Airbus Farmout, What Are We Doing Iam?

Jun 17, 2003
Well everyone from Siegel down has told us that the airbus work is not ours. WHY haven't we begun to do ANYTHING! We are being told its being handle at the international level. Thats giving all of us alot of confidence! Its amazing how a handful of IAM officials with numerous email addresses can tell Dave they were confused and cause a revote, but that same group can't start a massive information campaign to tell him we will not stand for our work being taken away. Where are the informational meetings, the public picketing, the email campaigns, the job actions. There is plenty that can be done without the company suing! Lets show the public the court transcripts of the CLT commuter crash so they can see what 3rd party maintenance may bring. Oh, we can't do that, will lose ALL of our customers if they know Usairways wants to work their large aircraft at these types of facilitys. Is the ramp, whom is also IAM,being prepared to stand behind us in a worse case scenario. Don't think so. No information on the 141M website concerning this issue since August 4th. This is the IAM's last chance to prove to the membership that they our still a union. So far we have BUTTONS to wear stating no airbus farmout, its our work. I doubt Dave and company feel threatened. They probably haven't stopped laughing since they heard about our buttons! It seems the IAM is still concentrating very heavily on putting out LIES about AMFA instead of trying to preserve OUR airbus work. With alot of AMFA cards ready to expire you would think the IAM would be showing the membership with ACTIONS that they are worthy. But NO, nothing visibly happening. It makes you wonder if there isn't a side DEAL being worked out behind the scenes?? Fighting Machinists? You can't win a fight when your not willing to get off the stool and come out of the corner. Lots of questions with NO answers. I guess will lean against the ropes and try to cover our heads to sustain the KNOCK OUT punch without ever lifting a FIST!! :down: :( :shock:

TMTQ, what are you doing? Has the company farmed out the first airplane?
No they have not.

What can you do when the company has not violated the contract yet?

Instead of being a follower be a leader and do something yourself.

The first thing you have to do is put aside the IAM vs AMFA battle and make it a work issue, it is our work plain and simple, the reason why the company is threatening the farmout is because the mechanic and related group is weak, I hear on the floor I won't strike if they farm it out, what a bunch of wimps, if you let them farm out the first airbus the rest of the fleet will follow and you won't have a job to worry about.

Like I said, the company is making threats, but they have not done anything yet, this is the time we need to solidify as a work group and put aside the infighting until we get thru this issue if it becomes an issue.

And if you listened to the conference call on Tuesday or attending the union meeting last week you would know the IAM is preparing for the battle, they have informed the company of our stance, they are preparing the law suit if necessary, we are making strike preperations, District Lodge 141 President Randy Canale has told the US Airways fleet service workers to honor the picket lines and calls have been made to ALPA, CWA, AFA and TWU to show their support if and when the time comes.

Seems to me like the IAM has done a lot to protect our work and you have done nothing except complain and put out false information.

Attachments

• union.gif
    union.gif
    40.6 KB · Views: 178
LavMan said:
TMTQ, what are you doing? Has the company farmed out the first airplane?
No they have not.

What can you do when the company has not violated the contract yet?

Instead of being a follower be a leader and do something yourself.

The first thing you have to do is put aside the IAM vs AMFA battle and make it a work issue, it is our work plain and simple, the reason why the company is threatening the farmout is because the mechanic and related group is weak, I hear on the floor I won't strike if they farm it out, what a bunch of wimps, if you let them farm out the first airbus the rest of the fleet will follow and you won't have a job to worry about.

Like I said, the company is making threats, but they have not done anything yet, this is the time we need to solidify as a work group and put aside the infighting until we get thru this issue if it becomes an issue.

And if you listened to the conference call on Tuesday or attending the union meeting last week you would know the IAM is preparing for the battle, they have informed the company of our stance, they are preparing the law suit if necessary, we are making strike preperations, District Lodge 141 President Randy Canale has told the US Airways fleet service workers to honor the picket lines and calls have been made to ALPA, CWA, AFA and TWU to show their support if and when the time comes.

