American, US Airways to merge terminals at O'Hare Tuesday

BigMac

Veteran
Feb 19, 2008
TORNADO ALLEY
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-american-us-airways-terminals-at-ohare-20140630,0,4845952.story                          Another noticeable sign for Chicagoans of the integration of American Airlines and US Airways will come Tuesday when the airlines combine their flight departures into a single terminal at Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
Currently, US Airways operates out of Terminal 2 at O’Hare, and American operates out of Terminal 3. Beginning Tuesday, all US Airways flights will also depart from Terminal 3.
Temporarily, that means hoofing it for many US Airways customers who need ticket-counter services, such as baggage check and boarding passes. They will still check in at Terminal 2 and go through security there. Then, they must walk to their departure gates on the H concourse of Terminal 3, an estimated four-minute additional walk.
“We are working on enhanced signage and staffing to make sure this is clear to customers,” an American airlines spokeswoman said.
However, customers who don’t need ticket-counter services -- with boarding passes printed at home or located on their mobile devices and with no checked baggage -- can avoid the walk by entering through security at Terminal 3.
Later this year, US Airways’ full operations, including the ticket counters, will relocate to Terminal 3. A spokeswoman estimated that would most likely happen in the fall.

My understanding that UA (UAX actually) is getting the US gates F8 & F10 as part of the LAX swap.  Is this still the plan?

Josh

737823 said:
My understanding that UA (UAX actually) is getting the US gates F8 & F10 as part of the LAX swap.  Is this still the plan?

Josh
Probably. F6 and f12 are UAX, so it would make sense. Haven't heard anything about e7

There is no UA/AA "gate swap." They were two entirely independent transactions that happened to occur at around the same time. 

At ORD, AA was forced to divest a pair of gates.

At LAX, UA wanted to get rid of four gates and per AA's lease agreement with LAX, they had to give AA the first opportunity. 

Reactions: 1 person
Mark, I'm not so sure AA was forced to give up those gates, as much as they were offered up to make it look like they were giving up lots of valuable assets...

Those gates would have been dropped eventually with or without the DOJ settlement.

Reactions: 2 people
10606077_10205242003877817_1760903878567204406_n.jpg

robbedagain said:
As of Dec 8 2014  we will take over ramp from Envoy and ground handle AA flights  in my station
. Who is "we" and where are "we"? I assume you are USAirways.