Alpa Calls Emergency Meeting

usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I hear alpa is holding an emergency meeting in PIT tomorrow? Any clues to what might happen?

usfliboi said:
I hear alpa is holding an emergency meeting in PIT tomorrow? Any clues to what might happen?
[post="177686"][/post]​

Special MEC Meeting Only. Non-Emergency. Just the normal crisis.

Reports indicate the RC4 are calling the meeting to remove Jack Stephen as Communications Committee and Don Hollerbach from the Negotiating Committee. Both men oppose the RC4 actions and have voiced their objection.

Apparently, the RC4 wabt to replace them with "hardliners".

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Reports indicate the RC4 are calling the meeting to remove Jack Stephen as Communications Committee and Don Hollerbach from the Negotiating Committee. Both men oppose the RC4 actions and have voiced their objection.
[post="177715"][/post]​

Assume for a second that you are correct in the statement they want to remove Stephen. Could it be that they feel that way since it appears, on the outside at least, that he may have misrepresented their position in all the Code-a-Phone's? Could it be that they at least want someone they consider to be objective with reporting the facts?

If the RC4 have the power they do, why do they need to remove the one member of the NC? They can override his vote by just not allowing a TA to go out. Or, is it true that they fully intend to let any negotiated TA to go out as they had apparently promised their constituents? In that case I could see why they want at least someone representing their opinion on the NC.

USA320Pilot said:

Apparently, the RC4 wabt to replace them with "hardliners".

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="177715"][/post]​

Good. It is painfully obvious that the "bend over and take it" technique of the Give away gang is not working.

Either make the airline a place you would actually want to work, or let it die so it doesn't pollute the rest of the profession.

106 seat jets at the express carrier!!!!!!! YGTBSM!!!!!! + the rest of the train wreck.... And you actually want to vote on that crap??!!

If that is allowed, mainline is dead and you are out of work anyhow so at least have the gonads to try to keep the career worth all the time and effort it takes to get.

ONTHESTREET said:
Good. It is painfully obvious that the "bend over and take it" technique of the Give away gang is not working.

Either make the airline a place you would actually want to work, or let it die so it doesn't pollute the rest of the profession.

[post="177727"][/post]​

I agree with this thinking.

Whatever ALPA ends up agreeing to will ultimately effect every group and their negotiations.

For example: If ALPA gives relief to the company on the a/c number for mainline, or on their Define contribution, wages and workrules, and even a new amendable date, all labor groups would be hard pressed to have the ability to negotiate otherwise or something more reasonable to fit their members ability earn a livable wage to support their families.

Sorry charlies, I agree with the RC4.

You know, after all the "pleading" for pilots to attend the MEC meeting in DCA as it turned into several days, there isn't one word on the code-a-phone about tomorrow's MEC meeting.

I'll be willing to bet that the RO7 phone tree is humming, though. And you can be sure that one LGA based pilot will be there....

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
You know, after all the "pleading" for pilots to attend the MEC meeting in DCA as it turned into several days, there isn't one word on the code-a-phone about tomorrow's MEC meeting.

I'll be willing to bet that the RO7 phone tree is humming, though. And you can be sure that one LGA based pilot will be there....

Jim
[post="177739"][/post]​

The PIT AFA Local Pres plans on being there with her officers if she doesn't get booted out just to support the local PIT ALPA Reps from AFA.

Actually Pitbull, I wouldnt joke about that ! :) You thinking about mainline jets ummm is alittle weird. If US declares BK i suspect all boings are gone, then what? Wouldnt it have been better to talk and beat the odds? Gees the thinking of the broken union. Our unions are broken and ineffective. The same leaders of our unions who throw the stone of saying our management is inept, are as equally responsible for the failure once again of our corp.

PITbull said:
I agree with this thinking.

Whatever ALPA ends up agreeing to will ultimately effect every group and their negotiations.

For example: If ALPA gives relief to the company on the a/c number for mainline, or on their Define contribution, wages and workrules, and even a new amendable date, all labor groups would be hard pressed to have the ability to negotiate otherwise or something more reasonable to fit their members ability earn a livable wage to support their families.
Sorry charlies, I agree with the RC4.
[post="177734"][/post]​

Not only at U. Whatever we do is being watched very carefully by the rest of the industry. If we let the express carriers fly 106 seaters for dirtbag wages, the rest of the industry will follow, or at least try. The same goes for all the rest. If IAM is expressed.......ALL IAM will be hit with the same treatment. CWA, AFA etc.. This is not something that can be allowed to begin.

This problem actually goes back to the early 70's when Allegheny and Eastern started the whole "Commuter" industry. You see where we are today. Pilots, Mechanics, F/A's CWA all slitting each others throats to undercut and undermine the entire aviation profession.

No longer is it airline A against airline B. Now we have 10 different factions of airline A destroying the livelyhood of each other.

As a pilot, I have turned down 3 different Captain spots at the J4J carriers. Why? Because I make alot more money flying a micro-jet around with 2 guys on board, and I have more time off than I know what to do with. However even I am feeling the effects of what is happening on the 121 side. As the airline profession is eroded past what a cabbie in New York, or a bus driver in Charlotte makes it is getting harder to keep the Corporate pay rates up as well.

To ALPA pilots......How low are you going to go? Is your training and education worth so little? IAM mechanics....Same question, 20 bucks an hour to ensure the safe operation of a 30 million dollar airplane with 10 years experience? Is that why you stress over making sure the repair is right and safe? Most car mechanics get paid better. CWA..13 bucks an hour? I guarantee that a good Agent with people skills can do double or more at a nice auto dealership on commission. AFA..Same deal. It takes enormous amounts of people skills to deal with the public, If you can F/A well, you can sure transfer that to other areas.

My point as I see it is this, There comes a time when the job is just not worth it. And its time to say enough.

If U is to die, then let it. But don't kill the entire career field off in the process.

Just an insider now outside and seeing clearly for the first time in years!