Parts Moving

Teflon

Sep 20, 2003
Got word today that all the airbus parts in the CLT distribution center are in the process of being moved to BFM(Mobile Aerospace) and the company setting up a control center there.

Once again it is IAM covered work the company is trying to steal. Plus there are no commercial flights in and out of BFM, so how are we going to get the parts where they are needed?

There is no level too low that this management will stoop too.

FARMOUT DAVE!

I'll tell you what will happen. We will get a courier to pick it up from BFM (pickup charge plus something over $2 per mile to drive it), take it to MOB, either put it on a Mesa flight CLT (if it operates) or on a DL flight to ATL (and hand DL cargo revenue), and stretch the ETR on the aircraft that is down somewhere by hours waiting for this nonsense. The courier companies generally take an hour to pick up and then there is another hour lead time for the part to arrive at the airport to make a next flight out cargo window. Then add the flight and connection time, you are in the neighborhood of four additional hours of downtime.

Or you can go to option two, which is borrow the part (paying some airline something along the lines of 10% of the retail value of the part in loan fees), plus pay one of our mechanics to do the work twice.

Whatever you have, it is the pennywise, pound foolish management that gets you an MBA from Harvard, but shows that there is little to no actual operations/logistics knowledge in the Crystal Palace.

Are they sending U stock clerks to mangage the parts? At WN we do use Outsourcing for heavy "D"s but we(stock clerks) mangage all of our stock. Even to the extent of having a bid location at Tramco where one of our stock clerks issue parts for our aircraft out there. You're going to be robbed blind by the vendor if you don't have your own people handle your inventory. If I were a stock clerk for U this is a fire the union issue if they don't stop this now.

Actually the parts are being sent to HMV Mobile Alabama, and it's not just Airbus parts. We're talking everything from sealants to cleaning supplies. The interesting thing is they are now in the computer as HMV-425-001 Mobile stores distribution center, HMV-491-001 line maintenance, and HMV-425-VND repo vending. Whats up with this?

The information I got was from CLT-D stock clerks, the union is well aware of it and the grievances have been filed, if the IAM is succesful in getting the TRO, this process will have to cease and desist.

Where we have a 425, 491 or a VND the work is supposed to be done by IAM represented US Airways stock clerks.

And a union cannot prevent a company from violating a contract, but they sure can go thru the process to stop it and make the company pay!

I wonder how Dave Lorenzo, Neal Dunlap and Jerry Ichan sleep at night?

Like I said on another thread, the same company that has FA's counting 25 cent cokes because of thrid party vendor theft is going to let a third party control untold sums of meny tied up in rotable inventory.

Teflon said:
I wonder how Dave Lorenzo, Neal Dunlap and Jerry Ichan sleep at night?

....are you kidding? They sleep like babies... and why not? They have no consciences ... only "the bottom line" in their hearts.

Sounds like a business op for a furloughed pilot. Start a 135 op at HMV and fly the parts where they are needed. When one door closes, another always opens...you just have to walk through it and don't be afraid.

EXUAW said: "....are you kidding? They sleep like babies... and why not? They have no consciences ... only "the bottom line" in their hearts."

Of course they sleep like babies. They don't plan to be here all that long. We don't have any real airline people these days. They are not committed to the long term.

Dea

Dea Certe said:
Of course they sleep like babies. They don't plan to be here all that long. We don't have any real airline people these days. They are not committed to the long term.

Dea
How true..SWA for sure, maybe Jet Blue have management that are aviation people (airline) in for the long haul, and it shows in the companies doing well. The rest...well we all know what they are. :angry:

N628AU said:
Whatever you have, it is the pennywise, pound foolish management that gets you an MBA from Harvard, but shows that there is little to no actual operations/logistics knowledge in the Crystal Palace.
I do remember working Buf, Bos, Ind, Roa and hearing that it cost the company 30-50 grand a year to store parts there. Which is why they didn't. But ironically the company had no problem having 2 grand ferry flights a night to bring the same parts in. Does sort of make one wonder what the hell an MBA is (MAJOR BROKEN A-TYPICAL BRAIN). :(

To update my earlier post.

HMV-425-001 was the "ship to address" on the documents trucked to mobile. I think HMV stands for heavy maintenance vendor, but I'm not sure. We are now trucking parts to PIT that say Mobile on the documents.
This is getting just plain crazy.

Latest posts