Alaska Airlines only hires SMART flight attendants?

luvgoldens24

Sep 8, 2011
My husband is an US Airbus Captain and I have often visited this site. I was hired as a flight attendant at Alaska Air and went through 6 weeks of training with average test scores around 90%, scored 97% the 100 question final then 100% on both my evacuation drills. I had only been online for 10 days when the brand new check air lady came on board to give me a new hire check ride. It states on our paper work for the check ride plus in our contract we are allowed to refer to our inflight manual during the check ride. It was also my first time as "A" flight attendant. I thought it was going well, gave my pilots their hot meals, restroom breaks, and was able to keep up great service to my 16 First Class PAX. The check air lady started asking me questions, like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop? I could not recall, neither of my pilots knew, but kindly looked it up for me. I was marked down for not having the answer immediately. I did well in all areas except for these questions. I know my stuff but was intimidated and nervous. The check air person denied me the use of my manual. Also there was a probationary check ride study guide that we were supposed to have been given, but the entire SEA base did not receive this. If I could have had this paperwork I would have had no trouble passing my check ride. Well, I failed my check ride and was grounded up in ANC. A week later I was called in and this time I knew my stuff as I had received the study guide from an ANC F/A. The first question I hesitated on, (where and how many PBE's on the 737/400 Combi in the fwd. vestible.) I was promptly terminated. I was devastated because I LOVED this company and was so excited to return to the career I loved after staying home for 20 years as a pilot's wife raising our two daughters. They said they had "concerns" on how I would do during an emergency as I was obviously nervous during my check ride. I flew Convair 580's with Aspen Airways in the 80's and had several serious emergencies, and handled them all very well as the solo flight attendant. Seems like such a waste to spend so much training me (rumored to be around $45,000) and then fire me after 10 days for missing one question. It was a huge expense for us as well setting up a apartment in Seattle, then moving it all back again. I promise you I did nothing wrong! Any thoughts? I have a little slide show that takes you through my little adventure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kjrW0mnKI

Attachments

• 262901_10150247530513519_692958518_7413458_1476705_n.jpg
    262901_10150247530513519_692958518_7413458_1476705_n.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,236
My husband is an US Airbus Captain and I have often visited this site. I was hired as a flight attendant at Alaska Air and went through 6 weeks of training with average test scores around 90%, scored 97% the 100 question final then 100% on both my evacuation drills. I had only been online for 10 days when the brand new check air lady came on board to give me a new hire check ride. It states on our paper work for the check ride plus in our contract we are allowed to refer to our inflight manual during the check ride. It was also my first time as "A" flight attendant. I thought it was going well, gave my pilots their hot meals, restroom breaks, and was able to keep up great service to my 16 First Class PAX. The check air lady started asking me questions, like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop? I could not recall, neither of my pilots knew, but kindly looked it up for me. I was marked down for not having the answer immediately. I did well in all areas except for these questions. I know my stuff but was intimidated and nervous. The check air person denied me the use of my manual. Also there was a probationary check ride study guide that we were supposed to have been given, but the entire SEA base did not receive this. If I could have had this paperwork I would have had no trouble passing my check ride. Well, I failed my check ride and was grounded up in ANC. A week later I was called in and this time I knew my stuff as I had received the study guide from an ANC F/A. The first question I hesitated on, (where and how many PBE's on the 737/400 Combi in the fwd. vestible.) I was promptly terminated. I was devastated because I LOVED this company and was so excited to return to the career I loved after staying home for 20 years as a pilot's wife raising our two daughters. They said they had "concerns" on how I would do during an emergency as I was obviously nervous during my check ride. I flew Convair 580's with Aspen Airways in the 80's and had several serious emergencies, and handled them all very well as the solo flight attendant. Seems like such a waste to spend so much training me (rumored to be around $45,000) and then fire me after 10 days for missing one question. It was a huge expense for us as well setting up a apartment in Seattle, then moving it all back again. I promise you I did nothing wrong! Any thoughts? I have a little slide show that takes you through my little adventure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kjrW0mnKI

Like Kevin said WOW. I find it really hard to believe they terminated you after like you said all that training I am not sure but I do believe at most airlines you can brush up and retest. Sounds like this check air lady is a stickler. My cousin Rich is a captain at AS and really likes it there do you have any chance to appeal this? It is not like you're a rookie either you have experience.

I'll add to what Kevin and LineGuy said, WOW! :( I cannot believe those involved. In these tough economic times for airlines, to do this to you after the training expended? For what? She denied the use of your manual which by their rules was OK to use on the ck ride. And the question, "like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop?" Does AS have altimeters in their galleys or F/A stations? Why the hell would you need to know what altitude for? Your just doing your job, your not monitoring cabin altitude. All you need to know is that if those masks drop, what to do then! What a chicken s--t outfit. I getting pissed off just thinking of how badly you were treated. I.m a tech but know several F/A's and I'll run this by them too.

Kevin, remember this is the same outfit that farmed out rampers in SEA and one of those folks ran a belt loader into a MD80 during loading and told no one. Then at altitutde, you know what happened.

