ALPA PHL Council 41 Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
ALPA PHL Council 41 Update for July 23, 2007

Adios Bambinos’ Or It Really Was a Winning Ticket

Did any of you know we, (the US Airways MEC and the AWA MEC), along with their respective Merger Committees were summoned last week to the eighth floor of the AFL-CIO building in DC for a little Kumbaya? The hosts were Captain Prater and specifically, Captain Paul Rice’s committee put together to help facilitate the stalemate known as the Nicolau Award. Captain Rice (UA) heads up a committee created by Prater that includes Captain Miller (NWA), and Captain Dave Webb of Fed-X, all seasoned fellas. Their mission is (was) to help us, (we and awa), explore an end run around the stalemate created by the EC’s continued refusal to get further involved by tipping the scales either way. I guess we can thank them for that. Let’s face it, this is a no smoking zone for very good reason…a single spark and …oh well, it would probably be KABOOM, for a lot of things as we know them, if you get my drift.

AWA brought their attorney, Mr. Jeffrey Freund with them. We had no one to represent us. Our newly hired attorney was out of town and could not be reached early on in the morning at the start of things. He was later located by Kevin Barry of the Merger Committee. I objected to Freund’s being there as we are litigating the Nicolau Award and after all, it wouldn’t be too cool for us to prejudice our case by beginning settlement discussions, now, would it? Prater and the ALPA lawyers assured us that wouldn’t happen. I’ll take that bet!

We were in and out without a scratch, and let everyone know we are searching for a solution for this un-workable award. Strangely, everyone on the planet but the AWA MEC understands this award will not work. Their chairman and one of their more thoughtful reps kept explaining that given enough money, a couple of years down the road the East guys would learn to live with this award. Have another mushroom, amigos! BTW, didn’t the “take the 340’s and shove em†reply send ya some kind of a clue?

So basically, they are locked into their position. It is what it is. We cannot make the company put these two airlines together if they do not want to. The company is now anxious to clean up their “labor balance sheet†in order to give them more flexibility in the M&A arena and it may provide some early opportunities for us. We ain’t gonna clean up this mess on the cheap, and the company pretty much understands this or so it is reported. Time will tell.

We could be looking at single contract separate operations, or separate agreements and separate operations. The East and the company will be exploring these possibilities. No matter how well each separate pilot group may do in the “separate mode,†in my opinion there will be losers created by this strategy. First, to those of you who will be around for a while, say 50ish or so and younger guys, you are entitled, in my opinion, to what your expectations were at the announcement of the merger; a bigger stronger airline with the capacity for more synergies, profitability, and opportunities created by the implementation of a list which is consistent with the tenants of ALPA Merger Policy. Secondly, The AWA guys will never find another potential inheritance the magnitude of what has recently been before them. There will never be another arbitration boondoggle like this on the short term ALPA horizon. You can bet on that! Nicolau will not happen again real soon. This old fart has cost the company and the Association a bunch! The AWA guys will never find another deal in which, even if they were stapled, would they inherit so much so soon.

The Price of A quick Deal in order to do a DEAL

Dave and I will work hard in order to ensure that if in fact the company wants to clean up their labor balance sheet in order to give them flexibility to make a deal moving ahead that nothing gets forgotten. We will ensure that we not give assurances and/or concessions and then get sucked into long protracted negotiations. You can rest assured that the dollar numbers on the JNC table are already looking a little weak. They are still bankruptcy +%. This is a non starter as far as the cost of getting out of this mess and into the next deal and on the beach behind for management. The reserve system as you know it is over if we are to proceed on the path to fix managements problems in not being able to do their next deal….O-V-E-R! Already, our furloughees are finding out there actually is something worse than being furloughed…..being on reserve around here. Vacation will be on the table right up front too in order to begin walking down this path. It will be a short path. Everything has been put on the table already during the JNC process. The issues are known to both sides. Let’s face it. The company has been jerking us around for two years moving ahead only at their pace in spits and spurts. Now only ninety days after the Nicolau Award they’re in panic mode that things are stalled…go figure.

Men Are From Mars — AWA Guys Are From Venus

I thought I’d share a little interplanetary wisdom picked up from Captain McIlvenna and Jon Garcia (a good guy, BTW, Hey! they just think differently) of AWA yesterday. Both said to the astonishment of all in the room, with the exception of the other Venetians (are all Venetians from Vegas?) “With a really good contract in a couple of years the east guys will get used to this Nicloau list.†“They may not like it, but they will get used to it.†Not only did they say it once, twice, but perhaps three times…..Honest!

