Alaska Airlines only hires SMART flight attendants?

what kind of check flight attendant says you cant use your manual to look up a answer your unsure of? Whats the point of having to drag that thing around in the first place. The FAA wants flight attendants to use their manuals. I had a FAA check ride once (about 3 years ago) I cant remember the question but instead of guessing I stopped and said "Let me check my FAM". The FAA person complimented me for using my manual instead of guessing. See if you can contact the FAA cabin inspector of your company to see what they think.

Reactions: 1 person
IMHO, you may never be hired. Putting your name and info on the internet is never a good idea unless you have a stellar and recent work history, past history, and/or whatever you put your name to either real or percieved..

You have none and have added to your internet presence.

In today's world, every post you make, facebook comment, myspace comment, blog, internet comment, etc will be gleaned by Human Resources of most any company today.

I made that mistake several years ago.

B) xUT

Edit By Me:This post:

IMHO, you may never be hired. Putting your name and info on the internet is never a good idea unless you have a stellar and recent work history, past history, and/or whatever you put your name to either real or percieved..

You have none and have added to your internet presence.

In today's world, every post you make, facebook comment, myspace comment, blog, internet comment, etc will be gleaned by Human Resources of most any company today.

I made that mistake several years ago.

B) xUT

Edit By Me:This post:

I agree. I would be leery of hiring a disgruntled employee who put their name out there for all to see after being rejected.

Everything you do is a snapshot of future behavior.

That makes sense to anyone with any training in HR.

Could be they didnt want you because your Husband had a heart attack. They figure you could end up costing them a lot in medical bills.

I would not broadcast your Husbands medical history.

You seem to be very organized, outgoing and enthusiastic, skills that are an assett in any job. Perhaps instead of returning to this industry, which has changed a lot over the last twenty years, and not for the better, maybe you should try something else. Something that wont require that you miss milestones with your kids.

My wife reentered the workforce two years ago. She became an RN. Her hourly rate is around $6/hr more than mine after more than 25 years with my current employer and she is never more than 10 minutes from the house.

Whatever you decide good luck and remember that every failure becomes an assett as long as there is a lesson learned.

Could be they didnt want you because your Husband had a heart attack. They figure you could end up costing them a lot in medical bills.

I would not broadcast your Husbands medical history.

You seem to be very organized, outgoing and enthusiastic, skills that are an assett in any job. Perhaps instead of returning to this industry, which has changed a lot over the last twenty years, and not for the better, maybe you should try something else. Something that wont require that you miss milestones with your kids.

My wife reentered the workforce two years ago. She became an RN. Her hourly rate is around $6/hr more than mine after more than 25 years with my current employer and she is never more than 10 minutes from the house.

Whatever you decide good luck and remember that every failure becomes an assett as long as there is a lesson learned.

As a former union rep with a 100% win history, I believe there has to be more to the story. Airlines do not casually fire new people. I would lose the "I'm a Captain's wife" and really think about your training evals and feedback you received from mangt. You never indicated what your base rep had to say. While you ARE an "at will" employee during probation the company is required to follow the contract. I have never known of a union rep not to at least make inquires to see if this could be reversed. With your public disclosure I would imagine you have locked that door. Best of luck and believe it or not, there is life after flying and it can be every bit as exciting.

what kind of check flight attendant says you cant use your manual to look up a answer your unsure of? Whats the point of having to drag that thing around in the first place. The FAA wants flight attendants to use their manuals. I had a FAA check ride once (about 3 years ago) I cant remember the question but instead of guessing I stopped and said "Let me check my FAM". The FAA person complimented me for using my manual instead of guessing. See if you can contact the FAA cabin inspector of your company to see what they think.

Exactly! Thank-you! The check air lady was brand new, I was only her maybe 5th check ride? I did really well all through training. When I redid my safety questions I was told I "could not communicate effectively." I was nervous and may have been talking faster than I should have.
No one in training knew my husband was a pilot nor would they have cared. As hard as it may be to believe, I really did get a raw deal here. To give up 6 weeks of my life, working harder than I ever had in my life studying and absorbing the information, living in a hotel with a stranger, up at 2:30 a.m. many mornings for airport outings, all that to get to work for 10 days is very unfair. Many F/A's from the class prior to mine still have not had their check rides. The union reps never got back to me. It felt to me like there are many people living in fear over there.

