AIRPORT RAGE in MHT

No Limit

Sep 7, 2002
www.usaviation.com
A Usairways agents in MHT was hit by Passenger. Here is his E-mail to friends
back home. Lets wish him well.

I was encountered AIRPORT RAGE firsthand, today. I*m home from the hospital and doing OK. Gotta follow up with Doc on Monday due to bruising on my head and face.
I was working Kiosk line and this disgruntled pax came up and demanded I give him a refund due flights running late. Of course we already had a sizable line. I told him to get in line and he asked me how big a fit do I want him to throw. I told him none.
He immediately got nose to nose with me and was yelling at the top of his voice all the while spittting in my face. I backed up without saying a word and he persued me. The next thing I know is that I*m on my back on the ground, in a daze, and looking for my bearings. I literally did not know where I was at for a few short minutes.
The assailant fled the building with.....THE STATION MANAGER and several passengers after him. They did catch him and the airport police handcuffed him and arrested him.

My understanding is that he posted $5000.00 bond this evening to get out of jail.
I was Real dizzy and had a terrible headache and couldn*t (DON*T LAUGH!) move my jaw too well. The squad transported me to the hospital due to the dizziness was staying with me. After a catscan, I was released to go home but have to see my doctor on Monday.
Thanks for reading this story AIRPORT RAGE must stop before someone gets hurt again like the CO agent in EWR
Best of Lucky to my Friend [email protected]
No Limit

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you, I hope you're feeling better soon. I remember about 11 years ago working the gates in LAX when another agt at another gate had a guy throw her against the jetway as he raced down to try to get his daughter on a closed flt before the jetway pulled back. Believe it or not he was rewarded with a free ticket! (I'm not kidding!). That manager is no longer with USAir, as a matter of fact if I remember correctly, he wasn't very popular with the agents. Pax feel its their right to verbally and now physically abuse people who work for airlines. Some laws desperatly need to be enforced.

A nice 30 day jail sentence(none suspended)with a lonely Big Bubba for a cellmate would serve the jerk right also. Then we'll see who jumps on top of whom. Luckily in res, if things get out of hand with verbal threats and abuse, you can hit the Emergency record button, for evidence, and then hang up, at the point you deem justified to.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/24/2002 7:57:19 PM No Limit wrote:

Bill is his name

You can e-mail him AT {[email protected] }
----------------
[/blockquote]
I hope he finds himself a good attorney for a civil or criminal lawsuit.

Heh, I hired on in MHT back in '97. (Took the furlough this week.) That is a great station up there with a lot of great people working up there. They trained me well...then I went to face the wolves in PHL. I got to get up there again soon.

I also suggest getting a good Workers Comp attorney. US Airways' insurer is famous for denial of claims, regardless of circumstances.

I hope the man responsible for this assault is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Please keep us posted on Bill's recovery and the outcome of the legal side.

Somebody did this to a CAL agent in EWR and got a pretty serious jail term out of it.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/24/2002 10:58:39 PM Rob wrote:

Somebody did this to a CAL agent in EWR and got a pretty serious jail term out of it.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I wish that were the case. He was acquitted in a jury trial...

[a href=http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/04/986318968.html]Airwise, Nov 2001[/a]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/24/2002 11:59:27 PM eolesen wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/24/2002 10:58:39 PM Rob wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

I wish that were the case. He was acquitted in a jury trial...

[a href=http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/04/986318968.html]Airwise, Nov 2001[/a]

----------------
[/blockquote]
What Bull! The guy Must be related to O.J.

This is what happens when we have insufficent staffing. However, there is no excuse for this behavior. I like how doing this to an FA will often get you a pretty good spanking but assaulting an agent often results in little more than a night in jail. It should be a Federal offense to mess with any on-duty airline employee, not just flight crews.

Sad thing is, I remember when US wouldn't want agents to press charges, because it would create too much bad publicity.

Times have changed. Seems to me if a person cannot behave rationally in the terminal, what behavior can be expected in the air? The flights are full, space is at a premium and there's plenty of aggravation in a confined space. I would think in the interest of security and safety, we cannot allow already irate/possibly violent people to board our planes, endangering the other passengers and crew. We don't know if they are on drugs, have booze in their carry-ons or what will set off another act of violence.

I can understand the frustrations of airline customers. I can see how they are at their wit's end. But if they cannot conduct themselves in a civilized manner, why should they be allowed on board? And why should they get off the hook after assaulting another person in the name of PR? Should this be a matter taken out of the airlines hands and passed on to the TSA? Should this person be put on a watch list or listed in the computer as a possible problem and denied tickets? I think so.

Hi Folks!
This is Buccaneer Bill in MHT. I want to thank everbody around the system for your support. It*s comforting to see that when something like this happens, folks you don*t even know are ready to stand with ya. This is a cause/issue that faces each and every one of us every day.
I never realized or thought about myself actually being a victim like this. This guy suckered me and I hit the floor. I suffered what the doc is calling a moderate concussion and can expect headaches for maybe as much as two weeks or so.
I do plan to talk with legal council about this. I think I need to do it not only for myself, but for all of us. It could and may very well be one of you, tomorrow.
THANKS, AGAIN, for all your support!.....
Buccaneer Bill in MHT