US Airways considers switch

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
US Airways could be moving out of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky's Terminal 1 by the end of the year and into the more posh Terminal 2, thanks in part to nearly $1.3 million in new infrastructure approved Monday for Terminal 2.

The Kenton County Airport Board approved the spending to upgrade baggage conveyor belts and build and refurbish jetway passenger bridges, for Terminal 2, with the goal of allowing US Airways to move.

"We've been in discussion with them for some time about moving, and this would allow their passengers better access to upgraded concessions and more amenities," said Paul Hegedus, the airport's manager of commercial and business development.

In addition, the move would allow the airport to close Terminal 1 with the exception of the airport's administrative offices, potentially lowering operating costs.

The airport's long-term master plan, released in 2003, calls for just one terminal at the airport. Terminal 1, built 59 years ago as part of the original airport, has 17 gates, but only three are used. No time frame or cost on that consolidation was given in that plan.

A previous plan in 1994 called for the destruction of Terminals 1 and 2 and consolidation of all airlines in Terminal 3 at a cost of $800 million in 1994 dollars.

US Airways operates nine daily departures from Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, all on regional affiliates to its hubs in Philadelphia or Charlotte, N.C. It uses three gates in Terminal 1, and Hegedus said talks are under way to lower that to two gates in Terminal 2.

Officials with Tempe, Ariz.-based US Airways said late Monday that they were examining all the options. "We need to examine the options that would make the move viable for us," said airline spokeswoman Valerie Wunder.

Enquirer (Cincinnati)

Since CVG lost Mainline service many years ago, it makes little or no difference where they put the "Express" operation. Why would the folks in Tempe even be concerned with a small operation in an Express station anyway??
Prior the the CCY group taking charge, CVG was a very good Station for PI until US management killed it along with a long list of other stations. PI used to run 3 or 4 trips a day from EWR to CVG, and most were close to full a good portion of the time....Go figure... :blink:

Noooooooo! Don't change, stay at terminal 1! It is really neat walking through an old terminal, plus security is a breeze.

However, the biggest reason not to move is because of the upstairs. If you have never been to CVG, the terminal 1 has an upstairs that US use to use mainline for. However, when they switched to express, the moved downstairs. This all happened before the name change to US Airways.

The upstairs is like walking through a time machine. Nothing has changed since the good ole' "USAir" days. It is really neat. If you are ever bored, fly to CVG and check it out. I love it.

It's pretty amusing to hear Terminal 2 at CVG being referred to as "more posh," but CVG's Terminal 1 is pretty ghetto, I suppose. With Delta's current financial uncertainty, I'm surprised they're not trying to move everyone into Terminal 3, but I suppose Delta may have veto power over who uses T3.

It's pretty amusing to hear Terminal 2 at CVG being referred to as "more posh," but CVG's Terminal 1 is pretty ghetto, I suppose. With Delta's current financial uncertainty, I'm surprised they're not trying to move everyone into Terminal 3, but I suppose Delta may have veto power over who uses T3.

The outer concourse at CVG Terminal Three is Delta's built on land it leases. The inner Concourse is a combination, with the Airport retaining some power over some of those gates.