Alaska Airlines only hires SMART flight attendants?

My husband is an US Airbus Captain and I have often visited this site. I was hired as a flight attendant at Alaska Air and went through 6 weeks of training with average test scores around 90%, scored 97% the 100 question final then 100% on both my evacuation drills. I had only been online for 10 days when the brand new check air lady came on board to give me a new hire check ride. It states on our paper work for the check ride plus in our contract we are allowed to refer to our inflight manual during the check ride. It was also my first time as "A" flight attendant. I thought it was going well, gave my pilots their hot meals, restroom breaks, and was able to keep up great service to my 16 First Class PAX. The check air lady started asking me questions, like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop? I could not recall, neither of my pilots knew, but kindly looked it up for me. I was marked down for not having the answer immediately. I did well in all areas except for these questions. I know my stuff but was intimidated and nervous. The check air person denied me the use of my manual. Also there was a probationary check ride study guide that we were supposed to have been given, but the entire SEA base did not receive this. If I could have had this paperwork I would have had no trouble passing my check ride. Well, I failed my check ride and was grounded up in ANC. A week later I was called in and this time I knew my stuff as I had received the study guide from an ANC F/A. The first question I hesitated on, (where and how many PBE's on the 737/400 Combi in the fwd. vestible.) I was promptly terminated. I was devastated because I LOVED this company and was so excited to return to the career I loved after staying home for 20 years as a pilot's wife raising our two daughters. They said they had "concerns" on how I would do during an emergency as I was obviously nervous during my check ride. I flew Convair 580's with Aspen Airways in the 80's and had several serious emergencies, and handled them all very well as the solo flight attendant. Seems like such a waste to spend so much training me (rumored to be around $45,000) and then fire me after 10 days for missing one question. It was a huge expense for us as well setting up a apartment in Seattle, then moving it all back again. I promise you I did nothing wrong! Any thoughts? I have a little slide show that takes you through my little adventure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kjrW0mnKI

Sorry this happened to you. As I see it, you had two things working against you. Probie status, and no union representation as a Probie.

I've heard SW can be tough with check rides too, especially in probationary months. I've never heard anything about AS.

When I have probationaries on board, I usually preface my actions with "Don't do this, you'll get fired"

Just a note to thank you all for your kind words and give an update. I am in training for a charter outfit and getting excited about flying again. Along the way I collected enough reject notices to wallpaper my bathroom. So grateful to have an opportunity to fly again!

Good to hear..Its a shame we really need veterans like you in the ranks who really care. But I have seen so many unfair practices in hiring on all levels from pilots right on down the line. Seen so many great people passed over and losers hired in their place. Guess its just how it is.. Keep your chin up and hope to have you as my F/A on a flight in the near future.

Speak with a union rep, but taking the emotions out of it, facts as they appear are that you failed a check-ride, and didn't do so well on the follow-up.

I had to let probationary employees go, but rarely acted until 30 days, and then didn't usually terminate until 60 days unless it was painfully obvious their performance wasn't going to turn around. But make a mistake that would result in a write-up? Not much choice at that point.

Some companies have different levels of tolerance for issues during probation, particularly if there is oversight from a safety agency.
Wow.... what a story!! Well once the economy turns around and the airlines start to hire, I say go for it again!!! AA will make it thru the BK and someday will be in a huge growth mode. Keep your eye out for AA to hire in a year or so. We need good people like you!!!!

what kind of check flight attendant says you cant use your manual to look up a answer your unsure of? Whats the point of having to drag that thing around in the first place. The FAA wants flight attendants to use their manuals. I had a FAA check ride once (about 3 years ago) I cant remember the question but instead of guessing I stopped and said "Let me check my FAM". The FAA person complimented me for using my manual instead of guessing. See if you can contact the FAA cabin inspector of your company to see what they think.

The FAA always allows you to check your Manual when they ask you a question... You should always say
"let me check my manual" and it is perfectly ok... I say you should check with the AFA...
However, you were on probation so i don't know...???

Good luck... I hope you can b a f/a again! I just found out UsAirways is going to hire as well!

