American's DFW-PEK Application in Jeopardy

Sorry, sir, but if you take off the blinders for a moment, CO's application has been the favorite all along, followed by a tie between UA's IAD-PEK and AA's DFW-PEK.

This has pretty much assured UA of getting the second authority, leaving AA to hope for a backup award.

I don't have any blinders on. AA has always been the favorite, although not by much over CO. I think AA and CO had just as equal a shot.

PSSST. your union did screw another work group to further it's own elitest ideas... ever hear of TWA flight attendants... Tell your story walkin'.

Thank you for your honesty. This fact is the first concrete idea to come out of the banter between you and IORFA.

Is it final though?

Nothing's final except for death. Objections can be filed to the DOT tentative order, but when's the last time objections caused the DOT to change its mind?

In any event, AA pulled its application, so the only interested airlines still in the running to object are CO and NW.

As far as AMR is concerned, yes. They requested that their application be withdrawn without prejudice if they couldn't amend it for the ORD stopover/crew change.

Withdrawl was smart -- had they left it in place, any arguments DOT used against selecting it over the other applications would simply resurface in following route proceedings.

American Airlines on Tuesday expressed disappointment with a Department of Transportation decision to reject its request to amend its application to offer nonstop service from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport to Beijing, China, to allow a stop in Chicago. Earlier Tuesday, the DOT tentatively awarded United Airlines the right to fly a daily new route between the U.S. and China, rejecting applications from rival airlines.

"Our application would have brought new service to an underserved area of the country and offered enhanced competition in the ever-growing China marketplace," said Will Ris, AMR's senior vice president of government affairs, in a statement. Fort Worth, Texas-based AMR said it will reapply for service to China when the U.S. government is ready "to consider granting additional frequencies."

When is the next opportunity to apply?

AA DESERVED to get *UCKED !!

AA should have told APA, "forget preferential J/S priority, and ANYTHING else. We will give APA the MONEY only"

Therefore the application could have stayed DFW/PEK/DFW, and AA would have had a GOOD shot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Yep. Cave in to the skygods. That's the ticket....

Mikey, to answer your first question, there are another seven frequencies available in 2008:

After the completion of this proceeding, the next set of additional rights established under the protocol become available on March 25, 2008. These rights include seven frequencies for combiiiation services, 15 frequencies for all-cargo services. seven combination or all-cargo frequencies limited to service to points in China Zone 2 and one designation for a combination or all-cargo carrier. We will address that designation and other future opportunities for service in the U.S.-China market in subsequent proceedings.

As defined by the amended agreement, China Zone 1 consists of Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou.

China Zone 2 consists of Anhui, Fujian, Giiangdong (except Guangzhou), Hebei, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Shandong, Shanxi, Tianjin, and Zhejiang.

The incumbent combination carriers are Northwest Airlines, Inc., United Air Lines, Inc., Continental Airlines, Inc., and American Airlines, Inc.

The incumbent all-cargo carriers are Northwest Airlines, Inc., Federal Express Corporation, United Parcel Service Co., and Polar Air Cargo, Inc.

As for what to do next time, stick with ORD-PEK, and also throw in a proposal to fly into Zone 2.

Don't worry, Bears - the announcement of the impending buyout of NWA should help soothe the wounds of not winning this one. :p

On a related note: The DOT order mentions several times the greater pax capacity of the UAL 747s over the CO 777s; given the weight accorded to size of airplane by the DOT, is it possible for a 777-only airline (like AA, CO and DL) to ever win another allocation of scarce frequencies or will 747-capable UAL and NWA win the rest of them from now on?

I don't see how NW will ever win another one, the way the DOT ripped them for trying DTW-China nonstop and failing, twice. There are a lot of markets higher on the totem pole for the DOT to approve. That takes their 744s out of the running. UA will probably apply for SFO-CAN again next time. (Their other options would seem to be LAX-PEK/PVG or IAD-PVG, but I don't think those would be as strong.) I'd be surprised if UA wins again next year, so the only options are 777-only carriers (unless AA has purchased NW).

ATL-PEK/PVG vs. EWR-PVG vs. ORD-PEK

I don't see how NW will ever win another one, the way the DOT ripped them for trying DTW-China nonstop and failing, twice. There are a lot of markets higher on the totem pole for the DOT to approve. That takes their 744s out of the running. UA will probably apply for SFO-CAN again next time. (Their other options would seem to be LAX-PEK/PVG or IAD-PVG, but I don't think those would be as strong.) I'd be surprised if UA wins again next year, so the only options are 777-only carriers (unless AA has purchased NW).

ATL-PEK/PVG vs. EWR-PVG vs. ORD-PEK
<_< ---- God no! Not that!!!

THE SKY GODS HAVE SPOKEN.................THEY ARE NOT WILLING TO POSSIBLY WORK ONCE IN A WHILE 20 MINUTES MORE THAN THEIR CONTRACT STATES..............WE ALL MUST PAY FOR THEIR ARROGANCE!!!
THAT IS WHY EVERYTIME I AM CALLED TO FIX THE SKY GODS AIRPLANE I TAKE AN EXTRA 20 MINUTES OF THEIR TIME AND HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE WHILE THEY WAIT FOR ME TO SIGN THE AIRCRAFT OFF.

Former ModerAAtor says; "Yep, cave into the sky Gods"

In this case FM, "YES", only IF AA got THIS particuliar award.

Bottom line;
1. these awards, are far and few between.
2. "This" would'nt have "broke the bank" on AA, AND "YOU" know, HDQ, (down the road) would have re-couped this "cave-in" 3 FOLD !!!!!!!!!

Never "$hit a $hitter", the ol' saying goes !!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

Back