Seems to me like the IAM has done a lot to protect our work and you have done nothing except complain and put out false information.
Why aren't they telling US this info. We don't have access to conference calls and the grievance committee no longer holds meetings. Many people cannot make it to the union meetings because of work and life schedules. Now I'm supposed to get my information off the internet from people like you who have historicaly LIED and DECEIVED on this board in the past. YEA RIGHT! And its the IAM who won't put aside AMFA. If they were doing a decent job, there would be no AMFA debate. Now is the time. Ther is plenty that can be done. Lets expose to the public Usairways intentions. The CEO himself has told us its not our work. Your saying lets get thru this issue if it becomes an issue! It seems to many of us its already a big issue. And if wearing my SILLY BUTTON is your way of being a leader that is ridiculous. Have the other unions replied YET??Stand in the middle of the ring and fight. If we don't know the secret plan it will be difficult to fight. :shock:

Number 1, I dont lie and decieve, I speak my mind and the truth, and I can admit when I am wrong.

We have held two stewards meetings in CLT all ready about the issue, plans are in the works of what to do when the time comes.

You are telling me your steward in your area does not tell you what is going on?
We have a union meeting once a month and it rotates it times each month between 7:30am, 3:30pm and 11:30PM , certainly one of those times is accesible to you.

And the reason why the committee stopped holding those meetings is all it became was a b**ch session and no one wanted to hear what was going on.

The problem is the majority of the membership has the ME attitude, you want everything done for you and everything given to you on a silver platter. Trade unionism is about everyone and the union is as only strong as its membership, and this group is nothing more then a group of the ME generation.

The union is not five AGCs and the Grievence committee it is every single member, you are all ready defeated when you have an attitude like yours.

And the local media has been informed of what is going on, if you read the article that was in the observer a couple of months back when the company started taking their position on the farmouts, Bill Wise was quoted in that article.

But US Airways has never outsourced its heavy aircraft maintenance. Members of the International Association of Machinists have done that work since the union signed its first contract with the airline in the late 1940s.

"Contractually, this is our work," Wise said. "It has traditionally been our work, and our collective bargaining agreement covers this work. We will take every step to ensure that the work remains with us.

"We have already made sacrifices and concessions to turn this airline around," Wise added. "The part of the contract that deals with this work was not part of those negotiations."

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/busi...ess/5965159.htm

What do you want the IAM to do? What are your ideas? What HAVE YOU DONE?

YOU ARE THE UNION!

LavMan said:
What do you want the IAM to do? What are your ideas? What HAVE YOU DONE?

YOU ARE THE UNION!
I believe I already stated several valid suggestions and ideas about what the IAM should do. And as far as myself I am one person and have already gone to the minimum tools required by the company and follow every maintenance procedure to the letter regardless of time or cost. What I don't want is cowaring in a corner with your hands down or secret back door DEALS. An informed union member is a strong union member. So at least we have a handful of members who get the information from the SECRET weekly union conference call. Or maybe I can wait another month or two when I am able to attend a monthly meeting. Although that may be to late!:shock:

Once again Bob, you show your lack of knowledge about the RLA.

If and when the company farms out the airbus, the IAM goes to court to seek a TRO, preliminary injuction and asks the judge to rule if it is a major of minor dispute.

If the judge rules it a major dispute, under the RLA the affected workers are legally permitted to withold services (strike), if the judge rules it a minor dispute it goes to arbitration.

The company right now is violation of the HIPPA law, and myself and others have filed grievances and a formal complaint with the department of HHS.

This company has been in violation of the ADA by a federal judge in PIT and also in violation of the FMLA law but he DOL.

TMTG, anyone can go into the grievance committee office on tuesdays at 9:15am and listen to the call, it is not secret.

And I agree with you that the IAM is very bad at communicating with its members.

That is why we have a local web page and newsletter.

