Amended Pass Travel Policy

I agree with the new policies

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It sure does upset me about the retirees now being boarded behind active employees, as this gives a employee who has just started and receive their pass privileges a priority over a retiree who basically gave their all for the company for many years. I know the AWA employees don't have a large concern about this, however it will effect them as they retire in the future, when a 6 month active employee who just barely knows a city code or where the bagroom is, gets on the flight and you are left behind.

It sure does upset me about the retirees now being boarded behind active employees, as this gives a employee who has just started and receive their pass privileges a priority over a retiree who basically gave their all for the company for many years.

A company that bases its survival on profit that takes care of the active employee first makes sense. The active employee has impact on maintaining profitability. We live in a dog eat dog world and there is such a thin line between maintaining profitability and tanking that any benefit to the company no matter how small must be capitalized upon. Don't get me wrong, all active employees should respect a retiree's service, but business is business in this dog eat dog world we live in.

It sure does upset me about the retirees now being boarded behind active employees, as this gives a employee who has just started and receive their pass privileges a priority over a retiree who basically gave their all for the company for many years. I know the AWA employees don't have a large concern about this, however it will effect them as they retire in the future, when a 6 month active employee who just barely knows a city code or where the bagroom is, gets on the flight and you are left behind.

Retirees are just that...RETIRED. Active employees have jobs to return home to etc. When they retire, then they will have the "TIME" to catch whatever flight they can. Not to say many under the guise of "retired" may be working other jobs, but give the active ones a break here. Most are younger, have families, and jobs to attend to and that should be priority!

Back to my original post about nondep travel. Perhaps I will make this suggestion at the very least. If the nondep is traveling with the employee, then why not allow the old rule of nondep fare (which was same as flexi fare). That to me makes at least a little sense. Oh well, just my humble opinion.

Retirees are just that...RETIRED. Active employees have jobs to return home to etc. When they retire, then they will have the "TIME" to catch whatever flight they can. Not to say many under the guise of "retired" may be working other jobs, but give the active ones a break here. Most are younger, have families, and jobs to attend to and that should be priority!
retirees gave you the opportunity to have a successful livelyhood......pay homage as due.....selfishness and disrespect have no place in society.....i'm sure you were brought up with better values to your elders.....

I think the Flexi were way too numerous for adminstrative reasons. I think they were right on with the revenue dilution. The Flexis were so numerous that people used them for reason that passes were NOT created. They often ended up in the hands of people that never even knew the employee or the employees family. I think a gate agent could really shed some light on some experiences with guest pass travelers on flexi passes that were not so favorable.

I give corporate great credit for responding relatively quickly with changes to the retiree plan. The got the feedback, they considered it and made changes...I think they are on the right track with this..and whos' to say more improvements are on the way.

All is fine except the nondependent children clause. This really is inconvenient in the fact that they have cut the amount of flexi's we get now also. This means, if we want our nondep children to be able to travel, we must give them one of our "8" flexi's for the year. (used to be we could "earn" --w perfect attendance --up to 40 flexi's in a year--24 without perfect attendance). This seems a disservice to me. However, HP has been generous in the past, and I think it's sad that we have to now come in line with the "typical" large airline mentality. This is what I feared would happen with the merger. The "hometown" airline mentality is gone. HP was "family" friendly in the past. I really do hope before it's all said and done, they reconsider the nondep clause.
I agree that taking Non Dependent status away is terrible. Heck they should have left it at any age. They said it was because not having it would generate more revenue??? How so??? Now our non dependents will pay less--they actually paid only $5 less than a flexi pass pax--when they use our buddy passes. I say we should all write about this again. It still can change!!! Non dependents could walk up to the counter and get an ID 90--minus $5.00--and get on a plane. They knew how to fly standby and were good at it. Much better than those "strangers" who used our flexis. We need to get them to rethink this--it actually generates more revenue because we'll use it for our family only and not give flexis to strangers. They will have to buy full fare tickets.

Not to fair if you ask me! I was an AWA employee for 9 years, got laid off and have now put in 6 more years and was looking forward to retiring perhaps in 4 years when I would have reached a new 10 years of service and age 50. Now even after I do reach the 10 year mark after coming back the second time I will now have to work another 5 years in order to meet the "65" rule. What a bunch of crap. You'd think those of us who got called back could at least use our previous AWA employment years to use toward out retirement calculation total time! Another AWA unfair practice to show it's employee appreciation. Thanks for nothing!

retirees gave you the opportunity to have a successful livelyhood......pay homage as due.....selfishness and disrespect have no place in society.....i'm sure you were brought up with better values to your elders.....

Whoa! Wait just a second there! I was in NO WAY being selfish or disrespectful. I was only making the statement that active employees are just that "ACTIVE" and most retirees as a whole have the time to fly more often than those of us who are active. Please, please don't accuse me of disrespecting retired employees! I in no way am that way, and if you read that into my statement, then perhaps I didn't word it correctly. Bottom line is this: we all have the "PRIVILEGE" of pass travel. Be thankful for what we have.

I do think that many US employees who commute on the east coast probably have a more difficult time getting to and from work than those HP employees have had to deal with. This, perhaps is a huge basis for the issues with US folks on pass travel. Especially the "seniority" status issues. Either way, the new company will work things out. Changes will be made, and yes, I was raised with better values, and ultimately to respect those in authority over me, including policy-makers who are making decisions above me, whether I like them or not.

A company that bases its survival on profit that takes care of the active employee first makes sense. The active employee has impact on maintaining profitability. We live in a dog eat dog world and there is such a thin line between maintaining profitability and tanking that any benefit to the company no matter how small must be capitalized upon. Don't get me wrong, all active employees should respect a retiree's service, but business is business in this dog eat dog world we live in.
I guess HP new hires or ones not close to retirement think retirees are less important that active employees. It depends on how you were raise and the life you saw your parents have. money money money,,, profitability profitability profitability....

Hopefully they will honor the language in the EO contract

"We will institute a "65 Point Plan" for active employees and any employees who have been furloughed or severed since Sept. 27, 2005, the date of the merger’s close."

Ok so i left via early out in Oct. My age + years is greater that 65. Does that mean i will convert to the 65 point plan? I guess ill have to email row23middle!

As a retiree from the old US Airways, I just figure the "screwing" goes on. No real pension, no retirement medical and now second class status on travel benefits.

treating retirees like this is very ,very rude!

for all that retirees have done for this company...this is their reward?

a disgrace! shameful!

not a proud moment in the history of this company!

revisit this decsion immediately and correct it!

do the right thing!

retirees must travel same priority as active!

retirees have earned it!

please copy and paste and email to [email protected].

· Allowing non-dependent children to travel at Flexi fares dilutes revenue (meaning they’d otherwise be buying a revenue ticket).
Effective in early ’06, non-dependent children will not be eligible; rather only dependent children under age 19 (or age 25 if they’re enrolled in college full-time and are still claimed as dependents) can travel unlimited. Those dependents travel for free.

I have already sent my question in but what about dependents that are enrolled in college/tech school/trade school only part time........because one or more of their parents are in aviation and the dependent has to work in addition to going to school.

Latest posts