An idea....

JonC

Advanced
Sep 9, 2002
As one of those TPA people somewhat effected by this weeks' debacle, I have a suggestion.
I think we all, regardless of our like or dislike of Dave's reorganization scheme, can agree that what happened in TPA was completly out of line. For those out of the loop, here is the facts.
1. The company as of last week was promising that the hangar was to remain open. They even lied to the airport director and told him that it wasn't going to be closed.
2. When the computer started showing TPA's jobs disappearing, the company again lied and claimed it was a computer glitch.
3. With no warning, days before a huge holiday and exactly a month before Christmas, the company corporate stormtroopers march in and close the place down. Union employees are given their two weeks to bump, management fared worse - many of them were fired on the spot.
4. Corporate communication was terrible. Those who were on their weekend, recieved ABSOLUTELY NO NOTICE from the company! People showed up at work to only be met by a foreman and told to come back next Monday to get their stuff. As often the case, we heard bad news first on CNN (or in TPA's case Bay News 9).
The company needs to respect its workforce, regardless of its financial situation. Telling the mechanics a month ago or even two weeks ago, about the hangar closing, would have been the correct way to handle the
situation. Telling everyone to get out in the middle of the night just screams disrespect. It lacked any sensitivity and decency and I think we can all agree to that.
True, it was the mechanics. But it could be any of you next week. Imaging coming to work, to see the TV crews parked outside the door and being met by a corporate security thug telling you to go to the breakroom, now. Then being told to get your belongings and get off the property immediately. You now have three days to decide to move a 1,000 miles or to get laid off.
I'd like to suggest that employees this coming Sunday, whether non-reving or working wear their corporate pin with a black ribbon. When managemnt asks why, tell them. Perhaps you should all drop Dave a note this week, not an email but a real letter telling him that he needs to treat his employees with respect and a little dignity - we are more than airplanes to be parked in the desert. At least an apology to the TPA employees might be a start.
In order for an idea like this to work, it needs a lot of cooperation. We have three days to pull it together and I know that we have people from every division of the company reading this board. Pass the word along, let your coworkers know.
This is a peaceful, non-disruptive way to let our leadership know that tactics like this are unacceptable. If you're closing a facility, treat the people that work there like adults, not like prisoners. They deserve to know what is being discussed about their fate.
Walking the Green Mile towards furlough,
Jon C., TPA Maintenance Planner

JonC...

I agree wholeheartedly. I will do my part, even though I am not working Sunday (I get furloughed tomorrow night), I am writing Dave on this one. Dave says he is committed to changing the management-labor culture of this company, but what they did in TPA is right out of the old management playbook. If Dave wants to change the corporate culture, then this did not come from him directly, and he will promptly show the door to those that let it go down this way. Closing the TPA Hangar is one thing, but the way they did it was completely uncalled for. I recommend reading Gordon Bethune's book, From Worst to First. Gordon talks about closing LAX mainentance and the GSO hub. He went out himself to break the news. That is leadership, he was willing to take the hit himself, face to face.

[EM]did you notice lately 'good ol dave' has been absent for quite some time.where have been the commitment oftimely communications-i intend to promise to you that i will keep the lines of communication open...i intend to change our culture....yeah i see now....you weren't bsing... steve wolfe must be keeping him in line.....mission accomplished.....secretary will disavow any knowlege,especially CARNAL KNOWLEGE...like we are getting now![/EM]
6.gif']

First off Jon, from a fellow TPA employee my thoughts are with you guys. I know quite a few of you guys from nonreving and buying tickets. Sorry to see the hangar and you guys go.[BR][BR]I will do my part on Sun and will provide the black ribbon for any other TPA agents who wish to participate.[BR][BR]We are having Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow from 12n-6pm at the gate agents break room for all US employees in TPA and crews coming thru. All of you guys are welcome to come out and partake.[BR][BR]Tad

Delldude...
I was wondering the exact same thing....
back in may we were barraged by paperwork, memos,
letters from Dave.

What is the story now?

Also I think the reason they lock the mechanics
out is due to fear of tool theft or vandalism to
aircraft.

A few bad people spoil it for the entire group.
I definately agree people should be treated with
more respect.. You can protect your property and yet
be decent about these things.

My sympathy to all in Tampa and Orlando. The workers
at usairways are the best.

[H5][FONT face=Comic Sans MS]what would jesus do?anyone who can transcend space and time wouldn't be worried about buying an airplane ticket or purchasing a car.and sooner or later,depending on priorities in our world...he'd have to look exjetgirl in the eye and have a nice long talk.[/FONT][/H5]

did you notice lately 'good ol dave' has been absent for quite some time.where have been the commitment oftimely communications-i intend to promise to you that i will keep the lines of communication open...i intend to change our culture....yeah i see now....you weren't bsing... steve wolfe must be keeping him in line.....mission accomplished.....secretary will disavow any knowlege,especially CARNAL KNOWLEGE...like we are getting now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote Dave an email just yesterday telling him my personal situation which I will only say is not an easy one, my family and I have had way more than our share of bad luck in this life. Getting furloughed will make life very difficult to say the least for my family because of major medical concerns, not to even mention financial concerns. I wrote Dave about this, not pleading for my job, but to simply state to him how his decisions affect REAL live breathing people. I wanted him to truly understand what a job loss means to a guy like myself. I wanted him to hear from one of those causalities of corporate America, and the resulting life alternating consequences it brings, which are not pleasant. Dave did indeed write me back. He simply stated what he stated in the road shows and told me he was truly sorry.

Here is Dave‘s response:

I am truly sorry that you are being furloughed.

My choice is not between 33,000 employees and 30,000 employees. It is
between 30,000 and 0.

We are doing what we can the preserve jobs and pensions and still be in
business. Hopefully, we can recall you one day.

So, I give the man credit for answering my thoughts on what is happening to all of us.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/29/2002 11:15:56 AM cavalier wrote:

did you notice lately 'good ol dave' has been absent for quite some time.where have been the commitment of"timely communications"-i intend to promise to you that i will keep the lines of communication open...i intend to change our culture....yeah i see now....you weren't bsing... steve wolfe must be keeping him in line.....mission accomplished.....secretary will disavow any knowlege,especially CARNAL KNOWLEGE...like we are getting now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote Dave an email just yesterday telling him my personal situation which I will only say is not an easy one, my family and I have had way more than our share of bad luck in this life. Getting furloughed will make life very difficult to say the least for my family because of major medical concerns, not to even mention financial concerns. I wrote Dave about this, not pleading for my job, but to simply state to him how his decisions affect REAL live breathing people. I wanted him to truly understand what a job loss means to a guy like myself. I wanted him to hear from one of those causalities of corporate America, and the resulting life alternating consequences it brings, which are not pleasant. Dave did indeed write me back. He simply stated what he stated in the road shows and told me he was truly sorry.

Here is Dave‘s response:

"I am truly sorry that you are being furloughed."

"My choice is not between 33,000 employees and 30,000 employees. It is
between 30,000 and 0."

"We are doing what we can the preserve jobs and pensions and still be in
business. Hopefully, we can recall you one day."

So, I give the man credit for answering my thoughts on what is happening to all of us.

----------------
[/blockquote]
I still stand firm in saying Dave and company has about the same amount of backbone of a Jellyfish in the fashion that they treated the TPA & MCO employees!!