Amt Wages And Benefits

goingboeing said:
My original posting was really more about factors outside the airline business that are having a profound effect on the wages and benefits of AMT's. This really should not have turned into a AMFA vs TWU debate although I would vote for AMFA if given the choice.
Back to topic:

What factors outside of airline business effect wages and benifits of AMTs?

Well its not really outside the business, but the company USAirways is using to outsource has about 1 A&P to 2 non certifed mechanics. Why pay an A&P when you dont need one to work on the planes? what kind of leverage are the workers at that company ever gonna have when 2/3 of the workforce can be replaced by anybody?

sentrido said:
Well its not really outside the business, but the company USAirways is using to outsource has about 1 A&P to 2 non certifed mechanics. Why pay an A&P when you dont need one to work on the planes? what kind of leverage are the workers at that company ever gonna have when 2/3 of the workforce can be replaced by anybody?
I understand what you are saying. However we must remember that American has their OSM mechanics that start at about $9.00 an hour.

What rates does this company pay these mechanics?

Buck said:
Back to topic:

What factors outside of airline business effect wages and benifits of AMTs?
3rd party maintenance fixes airplanes whereas airlines fly airplanes and fix them.
Every mom and pop County Vo-Tech is flooding the market with A&P's willing to work for less wages.
These are a couple of examples of outside forces that exert pressure our wages and benefits.

Buck said:
I understand what you are saying. However we must remember that American has their OSM mechanics that start at about $9.00 an hour.

What rates does this company pay these mechanics?
I saw an add for $9(unlicenced) but I cant find it now. Whats an OSM?

sentrido said:
I saw an add for $9(unlicenced) but I cant find it now. Whats an OSM?

It is a permanent B-scale that the Industry Leading Concessionary Union- the TWU developed along with American Airlines to lower mechanics wages.

Staying on original topic here, and away from TWU/AMFA food fight.

There was a recent magazine article about A&P pay throughout the entire industry. In a nut shell overall pay is down $1.00/hour. Even for corporate mechanics. About 10,000 mechanics currently laid off.

Supply and demand will continue to put downward pressure on our compensation throughout all segments of aviation maintenance & manufacturing.

There are other trades (manual/technical) that pay more and if you are young enough, should be evaluated. Staying in aviation nowadays requires "love of airplanes" and full acknowledgement that one is paying for this "love." :(

fix_airplanes said:
Staying on original topic here, and away from TWU/AMFA food fight.

There was a recent magazine article about A&P pay throughout the entire industry. In a nut shell overall pay is down $1.00/hour. Even for corporate mechanics. About 10,000 mechanics currently laid off.

Supply and demand will continue to put downward pressure on our compensation throughout all segments of aviation maintenance & manufacturing.

There are other trades (manual/technical) that pay more and if you are young enough, should be evaluated. Staying in aviation nowadays requires "love of airplanes" and full acknowledgement that one is paying for this "love." :(
The definition of an OSM is on topic. An OSM was designed to work items that use to be worked by fully paid mechanics until the current Representative conceded these positions to the company. The original name was SRP, shop repair person. The very first group consisted of many employees who never had any intent on working on aircraft or any of its components. The Guards at Tulsa for example, They were allowed to transfer tot this positions with a $5000 bonus when the current Representative conceded their positions. Ladies from the Credit Union and Administration. Any way to gain a dues payer.

During the latest concessionary negotiations the current Representative allowed for the reduction in force of the mechanic craft and class and many of the fully paid mechanics moved into these OSM positions and lost $5.00 an hour plus their 17.5% in wages.

In a nut shell overall pay is down $1.00/hour.

Yes except at American Airlines where the difference in having a OSM classification or a permanent B-scale is alive and kicking. This concession has allowed the industry to pay the mechanics across the system much lower rates of pay.

The current Representative will tell you that they saved over 10,000 jobs, but the truth is that the current Representative bought the jobs through concessions.

Yes supply and demand will be a key factor, but as long as the current Representative continues to suppress wages through concessionary negotiations the A&P mechanic will begin to look at other ways to provide the compensation he or she needs.