and unruly conduct by passengers have become common in aviation over the past decade, although it is unclear whether they are increasing. A recent survey conducted for the CWA found that 49 percent of airport agents had seen or experienced an airport rage incident during the past six months. But Federal Aviation Administration counts of enforcement actions against unruly passengers who attack crew members during flights have declined recently. The incident count reached a high of 322 nationwide in 2000, but declined to 259 in 2002. This year, 15 incidents had been reported as of March 20, the agency said. Dawn Deeks, spokeswoman for the Association of Flight Attendants, said the FAA numbers on onboard incidents don't provide an adequate measure because airlines are not required to report them. As a result, she said, nobody knows for certain whether air rage continues to increase.

"It was increasing before Sept. 11, but we can't tell now," Deeks said. "We saw a decrease immediately after Sept. 11, but now you hear from flight attendants, anecdotally, that little things are becoming issues again with passengers."

Source:
CLT Observer

MrAeroMan said:
Well it appears all those that jumped on the bash management wagon have egg on their faces.
Sure. Of course, it takes management only seconds to post a press release about the egregious actions of the IAM on the outsourcing issue, but it took almost 3 days to hear a word about an employee who was assaulted.

Nice to know the priority order at CCY.

This doesn't pass the smell test, as far as the cops. Ever watch Cops on tv? They usually show up after what ever happened, happened. Not seeing anything. And they usually haul someone off to jail.
Maybe the CLT cops are not the "best and brightest."
If this happened in BOS or NYC, this dude would have been tomorrows dog food.
Too bad there wasn't a LEO in the boarding area.

Mr AeroMan,

Not so fast....

Didn't you notice that Hawk, flyonthewall, do- it- for -dave, all posted on here defending mangement and telling us to wait for the CLT paper the next day to explain everything, and who shows up as quoted in the CLT paper, none other than the notorious Jerry Glass, Labor Relations Wizard himself. And who posts this nicely ready article for us today?....none other than my favorite man of the hour...do-it-for-davey. These are the same folks on these baords that "bash" labor and start topics on "decetification" of unions, and speak ill of certain Local union leaders by name. I see N6 is in this mix as well.

Any folks here see the significance in what I am trying to point out here Cause I am not going to spell it out.

PITbull said:
Mr AeroMan,

Not so fast....

Didn't you notice that Hawk, flyonthewall, do- it- for -dave, all posted on here defending mangement and telling us to wait for the CLT paper the next day to explain everything, and who shows up as quoted in the CLT paper, none other than the notorious Jerry Glass, Labor Relations Wizard himself. And who posts this nicely ready article for us today....none other than my favorite man of the hour...do-it-for-davey. These are the same folks on these baords that "bash" labor and start topics on "decetification" of unions, and speak ill of certain Local union leaders by name. I see N6 is in this mix as well.

Any folks here see the significance in what I am trying to point out here Cause I am not going to spell it out.
Yeah Pitbull I see it. My very good friend is a flight attendant who was assaulted while on duty and the company’s response was if you want something done about it, file charges yourself. By the way when you have to report for the case to the city out of base you will do it on your own time. Thanks for your help Dave!

To all those stop bashing management types on this thread, stop sleeping with our clueless Captain, or if you are ever assaulted while on duty may you receive the same support given to the labor employee’s

Attachments

• help.jpeg
    help.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 150
a320av8r said:
How does the saying go, "Prevention is worth a pound of cure"? The CWA has been pressing the company for at least a year to put up signs around the airports SAYING that "Airport Rage would not be tolerated". The Union asked for notices to be placed on ticket jackets regarding the new laws against airport rage. They were told that "it wasn't appropriate". I guess they don't want to seem threatening to the passengers?????

T-bone said:
To all those stop bashing management types on this thread, stop sleeping with our clueless Captain, or if you are ever assaulted while on duty may you receive the same support given to the labor employee’s[/SIZE][/color]
Please do not include all Captains in your posts. Most of the pilots here have been through at least one incident invloving unruly pax, and they are definitely not sleeping with management on this. Company procedures have been designed in a manner to make it difficult for the Captain to bring charges etc; against trouble makers, but any Captain willing to take the effort can certainly take care of his crew and pax. I know this from experience over the last 26 years.

tadjr said:
I think he was talking about those who are Dave (our clueless captain) cheerleaders, not an actual clueless captain... but if the pilot hat fits...... :p just kidding
Thanks,
I tried to modify my post, but screwed it up somehow. After reading the post again I think you are right.