Gee, I would‘ve thought telling the company to shove the 340’s would’ve given them a clue but remember, they’ve never seen these movies before….they weren’t tall enough to get in!

As Freddie Fender would have said…..Adious Bambinos!....and easy on the shrooms!

Follow the three prong approach, Fly safe, Family First, and SAP down for quality of life.

Fraternally,

Eric Rowe
Dave Ciabattoni
Jim Portale

P.S. Another day without having to read a post from 700UW! AWA320 could be next! :up: :up:

ALPA PHL Council 41 Update for July 23, 2007

Adios Bambinos’ Or It Really Was a Winning Ticket...

MOD NOTE: Please Do NOT quote lengthy posts in your subsequent posts, ESPECIALLY when the post you are responding to immediately precedes your post.

Eric, Dave and Jim define the term "sour grapes". The biting vitriole and bitterness seething from these three is interesting, and certainly enlightening when you understand the deep sense of entitlement which has occupied the minds of a few of these poor easties. It is a shame, and I feel sorrow for them. These kind of people burdened with anguish over an imagined tragedy spanning their failed airline careers and landing short of their own personal expectations- and it ends with the Nicolau award. Through these statements above a person can witness the failure of logic and reason which we have repeatedly seen in the AAA union leadership. They are the victims in their own story and will probably leave this industry angry. What a tragedy their careers have been; their failed expectations and irreconcilable differences between logic and reality.

Eric, Dave and Jim define the term "sour grapes". The biting vitriole and bitterness seething from these three is interesting, and certainly enlightening when you understand the deep sense of entitlement which has occupied the minds of a few of these poor easties. It is a shame, and I feel sorrow for them. These kind of people burdened with anguish over an imagined tragedy spanning their failed airline careers and landing short of their own personal expectations- and it ends with the Nicolau award. Through these statements above a person can witness the failure of logic and reason which we have repeatedly seen in the AAA union leadership. They are the victims in their own story and will probably leave this industry angry. What a tragedy their careers have been; their failed expectations and irreconcilable differences between logic and reality.

Very well said, although it's not the first time in history nor will it be the last time that a group is commandeered by megalomaniacs.

Excellent post. Succinct and right on the money.

I commend the AWA MEC for their professionalism, and for steering clear of the threats and extortion. Stay the course, continue to demonstrate your consistent integrity and you will be successful navigating this storm.

Excellent post. Succinct and right on the money.

I commend the AWA MEC for their professionalism, and for steering clear of the threats and extortion. Stay the course, continue to demonstrate your consistent integrity and you will be successful navigating this storm.

Thank you 767, it is often difficult while faced with such hostility and unprofessionalism.

I commend the AWA MEC for their professionalism, and for steering clear of the threats and extortion.

AWA320:"Thank you 767, it is often difficult while faced with such hostility and unprofessionalism"

Group hug time? :lol:

I commend them as well. Without the actions of the west mec..there'd be little opportunity for finally decertifying Alpo :up:

AWA320:"Thank you 767, it is often difficult while faced with such hostility and unprofessionalism"

Group hug time? :lol:

I commend them as well. Without the actions of the west mec..there'd be little opportunity for finally decertifying Alpo :up:

Without the action in the west OMG that has to be the funniest post of the year. YOU CHOOSE this course of action East now you want to blame us, that's rich. I could care less if you get the votes to decert or not. You guys just don't get it, well see ya in Arb this time it will get shoved down quickly on you :up: :lol:

Sheep still making dumb move after dumb move! You kill me...

Without the actions of the AWA MEC there would be an opportunity for an agreement; however, according to the PHL Reps. "the company is now anxious to clean up their 'labor balance sheet' in order to give them more flexibility in the M&A arena and it may provide some early opportunities for us."

As I indicated earlier this week and echoed by the PHL Reps. in their update above, the East pilots "could be looking at single contract separate operations, or separate agreements and separate operations. The East and the company will be exploring these possibilities."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

As I indicated earlier this week and echoed by the PHL Reps. in their update above, the East pilots "could be looking at single contract separate operations, or separate agreements and separate operations. The East and the company will be exploring these possibilities."