I'll add to what Kevin and LineGuy said, WOW! :( I cannot believe those involved. In these tough economic times for airlines, to do this to you after the training expended? For what? She denied the use of your manual which by their rules was OK to use on the ck ride. And the question, "like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop?" Does AS have altimeters in their galleys or F/A stations? Why the hell would you need to know what altitude for? Your just doing your job, your not monitoring cabin altitude. All you need to know is that if those masks drop, what to do then! What a chicken s--t outfit. I getting pissed off just thinking of how badly you were treated. I.m a tech but know several F/A's and I'll run this by them too.

Kevin, remember this is the same outfit that farmed out rampers in SEA and one of those folks ran a belt loader into a MD80 during loading and told no one. Then at altitutde, you know what happened.

I would immediately contact your union. While probationers are not "protected" by the union, the company is required to follow contract. The other route is to file a wrongful termination action. Good luck.

Speak with a union rep, but taking the emotions out of it, facts as they appear are that you failed a check-ride, and didn't do so well on the follow-up.

I had to let probationary employees go, but rarely acted until 30 days, and then didn't usually terminate until 60 days unless it was painfully obvious their performance wasn't going to turn around. But make a mistake that would result in a write-up? Not much choice at that point.

Some companies have different levels of tolerance for issues during probation, particularly if there is oversight from a safety agency.

Reactions: 1 person
Speak with a union rep, but taking the emotions out of it, facts as they appear are that you failed a check-ride, and didn't do so well on the follow-up.

I had to let probationary employees go, but rarely acted until 30 days, and then didn't usually terminate until 60 days unless it was painfully obvious their performance wasn't going to turn around. But make a mistake that would result in a write-up? Not much choice at that point.

Some companies have different levels of tolerance for issues during probation, particularly if there is oversight from a safety agency.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Like my husband said, they just wanted me gone. The events leading up to my dismissal were like the perfect storm, many factors working against me that culmninated in my demise. I found out the lady who was quizzing me on the follow up had a terminallly ill mother who died two days after she terminated me. My supervisor (who is very kind and unthreatening) was out on a medical. I was operating on very little sleep as my crash pad only had a leaky aero bed and I had repeatedly been sent on all nighter trips. (Like 4 a.m. show times, with a midnight show time on the second day of the trip, etc.)
I believe they felt since I got nervous when orally tested I wouldn't be able to perform in an emergency. In reality when I flew for Aspen Airways I had several very serious emergencies and had to prepare my cabin for emergency landings, doing very well. I was told I have a gift for remaining very calm and following procedures. If there was an emergency I promise I would get you out, if I was alive and it was possible!
I got them to review my case, but it was apparent no one wanted to go up against the lady who fired me. I was very saddened by how they handled it, completely heartless. No one helped me arrange to get home, or checked on me, nothing. If it weren't for my husband's passes I wouldn't have gotten home that day.
I'm starting to interview again hoping for another F/A job but am wondering what to tell interviewers when they ask why I was fired by AS. I do want to be accountable but honestly I couldn't have studied harder or given it more effort. I think they misjudged me but how can I turn this experience into a positive?

Somewhere in that video, I coulda sworn I saw a sobriety chip. If you can swing that, you can handle your next series of interviews. It appears AS just wasn't meant to be... Keep us posted!

Thanks, yes I do have over 20 years of sobriety. What's so ironic is when I was a young party girl/flight attendant I never got in trouble, lol. Now that I am 100% responsible I am terminated. WTHI'll get over it, just want to fly while I am physically able, loved taking care of my PAX!

Thanks, yes I do have over 20 years of sobriety. What's so ironic is when I was a young party girl/flight attendant I never got in trouble, lol. Now that I am 100% responsible I am terminated. WTHI'll get over it, just want to fly while I am physically able, loved taking care of my PAX!
Apply to SWA. Watch Southwest.com religiously. They will be hiring F/A's soon after or maybe before SOC. Just from the pics you look likke you will fit in, just hate to see you'll have to go thru all that training again, stay updated should be very easy for you... Good luck!!

Apply to SWA. Watch Southwest.com religiously. They will be hiring F/A's soon after or maybe before SOC. Just from the pics you look likke you will fit in, just hate to see you'll have to go thru all that training again, stay updated should be very easy for you... Good luck!!

Thanks, I do check the SWA website at least twice daily. Last time they opened it up (was it late April?) I got caught up in the computer meltdown drama and never got my app in. I will keep trying! Heading to Vegas in the morning to try for the third time at Allegiant! I think the Captain is getting tired of me being unemployed. I will have to take a "boring" job on the ground if I don't get good news soon. Thanks everyone!

I believe they have been pretty harsh upon you, as for no reason they terminated you. But get your self in control for you do have many more chances to prove yourselves.

I believe they have been pretty harsh upon you, as for no reason they terminated you. But get your self in control for you do have many more chances to prove yourselves.

Don't give up, ever. When I started interviewing for airline jobs 11 years ago, I was rejected by every airline except American Eagle. I now fly for a major carrier and have been for the past decade. Unfortunately, when you are on probation, you really have no recourse. Airlines cannot disclose why you were terminated. Keep interviewing and btw, American Airlines may hire next year. Start learning a foreign language while you are interviewing.