AMR CEO says 'not threatened' by mergers

MERV

Advanced
Oct 29, 2009
JFK Aiport NYC
The CEO of American Airlines says his company isn't threatened by reported merger discussions among other airlines.
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/04/08/business-industrials-us-american-airlines-mergers_7500186.html?partner=alerts

Of course he's not "threatened" by a merger....if the rest of the industry is consolidating, then AA just has to find the "right" partner....
And I am pretty sure that AA always has contigency plans and do have another carrier or carriers in mind for a little more than just an interline agreement.

Of course he's not "threatened" by a merger....if the rest of the industry is consolidating, then AA just has to find the "right" partner....
And I am pretty sure that AA always has contigency plans and do have another carrier or carriers in mind for a little more than just an interline agreement.
I agree, if the others merge AA will buy Jet Blue. Then they can use all the debt they aquire as the next boo factor to tell the workers they cant expect anything.
Once again the banks will be saved off the backs of workers.

I agree, if the others merge AA will buy Jet Blue. Then they can use all the debt they aquire as the next boo factor to tell the workers they cant expect anything.
Once again the banks will be saved off the backs of workers.

I would love to know what kind of pills ya'll take over there. AA/JBLU NY presence would be much like UA/US DC presence, in other words, way too much and not gonna happen without divestures to other airlines. IF AA and JBLU were to merge they would have to give up nearly all of the JBLU flying, and I seriously doubt that would happen. It seems as if you guys might just have to enjoy the 3 spot for awhile.

I would love to know what kind of pills ya'll take over there. AA/JBLU NY presence would be much like UA/US DC presence, in other words, way too much and not gonna happen without divestures to other airlines. IF AA and JBLU were to merge they would have to give up nearly all of the JBLU flying, and I seriously doubt that would happen. It seems as if you guys might just have to enjoy the 3 spot for awhile.
Like Crandall said .... It's not the size of the airline, It's how profitable the airline is...
We'll be just happy taking the #3 spot and being the strongest.

The writing is on the wall.. AA is going to buy JetBlue. Not today and maybe not tomorrow but it will happen and best of all no senority issues to speak of... How glam is that.....

Like Crandall said .... It's not the size of the airline, It's how profitable the airline is...
We'll be just happy taking the #3 spot and being the strongest.

The writing is on the wall.. AA is going to buy JetBlue. Not today and maybe not tomorrow but it will happen and best of all no senority issues to speak of... How glam is that.....

Wow, its amazing how much inside info. you have. I'm envious. AA may not be in existence in a few years, much less buying a corporation. Lets get back to reality. I know it hurts that AA hasnt been the center of attention for awhile, but you are so off base it not even funny.

Wow, its amazing how much inside info. you have. I'm envious. AA may not be in existence in a few years, much less buying a corporation. Lets get back to reality. I know it hurts that AA hasnt been the center of attention for awhile, but you are so off base it not even funny.
Okaaaaayyyyyy ..... Where is AA going ? Let me guess, UAL is going to buy AA ???

If I were running AA, I wouldn't be threatened by all these mergers, either. This ain't the 80s, when mergers occurred to grow the network into new regions. Where does AA not go? Only the trans-Pacific routes come to mind. Between DL and UA (and to a lesser extent CO), the Pacific is sewn up. There's nobody to acquire there, and no more mergers that will be threatening there either.

Merging to reduce capacity is a fine thing for the legacy airlines as a group, but I'd want to be the airline not merging. Why? Mergers are messy and expensive to implement, especially on the scale we're seeing now. If the goal of merging is to swallow some other airline and quietly dismantle it, why not let someone else take on the expense? I'd get the same benefits (capacity reduction) for free.

Yeah, if I were at AA I'd love to watch the dismantling of US and/or CO by UA. Especially if it's CO. UA and US continue to struggle, but CO's mighty profitable for a legacy carrier. One fewer of those would do AA a world of good.

I would certainly hope AA would not buy Jet Blue. It would be sad to see another good airline destroyed.

That little ole federal law might have something to say about that...

Maark767 is referring to the fact that AA probably hasn't hired but a few represented employees since the day B6 hired its first employee, so nearly every B6 employee is junior to the most junior AA employee. In this case, date of hire is the same as a staple. Would the Bond law require slotting to be "fair and equitable" or would DOH be sufficient? Probably unsettled at this point.

Maark767 is referring to the fact that AA probably hasn't hired but a few represented employees since the day B6 hired its first employee, so nearly every B6 employee is junior to the most junior AA employee. In this case, date of hire is the same as a staple. Would the Bond law require slotting to be "fair and equitable" or would DOH be sufficient? Probably unsettled at this point.
I was wondering the same thing. I really dont know but the name of the game these days is "DOH" .
Plus ,how could you make someone more senior than they really are??? What if they received a senority date of say 1989 and in 1989 they were in high school. I would bet DOH would be applicable but starnger things have happened.

I would certainly hope AA would not buy Jet Blue. It would be sad to see another good airline destroyed.
JetBlue is a profitable airline with a low cost structure and junior employees. Plus NY is a money maker for AA. I see only growth opportunities.

Like the presence Delta got at JFK and LGA when they bought up Pan Am? Or the presence Continental has over at Newark since they bought up Peoples Express?

Divestatures? Not a problem, what happened to all the slots Air Cal, Reno and TWA had? Is AA holding on to all of them? AMR has a lot of experience when it comes to divestures. They buy em up and then dislove what they bought.

Sure there are a lot of other factors, incompatible fleet, Lufthansa etc etc but strange things happen in this industry and there are still too many players.

Spot 3, spot 10, I could really care less, my only concern is what spot we have when it comes to pay.

Back