Is that similiar to

Furthermore, negotiations have now started between the East pilots and company for pay parity, which is something the West pilots should support because it will help the entire profession improve pilot wages.

How are those parity negotiations going......

Jim

BoeingBoy,

It is my understnading the Company, ALPA International, and the East MEC are looking at a couple of options instead of "pay parity", which could achieve the MEC's objectives.

MEC sources indicate that the intent of this week's "EC Resolution and the Rice Committee is to now move the process of 'finding solutions' to this issue forward. And, if any party is unwilling to engage in this process, then we'll (ALPA International and the East MEC) move forward in negotiations 'without them'."

Apparently, "the JNC talks will go forward, but not in the 'traditional sense,' and may include many different variations that we have not yet even considered."

An option that would be more beneficial to the East pilots than pay parity would be two of the Rice Committee's recommendations of single contract & separate operations or separate agreements & separate operations. Furthermore, the PHL Reps. indicated the "East (MEC/NC) and the Company will be exploring these possibilities."

What's interesting is that these options are permitted by the Transition Agreement. And, according to the PHL Reps. "The company is now anxious to clean up their 'labor balance sheet' in order to give them more flexibility in the M&A arena and it may provide some early opportunities for us."

By the way...how is retirement and your inability to be a chameleon?

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

Wow, was that really an official ALPA communication in the OP? How embarassing for them.

It is my understnading the Company, ALPA International, and the East MEC are looking at a couple of options instead of "pay parity", which could achieve the MEC's objectives.
Maybe if they keep throwing stuff at the wall something will stick....

Vacating the award didn't work, although you mentioned the 13-1 vote repeatedly.

East living under LOA 93 didn't last long, though you mentioned the "solidarity" to do just that on many occasions.

Achieving pay parity while stonewalling a joint contract didn't work, although you sang that song to death. How did it go - Parker initiated the discussion and was anxious for labor peace in the East or something like that?

Talk about a chamelion - what'll be your next "sure thing" that the West MEC is powerless to stop? Oh yeah, now Parker/Kirby, who wouldn't even entertain pay parity outside a joint contract, are going to jump on the chance for full contract parity without the ability of put the operation together? Why do I have this funny feeling of deja vu all over again?

Jim

Without the action in the west OMG that has to be the funniest post of the year. YOU CHOOSE this course of action East now you want to blame us, that's rich. I could care less if you get the votes to decert or not. You guys just don't get it, well see ya in Arb this time it will get shoved down quickly on you :up: :lol:

Sheep still making dumb move after dumb move! You kill me...

I don't "blame" you. I thank you guys most sincerely for the help in getting any/all fence sitters to fully endorse dumping Alpo :up:

"You kill me..." Tempting as the idea might be, just for sport...Ummm: Sorry..you'll have to keep on living your peculiar little life :down:

It is my understanding the Company, ALPA International, and the East MEC are looking at a couple of options instead of "pay parity", which could achieve the MEC's objectives.

I see how that works. You went to Doogie to ask for parity but instead he said "I can do you one better, not only will I give you parity, I've got a couple of other things I want to give you without you guys having to worry about a pesky joint contract"

And, if any party is unwilling to engage in this process, then we'll (ALPA International and the East MEC) move forward in negotiations 'without them'."

Nice. "Any party is unwilling" followed by "ALPA and the East will move forward". How does that jive with the East leadership advocating decertification of ALPA in official ALPA communications releases? The EC will not vacate unless there's substantiated fraud, which there isn't (as per the EC resolution). Please have Garland and the three Stooges from Philly put out some more of these updates full of veiled threats and unsubstantiated allegations against ALPA, the company and the West. We'll see who gets left behind.

Furthermore, the PHL Reps. indicated the "East (MEC/NC) and the Company will be exploring these possibilities." And, according to the PHL Reps. "The company is now anxious to clean up their 'labor balance sheet' in order to give them more flexibility in the M&A arena and it may provide some early opportunities for us."
USA320Pilot

Yo, like you, those 3 Philly reps have yet to be right about anything since the Nicolau award came out. They have been lying to you since the seniority negotiations began and are now running out of things to say. Their latest update was an embarrassment. And yet, after all the screwing up (and over) your reps have done, nobody out East (at least on this board) questions their motives and/or capabilities. Lemmings over the cliff, indeed.

Please remind me, when was the last time you predicted something correctly?

Latest posts