American's DFW-PEK Application in Jeopardy

This will get some of our pilots nickers in a twist. Good for AA, make it work for you, not the greedy pilots. Looks like someone just stole the bargaining leverage.

Yeah, you guys go ahead and applaud management, and rebuke the Pilots for taking a stand as management hands out millions in stock option bonuses again right after the first of the year!

Like the Pilots or not, at least they are the only group trying to get something back instead of licking management boots while uncalled for management bonuses are lining the pockets of those at the top.

That's right, screw the workers and applaud the greed!

The pilots need to work a little harder to get up on that pedestal now! This was a completely foolish move by the pilots. Not only have they nixed the new route they also have stirred up more animosity with the other work groups specially the flight attendants. Complete failure on this round. And to think they give these guys guns???!!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061208/american_ai...china.html?.v=3

"Michael Boyd, an aviation consultant who has worked recently for both American and the union, said United will probably win the competition because it would link the two capitals. Still, he faulted American for changing its plan, which highlighted tense labor-management relations.

"This one was dead in the water anyway, but everybody should have kept their mouths shut about any arguments in the cockpit," he said.

Leaders of the pilots' union have been angry at the company since early this year, when it gave bonuses to about 1,000 executives and managers, with a few topping $1 million. Pilots are still living under wage concessions they approved in 2003, when American was near bankruptcy.

Northwest asked the Transportation Department to disqualify American from the competition for making a "radical change" after the bidding deadline. United said American's new route would be "even more inconvenient" for customers."

FWIW, here's some NW spin from our employee website this afternoon (bold and italics are by me):

NWA Statement on American's Amended China Service Proposal

"As a result of its announcement Friday afternoon, American Airlines effectively removed itself from consideration in the U.S.-China proceeding. American’s decision to “amend†its application and fly nonstop from Chicago instead of Dallas is a whole new proposal, submitted long after the due date, and violates the Department of Transportation’s carrier selection process. Of the remaining applicants, Northwest’s Detroit-Shanghai nonstop proposal is far and away the superior choice. Northwest would offer 108 U.S. cities new single connection service to China – more than twice as many cities as Continental at Newark or United at Washington/Dulles. Northwest’s Detroit proposal will benefit over 210,000 passengers in the first year – again, more than any other applicant.

The choice for new nonstop service at Detroit is clear. China Eastern begins nonstop New York-Shanghai service, effective Dec. 9, and United, with more flights to China than any other U.S. carrier, could easily offer Beijing service from Dulles instead of Chicago if it wanted to."

I "need to get out more", but to be completely HONEST......"I LIVE FOR THIS "$HIT" :up: :up: :up:

But first, one "Item" at a time.

YA, the pilots probably KILLED an (original) weak application to begin with, BUT truth be told, APA has my vote for NOT KISSING Arpey A$$(like chicken Little would have)

Secondly, the BIGGEST story of the day(I think) was the NW story. ......NO, not the one about NW asking the DOT to kill AA's China bid, ....But the NW story that NW is Actively soliciting $$Bankers to come to their aid.

It certainly looks like NW will emerge from BK very soon, WITH BIG money backers, which to me would mean, NW has "NO" intention of losing control of their destiny !

Now lets go back to AA for a second.

With a (hypothetical) NW no longer available for a "possible" NW/AA "deal", AND AA losing out on the soon to be announced China route(Which they were NOT (probably) going to get Anyway, and CFO-Horton, yesterday saying AA will at least "consider" M/A, ....I now ask the question(which I asked months ago)......"HOW DOES AA GET INTO CHINA" ????????

Ya, I'm sure Former moderAAtor will pop up here soon to tell us AA will stand pat, while the USA International scene(think Asia) "Passes us by"

The ONLY, and I mean ONLY worldwide empty piece on AA world wide puzzle IS...CHINA, ...So I ask again,...."How does AA get into CHINA" ??????????

NH/BB's

DFW-PEK was in jeopardy the day it was filed. Had they done it right and filed via ORD to begin with, then they'd probably have a stronger chance. I still don't see UA getting anything more than a backup authority and/or the ability to transfer existing frequencies to IAD-PEK.

As for the merger games, I never said AA will stand pat, G. My impression is that Arpey isn't interested in playing, and that AA would be better off by standing on the sidelines.

That doesn't mean AA won't jump into the frey and drive up the price for someone else, though. They'd be foolish not to make it more expensive for the competition.

What's stranger than not commenting on NWA's plea to bankers is that Horton finally came out and mentioned starting the MD80 fleet renewal in an interview, and nobody's mentioned it because they're pre-occupied with China and the latest land grab by the SkyGods. DL is selling 737-800's. AA operates 737-800's. Any chance that the fleet renewal is starting with ex-DL aircraft rather than new Boeing orders?

DFW-PEK was in jeopardy the day it was filed. Had they done it right and filed via ORD to begin with, then they'd probably have a stronger chance. I still don't see UA getting anything more than a backup authority and/or the ability to transfer existing frequencies to IAD-PEK.

As for the merger games, I never said AA will stand pat, G. My impression is that Arpey isn't interested in playing, and that AA would be better off by standing on the sidelines.

That doesn't mean AA won't jump into the frey and drive up the price for someone else, though. They'd be foolish not to make it more expensive for the competition.

What's stranger than not commenting on NWA's plea to bankers is that Horton finally came out and mentioned starting the MD80 fleet renewal in an interview, and nobody's mentioned it because they're pre-occupied with China and the latest land grab by the SkyGods. DL is selling 737-800's. AA operates 737-800's. Any chance that the fleet renewal is starting with ex-DL aircraft rather than new Boeing orders?

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

FM,
ABSOLUTELY I equate "spare" 737-800's with AA !!

And YES(again), By all means. drive the "cost" up on the competition.(An old "uncle" BOBBY trick).

BUT,

HOW does AA get into CHINA ??

CHINA, the "white HOT" place in the world, that EVERY legacy NEEDS to get into, and NOT ALL will !!

It's a VERY important question, that needs answering !!

NH/BB's

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nor'Easta,

Frankly, once it's official that AA does NOT get the award, I agree with you.

"Mathmatically" there IS no other way !

Also, on the DL board, I forget the topic at the moment,(tonite) There was a post that said, that Goldman Sachs felt that there was a 50/50 chance that DL, AND NW WOULD be bought out, WHILE they both were still in BK.

Obviously, that prediction is NOT etched in stone, and NW is STILL in BK, though they are searching for a $$$ "SUGAR DADDY".

Back to the "math" (very few remaining possibilities to get to ASIA), for a moment. There IS no other way to get into china, short of "making a move" on NW, while they're still in BK, (for a short time) !!!!!

Obviously, AA and UAL are'nt gonna' "jump into the hay together".

NH/BB's

Yeah, you guys go ahead and applaud management, and rebuke the Pilots for taking a stand as management hands out millions in stock option bonuses again right after the first of the year!

Like the Pilots or not, at least they are the only group trying to get something back instead of licking management boots while uncalled for management bonuses are lining the pockets of those at the top.

That's right, screw the workers and applaud the greed!

DITTO
:D

Latest posts