Hi Miss Luvgolden
I happen to see your post..ASa fired me on the last day of probation, a 100 yrs ago. Sorry for all the games they play. I fly for another major have been for 24 yrs. However, am thinking about taking the out, and applying with ASA. I have alot of questions, about the pay, scheduling, probation, everything and would love to talk to someone about the particulars before applying. I would love to connect, possibly through this forum and get some answers before quitting. I'm just tired of flying international, and being away from Alaska, my home. Please if you read this (or anyone who is a flight attendant with ASA), could you please connect and answer a few questions for me. I would really appreciate it. Take care

My husband is an US Airbus Captain and I have often visited this site. I was hired as a flight attendant at Alaska Air and went through 6 weeks of training with average test scores around 90%, scored 97% the 100 question final then 100% on both my evacuation drills. I had only been online for 10 days when the brand new check air lady came on board to give me a new hire check ride. It states on our paper work for the check ride plus in our contract we are allowed to refer to our inflight manual during the check ride. It was also my first time as "A" flight attendant. I thought it was going well, gave my pilots their hot meals, restroom breaks, and was able to keep up great service to my 16 First Class PAX. The check air lady started asking me questions, like at what altitude do the O2 masks drop? I could not recall, neither of my pilots knew, but kindly looked it up for me. I was marked down for not having the answer immediately. I did well in all areas except for these questions. I know my stuff but was intimidated and nervous. The check air person denied me the use of my manual. Also there was a probationary check ride study guide that we were supposed to have been given, but the entire SEA base did not receive this. If I could have had this paperwork I would have had no trouble passing my check ride. Well, I failed my check ride and was grounded up in ANC. A week later I was called in and this time I knew my stuff as I had received the study guide from an ANC F/A. The first question I hesitated on, (where and how many PBE's on the 737/400 Combi in the fwd. vestible.) I was promptly terminated. I was devastated because I LOVED this company and was so excited to return to the career I loved after staying home for 20 years as a pilot's wife raising our two daughters. They said they had "concerns" on how I would do during an emergency as I was obviously nervous during my check ride. I flew Convair 580's with Aspen Airways in the 80's and had several serious emergencies, and handled them all very well as the solo flight attendant. Seems like such a waste to spend so much training me (rumored to be around $45,000) and then fire me after 10 days for missing one question. It was a huge expense for us as well setting up a apartment in Seattle, then moving it all back again. I promise you I did nothing wrong! Any thoughts? I have a little slide show that takes you through my little adventure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-kjrW0mnKI

luvgoldens24;

____First and foremost I would think this ck rider so called mentor had an ax to grind and it was you.. No doubt she was intimated for some reason by your presence & strikes me as someone with little or no love or compassion in her life....I would also think she was no doubt from the ugly side of the street with very large hips; came close didn't I.______

Thomas
Denver Station

Good to hear..Its a shame we really need veterans like you in the ranks who really care. But I have seen so many unfair practices in hiring on all levels from pilots right on down the line. Seen so many great people passed over and losers hired in their place. Guess its just how it is.. Keep your chin up and hope to have you as my F/A on a flight in the near future.

____Isn't it wonderful that in this country anymore we only cater to the minority and their petty, uneducated, ignorant, stupid human waist. Remember this come Nov, 2012 and vote with your brain and not emotion.....You want real Hope and Change well so does our economy remember this when gas reaches $5.00 per gal in few short months...

luvgoldens24;

____First and foremost I would think this ck rider so called mentor had an ax to grind and it was you.. No doubt she was intimated for some reason by your presence & strikes me as someone with little or no love or compassion in her life....I would also think she was no doubt from the ugly side of the street with very large hips; came close didn't I.______

Thomas
Denver Station
Exactly! She was a new checkrider and is trying to climb the corporate ladder on your back. Its unfortunate, but MOST women in a position of quasi power, over use their power to get a job done. I had a supervisor in SFO who fired 25 flight attendants in 5 yrs. These flight attendants lost homes, marriages and custody of their kids because of her actions. 10 yrs later, her husband was on the airplane that slammed into the Pentagon..she had multiple breakdowns and eventually was forced to quit. I'm not saying I'm glad this happened, but its a rule of the universe..the seeds you sow are what you grow. I'm sorry that happened to you. It happened to me as well, but went on to have a 25yr career as a flight attendant. Alaska isn't the ONLY airline out there.

Flt attendants are smart everyone has a different iq usirways flt AT&T are rood full of them selves self centred us bad language to passengers I have noticed this while I travel also are the car in airports one airport comes to mind is rod in il Parker needs to control this flt attendants

English, please.