American Airlines, CLT detail growth plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Banned
No one has said CLT has to match ATL, you are dreaming again.

CLT has survived as a hub through Eastern Airlines, Piedmont Airlines, US Airways and now the new American.

CLT offers a viable option in the SE instead of ATL.

No, I am not dreaming.

Someone made the statement that CLT might eclipse ATL. That is the basis of the past several pages of posts.

I have repeatedly said that US has built a viable hub at CLT. But it is still half the size of DL's hub in ATL and offers nowhere near the reach of ATL.

Add in that AA's labor costs will be higher, that CLT will be considered against with other hubs on the AA east coast system, and that growth at CLT will increase the costs of the hub just as increasing any other facility which was built at costs $20-30 years ago against current construction costs and the notion that CLT will grow dramatically is just not realistic.

the part I had posted was mentioned in an article thru www.justplanenews.com and that's why I said it.  I do know this much... CLT is a helluva better alternative to ATL.     Just admit you really don't want to see any other airport in become the next ATL  

"helluva better" might be your opinion but twice as many people choose ATL as do CLT.

If AA can grow CLT to be a real competitor to ATL, then just do it.

What you can't admit is that there is no way that ATL will ever be the same size of CLT for the very reasons that have been repeatedly noted here.

Anytime someone comes and says your city "will remain an important part of the network" it's time to start looking at the transfer list.

I'm sure the same statements were made in STL, LAS, SJC, PIT, BNA, CMH and RDU a few months before the axes really started swinging.

There is no way clt can be atl however there is no wat aa will replace MIA for clt

Clt just does not have the O&d traffic

However the constant bashing of clt is over the top

Josh is certainly bashing CLT, but Josh is an idiot... WT is right in the statements he's making about CLT.. I have a very vested interest in the future of CLT, but to think we would ever come close to ATL is never going to happen.. With expansion comes cost, Teri Pope has publicly stated that (at the time) US did not need CLT, the low cost kept them here. The company knows that costs do need to increase, there are serveral maintenance issues in CLT that need to be addressed, but if the cost were were not increased at a gradual pace, the company would look at their future here..

Anytime someone comes and says your city "will remain an important part of the network" it's time to start looking at the transfer list.

I'm sure the same statements were made in STL, LAS, SJC, PIT, BNA, CMH and RDU a few months before the axes really started swinging.
+100. The statement, "your city will remain an important part of the network" ranks right up there with "the check is in the mail" and "you may feel a slight pinch." Let's hope it will be different this time.

WorldTraveler said:
"helluva better" might be your opinion but twice as many people choose ATL as do CLT.

If AA can grow CLT to be a real competitor to ATL, then just do it.

What you can't admit is that there is no way that ATL will ever be the same size of CLT for the very reasons that have been repeatedly noted here.
Why, is CLT limited to acreage? If the Delta pilots can ride their own jumpseat, then anything is possible!

The other point lost on so many people is CLT is the most profitable hub in the AA/US network

So if you if you want to end up in bankruptcy again you reduce you most profitable flying and sub it for lower margin flying

It's basic math

jcw said:
The other point lost on so many people is CLT is the most profitable hub in the AA/US network

So if you if you want to end up in bankruptcy again you reduce you most profitable flying and sub it for lower margin flying

It's basic math

That is today-CLT fits the US low cost, low revenue model.  US' costs have now increased particularly for the pilots and F/As who had bargain basement pay rates well below the industry standard.  The terminal expansion costs will ultimately be passed onto the tenants using the facility, increasing CLT's CPE.  I'm not saying CLT will be dehubbed but you are delusional if you think they will enjoy the same level of international service as they do today.  Most of US connecting traffic came from AA hubs with US undercutting AA fares, hence the DOJ lawsuit, so now that advantage has gone away. What is with your love for CLT?

Josh

737823 said:

Ripe for domestic and regional growth, not international flying.  MIA is a far more sensible gateway. I mean seriously why would anyone want to travel through Charlotte?  Only been for meetings and I wasn't impressed.  Before the AA partnership ended I flew jetBlue and their D gates were dumpy, as is the rest of the airport. Most of the people with finance jobs in Charlotte wouldn't last in BOS or NYC, that is why they work in the laid back (and lower paid) south, which are mostly back office jobs.  The key decision makers for BofA are at 1 Federal St. Boston, and even Bryan Moynihan commutes to CLT from Wellesley.  

Josh
 None of your points have anything to do with an airline's selection of a hub.... hub.... say it slowly.... hub.  I am not saying you are entirely wrong about the long term prospects of CLT international traffic, but you haven't pointed out any reasons that are relevant. 

Let me see if I have this straight....

Delta is the second largest airline in the world and has 75% of its fleet in ATL, so Delta fans think that the new largest airline in the world must also cram 75% of their fleet into one single hub in order to be successful, like Delta?  

Whoever said an airline needs to cram 75% of its fleet into one hub in order to ensure success?  

excellent points there phoenix.    CLT will retain some INTL flying  the question is how many  and to where..   me thinks FRA and LHR  may be CDG stay long term.   But one thing is I do think CLT will see a good increase in domestic growth out of CLT  

CLT is a phenomenal hub.  It's not going anywhere.  It's the second largest and second best (out of only two) megahubs in the southeastern U.S., and that alone has major strategic value.  It's location also makes it ideal as a connecting point for people moving up and down the east coast.

Personally, I'm skeptical that CLT will continue to support the same overall frequency and level of service it has now, if for no other reason than upgauging of smaller to larger RJs necessitating reduced frequency in some shorthaul markets, coupled with just the general higher costs of the merged airline making it harder to profitably fill as much volume as lower-cost USAirways was pushing through the CLT hub.  I also doubt CLT will be able to support the level of longhaul service it currently sees - the "core" LHR/FRA/CDG/MAD markets are safe, I think, as, perhaps, is GRU just because AA is so strong in Brazil-U.S. in general.  But these smaller, weaker seasonal longhaul markets like BRU, LIS, etc. - many of which have already seen frequencies reduced before they even started?  I don't think those will last long.

But in general, I think CLT has an extremely bright future - as a massive hub for the world's largest airline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back