Aal Nwa Merger? Forbes Magazine

Wretched Wrench

Veteran
Apr 21, 2003

http://www.forbes.com/2005/08/16/airlines-...16airlines.html

" Executives at American Airlines parent AMR have no desire to jump into the merger game, given the carrier's disastrous merger with TWA, which it purchased and liquidated. The experience was a major blow to the egos of American Airlines management and workers, many of whom lost their jobs.

But if Continental and United threaten to merge, the landscape could be so altered that American would have no choice but to rethink its position. Despite Northwest's thorny labor problems, the carrier brings a prize that American covets: routes to the Far East. So far, American has had to expend considerable effort to build those routes itself.

Other possible combinations with American that our experts mentioned include Alaska Air Group. American could also be interested in select United assets, such as Asia-Pacific routes, should UAL have to raise cash. "

This time my vote is "FOR" Dovetailing, and an election!

Why? Because these guys fought for the profession and raised the wage.

This will not happen, at least, not in the traditional merger sense. AA may attempt to buy NWA Asian assets out of bankruptcy, but we wouldn't want their planes or their people or their hubs.

Had NW not demanded close to $100/sh in 2000 when Carty was looking to buy NW, TWA would never have happened.

Now that NW is under $5/sh, now might be the time. Lotsa lucrative China frequencies, the NRT operation, and some hubs to be closed down (at least MSP and MEM).

Bob Owens said:

[post="288754"][/post]​

I agree. But before we do anything let's get the list of dead people that the twu will insist on using for any representational election.

I doubt a merger would happen. Not saying it couldn't but I doubt it.

You can vote for dovetailing and an election, but that won't happen either. TULSA holds the cards, plain and simple.

If AA were to consider a hookup with NWA, it will be after a strike and/or bankruptcy where the number of NWA mechanics would be halved.

You think morale is at an all time low now?

Wait!

Bob Owens said:

[post="288754"][/post]​
<_< Bob, if you dovetailed them, you'de have to dovetail all!!!If they were, I'de be the first one in line to fill a discrimination lawsuit against either Union, or Company, or both!!!!!And yes, they deserve to be dovetailed! But so did we!!!!!I'm sorry, but as you see, even though we may agree on most points, we do have our differances!!!!I guess that's as it should be! :down: Signed: "Just anotherone of aa's redheaded stepchildren!"

I doubt AMR is interested in any merger/purchase transaction that includes union contract baggage. Just as with TWA, they would make sure that annoying little things like mandatory seniority awards or scope clauses were signed away as part of the deal.

Ask yourself...given a choice do you think any of the union leaders today would choose your seniority over a steady stream of union dues?

jimntx said:
I doubt AMR is interested in any merger/purchase transaction that includes union contract baggage.  Just as with TWA, they would make sure that annoying little things like mandatory seniority awards or scope clauses were signed away as part of the deal.

Ask yourself...given a choice do you think any of the union leaders today would choose your seniority over a steady stream of union dues?
[post="288879"][/post]​
<_< I tend to agree, AMR would rather pick up the routes, etc. in BK,(Chapt.7) not as a merger/purchase.

I agree with LGA Fleet Service.

Alternatively, the current market cap of NW is just over $400 million. Perhaps buy the company then throw it into Ch 11. Dump most employees, dump many airplanes, dump liabilities, etc. End result sorta like TWA part deux.

FWAAA said:
I agree with LGA Fleet Service.

Alternatively, the current market cap of NW is just over $400 million. Perhaps buy the company then throw it into Ch 11. Dump most employees, dump many airplanes, dump liabilities, etc. End result sorta like TWA part deux.
[post="288918"][/post]​
<_< Damn People your cold!!!!! These are people's lifes here!!! Fighting over the scrapes before the the body has even been pronounced dead!!! No wonder aa is know as the "SKY NAZIS"!!!!! You've got the ovens turned on, just waiting for NW to stop twiching before you throw them in!!!!! :angry: Signed: "One of those TWA part deux!!"

MCI transplant said:
<_< Damn People your cold!!!!! These are people's lifes here!!! Fighting over the scrapes before the the body has even been pronounced dead!!! No wonder aa is know as the "SKY NAZIS"!!!!! You've got the ovens turned on, just waiting for NW to stop twiching before you throw them in!!!!! :angry: Signed: "One of those TWA part deux!!"
[post="288928"][/post]​

no you were part uno!

Latest posts