Airport/Reservation employees sold down the river?

Old PSA

Advanced
Aug 26, 2002
www.usaviation.com
After a careful study of the the new CWA contract, it would appear the airport staff have been given a rather bad hand to play in the future. For the airports, it looks like Dave is going to buy many, many of the the Embraer new jets. A look at their specs. shows that they really over class the current regional jets. They offer standard size seating with large overhead bins and up to 2000 mile range. Projecting forward, small cities get the small RJ (50 seats), medium cities get the new jets (70-95 seats). Of course, they all get worked by mainline employees in the express classification. In the big cities, the counters and mainline flights are handled by mainline classification but the express classification handles the gates of the current RJs and the new medium and large RJs. Since the contract allows for seasonal mainline jets being worked by express classification employees, the summers are mainline and winter express or vice versa, but still express classification. As these new airplanes are added, you can bet more cities will go the way Louisville is going.
The company really didn''t need the pay cut, the union is going to lower the average the company pays us rather nicely over the next several years. Ah the future....what a dismal prospect, 30 years of service and it''s going to be move the Philly or work for McDonald wages. All that and no viable retirement program.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/24/2002 10:09:44 PM Old PSA wrote:

The company really didn't need the pay cut, the union is going to lower the average the company pays us rather nicely over the next several years. Ah the future....what a dismal prospect, 30 years of service and it's going to be move the Philly or work for McDonald wages. All that and no viable retirement program.
----------------
[/blockquote]

At least you may now have a future with the company, since the costs will be cut dramatically. Would you rather have no new contract, no job and forced to work at McD's?

I think we're all just ready for whatever comes next...we are tired of waiting for the surprises...just lay it on the table and let's move along...even if it means a furlough...there is life after USAirways.

[P]A viable retirement plan is opening an IRA 401K or just plain put your money in the bank or in or under your mattress..[BR]CWA has given mainline employees choices for those who makes between $13 to $15 dollars an hour...of course for those of you who makes more...well I guess taking furlough[BR]is better for you.[/P]
[P]No deal will pay what you deserve but for now you have something from which you can make your plans.[/P]
[P]The real losers in this CWA agreement are PSA ALG and Piedmont gate agents who work the gates at PIT BOS LGA PHL DCA CLT..who has to apply and after those mainline employee on furlough who chooses to accept the express classification will get their chance to perhaps land a job making the same wages they make now..losing their senority and I know some employees at these wholly owned who has 7 years plus service.[/P]
[P]I am hoping that there will be some formula adapted to apply, adjusted senority dates to those wholly owned employees who are lucky to be hired under this new express classification...[/P]
[P]I believe within a year or two all express station will be given this classification and employees working at stations such as HPN EWN TLH EYW CAE ROA etc will have to re-apply.[/P]
[P]The only winner is CWA who may end up with hundreds of new union members.[BR][/P]