American Eagle flight attendants worried by merger

ContUNITEus

Veteran
May 4, 2011
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-eagle-flight-attendants-worried-221459147.html

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- The union representing American Eagle flight attendants says members are increasingly worried about their fate if the merger of American Airlines and US Airways goes through.

The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA complains that American Airlines parent AMR Corp. has outsourced some regional flying from Eagle to other carriers, and that US Airways executives asked Eagle pilots this summer to make labor-contract concessions.
"This merger may not be good for all workers," Robert Barrow, president of the Eagle flight attendants' union, which represents about 1,800 people, said Tuesday. He said Eagle flight attendants deserved to know their role after the merger.

The Eagle union official's comments came the same day that American and US Airways Group Inc. employees boarded two jets to fly to Washington and lobby for the merger. Unions representing American's pilots, flight attendants and mechanics were key early backers of the merger.

The U.S. Department of Justice sued last month to block the deal, saying it would reduce competition and boost prices. A trial is set for November. The companies said 200 to 300 union members planned to travel to Washington to lobby members of Congress and hold a rally at the Capitol.

Mark Sandlin, an American flight attendant who was waiting to fly from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport on the lobbying trip, said he was initially ambivalent about the merger but came to see it as vital to American's future success.

In April 2012, US Airways struck agreements with American's labor unions on contracts that were more generous than terms that AMR sought to impose as part of its bankruptcy restructuring. "Then the rank-and-file really started to get on board" in support of the merger, Sandlin said.

Approval of the merger is the last hurdle stopping AMR from emerging from bankruptcy protection. It filed for bankruptcy in November 2011.

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, MY DEAR AEagle EMPLOYEES. YOU'RE NOTHING AND NOBODY. ONLY REAL AA and US EMPLOYEES MATTER. YOU'RE NOT RELEVANT. THAT IS WHY Doug Parker WENT TO THEM FOR PERSUASION AND NOT YOU.

GET OVER IT... YOU'RE NOT IMPORTANT.

I'M NOT TRYING TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS. THIS IS JUST - TRYING TO GIVE IT TO YOU FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF DOUG PARKER AND THE REST OF THE EXECUTIVES - AND POSSIBLY ALL THE OTHER MAINLINE EMPLOYEES OF BOTH CARRIERS. WHILE THEY MIGHT FEEL SORRY FOR YOU, TRUST ME, THEY ARE GLAD IT'S YOU, AND NOT THEM - RIGHT NOW.

REMEMBER THAT THERE ALWAYS HAS TO BE A SACRIFICIAL LAMB - RIGHT NOW, AEagle - YOU'RE IT.

There's an alleged AA mainline pilot who registered at Flyertalk just to deliver regular beat-downs to the frequent flyer crowd, and here's what he posted yesterday about Eagle employees:
Eagle is a contract carrier those are replacement jobs and outsourced work. They know their days are numbered.
Eagle employees are just owned by the holding company, they are NOT america airlines employees. They are cheaper SCABS!

The doj has a weak case, they omitted many airlines from their flawed hhi study.

This merger will happen, if it doesn't the new AA will not survive. It will die on the vine.
One clue that he may not be an actual AA pilot is his use of "america airlines" above. Most real employees are able to type "American Airlines" correctly.

I agree that post is by a masquerader, but if I were an AE employee I would be worried and with good cause. AMR has made no secret for years of their desire to shed themselves of AE. They just couldn't find a buyer. I believe that LCC has a lot of outsourced rj flying, don't they? If that is working for DP, why would he want to change that?

DP already has the hassle of owning Piedmont and PSA Airlines. What makes us think that owning, not one, not two, but three god damn REGIONALS is a pleasure.

Now that they (the executives) [mainly those of other airlines] have flip/flopped on the subject of owning regional airlines for no good reason, and have proceeded to destroy them (Comair), sell them (ASA, Compass, etc.), and merge them (Allegheny/Piedmont), I don't see US Airways (being a big honcho) wanting to continue owning them. So anything that they can do to squash the employees of AEagle and possibly in the future again fuc& with US Express (wholly owned) employees, they will.

The AE employees chances are oviously beter with a merger than without one as AA has long talked openly about getting rid of them.

Reactions: 2 people
The AE employees chances are oviously beter with a merger than without one as AA has long talked openly about getting rid of them.

The only problem is that they can't find a buyer--even with a guaranteed flight schedule. And, I don't think they will simply shut it down and walk away. That would cost way too much.