Bob, the president can only envoke a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB) in tradtional section 6 negotiations, so he can't stop a strike.

HHS has said the scenario we gave them is a violation.

And Bob, US Contracts out cleaning at the majority of the stations.

We fly into 89 domestic mainline stations, there is only utility at BOS, CLT, DCA, LGA, PHL, PIT on all three shifts, LAX and SFO have only two shifts, TPA, MCO, MIA, BDL, PVD, RIC, ORD, ATL, BWI, ORF have third shift only.

So the majority is done by others Bob, so try again at an attack.

LavMan said:
TMTG, anyone can go into the grievance committee office on tuesdays at 9:15am and listen to the call, it is not secret.

And I agree with you that the IAM is very bad at communicating with its members.

That is why we have a local web page and newsletter.
If it makes you feel any better I'll label your statement as inaccurate information instead of a LIE. Call the grievance committee chairman Bill and ask him if any or all dues paying member is welcome to listen in on the weekly conference call. He will tell you NO outsiders allowed PERIOD!

Then I suggest you get in contact with your AGC or have your steward sit in and inform you of what transpired.

LavMan said:

Then I suggest you get in contact with your AGC or have your steward sit in and inform you of what transpired.
So your admitting that you do post inaccurate(untruthful) information?? And this is not the time for BAD communication to the membership from the IAM..

Don't post things I have not said, I do not speak for Bill H, all I know is when I asked to listen I am told I can.

LavMan said:
Don't post things I have not said, I do not speak for Bill H, all I know is when I asked to listen I am told I can.
You must be afforded special union priveledges and information other dues paying members aren't allowed. Democracy in full swing! :shock:

IAM may strike for Airbus work

The International Association of Machinists said it would consider going on strike if US Airways were to hire an outside contractor to do heavy maintenance work on its fleet of narrow-body Airbus jets starting in October. The union contends that under its contract, the work must be done by IAM-represented mechanics. But US Airways spokesman David Castelveter said the company did not believe that a decision to hire a third-party contractor would violate its collective bargaining agreement with the IAM. He said the airline is studying whether it's economically feasible do the work in-house or with an outside contractor.

Rendell hopeful about hub

Gov. Ed Rendell said yesterday he continued to be hopeful that talks with US Airways would lead to an agreement that enables the airline to retain Pittsburgh as a hub. The governor said negotiators for the state and the airline "are now looking at dates for a face-to-face meeting in the next few weeks." Meanwhile, Allegheny County Chief Executive Jim Roddey briefed US Airways union leaders on the status of talks and said the union leaders, like himself, were frustrated at the slow pace of negotiations. He said workers feared the airline intended to further cut back mainline flights, resulting in the loss of higher-paying jobs.

Profound words (if not hollow) :

“IAM may strike for Airbus workâ€

I am sure this statement instills confidence in the leadership role of the IAM.

Who is the ‘IAM’???

Are not you the IAM??? ( I was untill bent over a fence!)

If the IAM decides that their ‘retribution’ from the company exceeds the retribution from the membership, what path shall the IAM choose?
Historically (POST EAL) , the membership desires are secondary (at best) to the IAM desires.
USAir (as with UAL) :
When given ‘THE VOTE’ on any contract, the ‘VOTE’ always included a ‘Strike Vote’ (except with our concessionary BK and ATSB votes).
True or not?
We as ‘UNION MEMBERS’ have ‘ONE’ and ‘ONLY ONE!!!’ method of impacting equal amounts of pain and suffering that companies do to their employees.

“WITHHOLD LABOR†(STRIKE).

For a union to negotiate without the threat to withhold labor (Strike) is meaningless.
The IAM took a bad rap at the EAL Strike but never overcame it.
Since then, they have never again given the ‘membership’ the opportunity to decide on such a critical vote, and have capitulated beyond our wildest dreams.
Why did I vote AMFA?
Open the book of ‘DUH’!!!

JMHO,
UT

P.S.
Is that a firm ‘may’ or a kind of maybe may?