My husband is an US Airbus Captain and I have often visited this site. I was hired as a flight attendant at Alaska Air and went through 6 weeks of training with average test scores around 90%, scored 97% the 100 question final then 100% on both my evacuation drills. I had only been online for 10 days when the brand new check air lady came on board to give me a new hire check ride. It states on our paper work for the check ride plus in our contract we are allowed to refer to our inflight manual during the check ride. It was also my first time as "A" flight attendant. I thought it was going well, gave my pilots their hot meals, restroom breaks, and was able to keep up great service to my 16 First Class PAX. The check air lady started asking me questions, like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop? I could not recall, neither of my pilots knew, but kindly looked it up for me. I was marked down for not having the answer immediately. I did well in all areas except for these questions. I know my stuff but was intimidated and nervous. The check air person denied me the use of my manual. Also there was a probationary check ride study guide that we were supposed to have been given, but the entire SEA base did not receive this. If I could have had this paperwork I would have had no trouble passing my check ride. Well, I failed my check ride and was grounded up in ANC. A week later I was called in and this time I knew my stuff as I had received the study guide from an ANC F/A. The first question I hesitated on, (where and how many PBE's on the 737/400 Combi in the fwd. vestible.) I was promptly terminated. I was devastated because I LOVED this company and was so excited to return to the career I loved after staying home for 20 years as a pilot's wife raising our two daughters. They said they had "concerns" on how I would do during an emergency as I was obviously nervous during my check ride. I flew Convair 580's with Aspen Airways in the 80's and had several serious emergencies, and handled them all very well as the solo flight attendant. Seems like such a waste to spend so much training me (rumored to be around $45,000) and then fire me after 10 days for missing one question. It was a huge expense for us as well setting up a apartment in Seattle, then moving it all back again. I promise you I did nothing wrong! Any thoughts? I have a little slide show that takes you through my little adventure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kjrW0mnKI

Flt attendants are smart everyone has a different iq usirways flt AT&T are rood full of them selves self centred us bad language to passengers I have noticed this while I travel also are the car in airports one airport comes to mind is rod in il Parker needs to control this flt attendants

Have gotten word that MANY of my former classmates did not progress past probation. I think maybe 50% are still retained? They fired some of the most caring, personable flight attendants/people I have ever met. Hopefully AS's mistakes will be another airline's gain.

Have gotten word that MANY of my former classmates did not progress past probation. I think maybe 50% are still retained? They fired some of the most caring, personable flight attendants/people I have ever met. Hopefully AS's mistakes will be another airline's gain.

So sorry to hear that..My cousin is a captain for AS he always said they were a good airline. But who knows. I work for FX and I have seen them do some stupid hiring practices so mistakes are always possible. Good luck to you I feel you are a professional who will be recognized and appreciated by another carrier.

So sorry to hear that..My cousin is a captain for AS he always said they were a good airline. But who knows. I work for FX and I have seen them do some stupid hiring practices so mistakes are always possible. Good luck to you I feel you are a professional who will be recognized and appreciated by another carrier.
[/quote]

The pilot group seems to be very content. They were all very friendly and welcoming. But it is a very different vibe with the f/a's. My classmates who are still there are living in fear that they will be next to let go. As much as I thought I loved AS, who wants to live with that constant stress? I hear I was written up for having my purse in the galley once during boarding. I vaguely recall that situation and remember not being able to connect with the senior f/a who mentioned my purse. I have learned so much from this sad situation, if I get another shot at another carrier I will be more reserved and pay more attention to the company mentality. Try to fit in and do exactly as everyone else does, no more. I'm the type of person who likes to hang around and help the cleaners, lol. I don't think that sat well with some, in retrospect.

Just a note to thank you all for your kind words and give an update. I am in training for a charter outfit and getting excited about flying again. Along the way I collected enough reject notices to wallpaper my bathroom. So grateful to have an opportunity to fly again!

My husband is an US Airbus Captain and I have often visited this site. I was hired as a flight attendant at Alaska Air and went through 6 weeks of training with average test scores around 90%, scored 97% the 100 question final then 100% on both my evacuation drills. I had only been online for 10 days when the brand new check air lady came on board to give me a new hire check ride. It states on our paper work for the check ride plus in our contract we are allowed to refer to our inflight manual during the check ride. It was also my first time as "A" flight attendant. I thought it was going well, gave my pilots their hot meals, restroom breaks, and was able to keep up great service to my 16 First Class PAX. The check air lady started asking me questions, like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop? I could not recall, neither of my pilots knew, but kindly looked it up for me. I was marked down for not having the answer immediately. I did well in all areas except for these questions. I know my stuff but was intimidated and nervous. The check air person denied me the use of my manual. Also there was a probationary check ride study guide that we were supposed to have been given, but the entire SEA base did not receive this. If I could have had this paperwork I would have had no trouble passing my check ride. Well, I failed my check ride and was grounded up in ANC. A week later I was called in and this time I knew my stuff as I had received the study guide from an ANC F/A. The first question I hesitated on, (where and how many PBE's on the 737/400 Combi in the fwd. vestible.) I was promptly terminated. I was devastated because I LOVED this company and was so excited to return to the career I loved after staying home for 20 years as a pilot's wife raising our two daughters. They said they had "concerns" on how I would do during an emergency as I was obviously nervous during my check ride. I flew Convair 580's with Aspen Airways in the 80's and had several serious emergencies, and handled them all very well as the solo flight attendant. Seems like such a waste to spend so much training me (rumored to be around $45,000) and then fire me after 10 days for missing one question. It was a huge expense for us as well setting up a apartment in Seattle, then moving it all back again. I promise you I did nothing wrong! Any thoughts? I have a little slide show that takes you through my little adventure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kjrW0mnKI