The only problem is that they can't find a buyer--even with a guaranteed flight schedule. And, I don't think they will simply shut it down and walk away. That would cost way too much.

They had a couple serious tire kickers. However AMRs price and conditions made them walk away.

I doubt they will shut it down. What other regional has enough pilots to backfill what Eagle does today? Downsize, yes. Dissolve, I doubt.

Right now, the regionals are having a hard time hiring with the new FAA pilot hiring standards that went into effect. The hiring problems are going to cap growth for a couple of the regional, and may kill off a few others. I'm told that GLUX in particular is having a really tough time because of their pay rates, and the fact that the other airlines (including a few large regionals) are going to dangle a higher salary at them.

Where Eagle may wind up finding a buyer is in the event someone like Skywest or Republic decides that buying up all or part of a carrier like Eagle is a quick way out of their hiring problem.

Delta did it to Comair, shut them down and walked away.
OH was shrunk over a number of years... and their jets were transferred to other carriers up until the final phase of their existence. It was far smaller than AE... but it is possible that AMR could slowly transfer flying away from AE, or more likely, reward no more flying to them but reward it to other carriers.

The real issue is cost. If AE can get costs down to what AA can get from other carriers, AE will retain the flying. AA won't pay above-average rates compared to other carriers.

E is right... the new FAA requirements are going to significantly impact regional carriers, forcing up salaries, and shrinking the number of RJ flights that can be viably operated for network carriers.

US carriers are also competing with foreign carriers, esp. Asia, for pilots who can be paid as much or more to fly in Asia; Asia is not producing pilots fast enough to keep up with their rate of growth. I have been on more than one flight in Asia with an American (nationality, not airline) pilot.

Reactions: 2 people
Where Eagle may wind up finding a buyer is in the event someone like Skywest or Republic decides that buying up all or part of a carrier like Eagle is a quick way out of their hiring problem.

You must hate the poor folks at AE to even suggest Republic as a buyer. I know regional people who have worked for Republic or a Republic-owned airline. Most of them say that unemployment is not all that bad when compared to working for Republic. :lol:

This is probably a topic for a whole new thread, but...

If the FAA is increasing the requirements for new pilots at the regionals, which is causing a shortage of candidates, which is (as it should in a free market economy) pushing up the pay rates for new rj pilots, then does it not reach a point where the cost advantage/raison d'etre of regional jets goes away? For instance we have recently started (could be, resumed, but that would be before my time...9/2000) mainline flights to Lubbock and Corpus Christi. Is this cost increase in rj flying involved?

Most real employees are able to type "American Airlines" correctly.

Hahaha. True.

...Or they just type "AA"...

Delta did it to Comair, shut them down and walked away.

Death by 1000 cuts, but yeah...

Interesting theory...

Jim,

Yes, the economics of RJs are pushing some markets back to mainline.

every carrier recognizes that they need to reduce the number of 50 seat RJs (and smaller in AA's case) and AA is making significant progress in doing so as a result of BK.

AA also recognizes what DL is doing with the 717s which will put mainline service back into markets that haven't seen a mainline jet in years. Customers prefer mainline jets, service quality is often higher and better aligned with the mainline carrier, and the CASM is usually lower.

AA and DL's strength markets do not overlap near as much as US and DL's do... but it is possible that the merger will bring new mainline service, and reduced numbers of flights to a lot of markets.

However, part of the way that DL has increased the size of aircraft from ATL - and DTW will be next since it is the number 2 pilot base for the 717s for DL - is to reduce hubs at CVG and MEM.

DL is also using the 717s to increase efficiencies of its mainline staff.

I fully expect that AA and US will do the same thing as part of their merger - but some hubs will probably have to shrink for it to happen... and instead of the 717 or other 100 seat aircraft, it might be the 319.

I'm not sure how many 50 seaters US can remove from its fleet over the next few years but UA is by far in the worst position among US airlines with the size of their RJ fleet if economics and customer preference start shifting back to mainline aircraft.

Reactions: 3 people
The real issue is cost. If AE can get costs down to what AA can get from other carriers, AE will retain the flying. AA won't pay above-average rates compared to other ...

American is starting to take the flow through pilots so that should significantly reduce the amount of topped out pilots shortly. Additionally part of the bankruptcy contracts for all work groups ( possibly with the exception of the FA's, I don't know) is that in a couple years we will be indexed to the average of the two lowest paying comparable airlines out there. So American is guaranteed to be paying below average wages to its employees. Since our benefits are below average also, they have no excuse to blame any high costs on the employees.