AirTran wins DCA slots for FLL, PBI, RSW service

IAD service is slated to start in March - not sure if these will be OKC/TUL-BNA-IAD flights or not. On airliners.net...there are a couple employees of Great Plains there that keep everyone fairly well updated with very reliable information. CRJ orders are expected with 8 CRJ-200s and 4 CRJ-700s.

Regarding the ability to make money on any routes...Great Plains is subsidized by the State of Oklahoma - so profits for new routes - until larger planes can come on - aren't a problem.

I am very well aware that GPA is being subsidized by the state of Oklahoma and the local government in TUL and OKC.

All I can say is this...... wait and see. I believe that GPA is a flash in the pan and will be gone within a year.

Going on their 3rd year...not doing too bad I would say. If they disappear with in a year, as you say, just imagine what that would do to Air Wisconsin, PSA, and ACA as far as product/parts support for their Dorniers - considering Great Plains handles all that in the US now.

Great Plains Airlines will have been in service for two (2) years in March of 2003. They bought the certificate of Ozark Airlines and started a brand new company with it. While it is still being operated under the Ozark Airlines certificate, it would be fair to say that GP Air has only been flying for one year and 11 months at this point. Not that that has anything to do with anything. How long did Vanguard Airlines fly before finally throwing the towel in? And how about Braniff before it. And how many other examples do you want? In reference to their proposed Washington, D.C. service (IAD) - they've announced a March start-up but there are no schedules yet, or even a firm start date. My guess, if the 328's that they currently have can't make it to D.C. (IAD) - they aren't going.

It's great to cheer for the underdog - someone has to do it.

I don't believe a March start-up date for IAD. Two reasons: 1) You would want to be selling tix for such a service at least a month in advance (i.e now) 2) They announced Austin for March 11 - probably using the aircraft delivery originally scheduled for Washington.

sfb - thanks for the range info. I did not think the 328JET could fly that far either, but was not sure... after all... I didn't think ATL-DEN on B717 was possible either.

I am a bit surprised we have not seen Wichita on GP Air. Wichita has been spending $$$ to bring in new airlines (AirTran, Frontier/Mesa, Allegiant) - and AirTran has already quietly exited Wichita-Midway. Maybe a B717 is too big, maybe a 328JET would do ok. But I guess that is WAY off topic.

I'm not surprised you haven't seen ICT for Great Plains. Oklahoma City to Wichita is roughly 160 miles; at 70 mph, you can drive it in about 2:15. Tulsa is a slightly longer drive, but probably still not worth operating unless you're trying to be a hub-and-spoke carrier. Even ICT is probably choosing its battles and it's probably not worth throwing money at Great Plains.

Latest posts