American's DFW-PEK Application in Jeopardy

Had they done it right and filed via ORD to begin with, then they'd probably have a stronger chance.

So much for that vaunted PLI...

Although they will still harvest millions in performance bonus dollars.

While 787 delivery slots slip farther and farther into the future.

While 737 delivery slots slip farther and farther into the future.

While the brain trust is debating closing half of the new terminal complex at Kennedy.

While the service levels on the front lines of the operation continue to disintegrate.

While all employee groups are urged to work harder, longer for less, with less.

While growth stagnates.

The list could go on, but we've all seen enough of managment stepping on their collective cranks while wearing golf shoes.F@cking up the PEK application is just the latest...

The chances were limited to begin with, This change may reduce those chance's further. Although people at HDQ far more in the know, seem to think its a wise decision to alter the application for one reason or another.

I have to say NWA's response come from a carrier who feels they are in last place to get an additional frequency. No one else seems threatened by this change.

I am just wondering why the mighty TWU doesn't just call on all their political friends and AFL-CIO political machine and tell them to influence approval in favor of AA?

Afterall, the TWU is affiliated with the AFL-CIO and so we are all safe from misguided politicians....right Bill?

The chances were limited to begin with, This change may reduce those chance's further. Although people at HDQ far more in the know, seem to think its a wise decision to alter the application for one reason or another.

I have to say NWA's response come from a carrier who feels they are in last place to get an additional frequency. No one else seems threatened by this change.

Any aviation analyst or consultant would have told you AA had the best chance (and they did, and were the favourite, although not by much). They blew it. Meanwhile, their international expansion is limited to a new flight to Valencia, which is all good and dandy, but pathetic. I am quite disgusted at the way AA has been acting lately. They are falling waaay waaay behind. We might hear some good news on 18 June 2007, though. Keep your fingers crossed.

Lets see,

Blowing of a good shot at a China route

787 slots "slipping away"

AND

Over $6 Billion with a "B" cash on hand,
Hmmm,
THIS has a certain "Minnesota" ring to it :shock:
NH/BB's

We don't need to buy another airline to obtain those things.

Arpey,Richardi and the rest of the 'performance leadership' cadre in Dallas have no idea how badly things have decayed out here in the real world.

Why buy another airline in order to lay off its people,ground its planes and hack its hubs to pieces.
Pass.

I'd rather see organic expansion with S80 replacement orders and 787 orders.Although apparently when the word expansion comes up in DFW it is only for American Eagle.

Whether one thinks the APA is a greedy bunch of whiners or one thinks they are the saviors of Western civilization for standing up to evil management...

You have to ask yourself, exactly what did they accomplish? They got NOTHING from their demands and they killed the China bid at the same time--which would have meant some more left seat positions available--AND, they have given the company cover for loss of the China route.

A triple play! Way to go, guys!

Do the AA FA's have trip cancellation pay protection for things like diverts after takeoff, mechanical cancellations after returning to the gate?

"Michael Boyd, an aviation consultant who has worked recently for both American and the union, said United will probably win the competition because it would link the two capitals. Still, he faulted American for changing its plan, which highlighted tense labor-management relations.
I'm still surprised he thinks UA will win.

Do the AA FA's have trip cancellation pay protection for things like diverts after takeoff, mechanical cancellations after returning to the gate?

Don't I just wish! As a general rule, we are only pay protected from cancellations, etc in the last 7 days of the month, AND we have to put ourselves on makeup and accept whatever crew scheduling offers. So in reality, you are pay protected (in the sense I think you mean) if crew scheduling has nothing to offer.

There are some other special cases--such as losing your entire line due to a schedule change (has never happened in my vast career of 5 years)--but even there, it's not pay protection in the sense I think you mean it.

In the case of a "return to gate" cancellation, we have to call crew scheduling who may release us and we get the minimum 5 hours for that day. Or, crew scheduling may require the f/as to sit standby at the airport. In any case, if it was the beginning of a 3-day trip, you lose the time from the next two days. You can put yourself on the makeup list, but at my seniority I would never get called.

The makeup list is worked in descending seniority order, and there are those senior f/as who drop all their trips and park on makeup all month long just in case something turns up that they really want to fly. The Blessed Order of the Perpetually-Trip Removed (aka APFA) was trumpeting their "solution" to the problem that now prevents someone from putting themselves on makeup for more than the next 5 days at a time. All their solution means is that the makeup list squatters just have to sign on 6 times a month now to put themselves on the list instead of once a month as in the past.

Don't I just wish! As a general rule, we are only pay protected from cancellations, etc in the last 7 days of the month, AND we have to put ourselves on makeup and accept whatever crew scheduling offers.

To be protected the entire trip has to be canceled or you need to be removed from the entire trip. It's kind of tricky and the key is putting yourself on the makeup list whether you are legal to fly or not. Its up to you whether or not you want to answer the phone.

Don't I just wish! As a general rule, we are only pay protected from cancellations, etc in the last 7 days of the month, AND we have to put ourselves on makeup and accept whatever crew scheduling offers.

Thanks to John WAArd's concessions we're only protected for the last 5 days of the month. The MU trip can't be greater in time or more days in duration then your trip that was cancelled.

I'm still surprised he thinks UA will win.

Boyd lives outside Denver. Perhaps he's tainted a bit by the home team advantage.

Then again, Boyd is the village idiot of consultants (a step above Chip Munn and Vaugn Cordle) and anything he says usually reflects what one of his consulting gigs is at the moment.

We don't need to buy another airline to obtain those things.

Arpey,Richardi and the rest of the 'performance leadership' cadre in Dallas have no idea how badly things have decayed out here in the real world.

Why buy another airline in order to lay off its people,ground its planes and hack its hubs to pieces.
Pass.

I'd rather see organic expansion with S80 replacement orders and 787 orders.Although apparently when the word expansion comes up in DFW it is only for American Eagle.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I rarely take an opposing view, on your posts LGA, but this will be one of those times.

Potentially "Digesting" a whole of NW, would'nt be an easy thing, ...BUT...the LAST THING/position I would want to see AA in, would be a (hypothetical) UA/DL (UA outbids US), and a NW/CO, CONTROLLING a "Hammer Lock" on Asia/china, while AA stands on the sideline "spanking their beef" !!

(remember UA,NW, and DL ALL come out of BK "squeeky $$$ clean")(A BIG plus) !

Riding around in the FIRST 787's, asian routes up the "ying yang", and DTW-MSP cutting each others THROATS to please $$ AA, is a scenario...."not too tough to take".

NH/BB's

Back