Any info on fall schedule changes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

verhalen2003

Aug 20, 2002
Would appreciate if anyone who knows would post information about the fall schedule changes, especially as it affects SJC. AA has been slloooww to make known what schedules will be affected.
Thanx

Eoleson,

You seem to be a knowledgeable guy... what's your take on AA's mid-long term future at SJC. Is it going to a) become just another outstation, B) stay the same as today, or c) see some restoration of the short haul direct service it used to have (maybe as Eagle). I know this is sort of trying to predict the future, which no one can do... but as an SJC based AA FF this causes me a lot of concern.

At MIA:

Summer Seasonal Reductions:
The following markets will each loose one daily flight (unless noted). The additional services in these markets were summer-only services added this June and July...

Belize City
Bridgetown
Hartford
San Pedro Sula (4x a week)
Tegucigalpa

Hopefully the summer flights were succsesful and will return next year.

Fall Reductions:
The following markets will loose a daily flight each. This is normal for the fall schedule:

Boston (04Sep-15Dec)
Denver (04Sep-15Dec)
Los Angeles (04Sep-01Nov; from 5x daily to 30x a week)
San Francisco (04Sep-31Oct)

Permanent Reductions:
LaGuardia and Santo Domingo are each loosing one daily with no signs of them returning (the MIA-LGA flight is moving next door to FLL).

Permanent Increases:
Medellin goes daily 02Oct, Rio de Janeiro goes double-daily 15Dec

Seasonal Service:
Second daily to Heathrow 29Oct, Saturday to Vail/Eagle 15Dec.

New Service Routes:
Punta Cana starts 01Nov, daily 757

Rumours:
Alaska starts MIA-SEA 21Nov02. It would not surprise me to see AA metal put on that route too. I know American Airlines remains very, very dedicated to Miami, but the fact remains that they do little domestic-wise at MIA and I would like to see them expand upon it. MCI would be a nice addition.

If Alaska starts service on the 737 to Miami. It will be all the rage, Oh how wonderful. If AA ran a 737 on the same route MIA-SEA, There would be endless discussion on the horrors of having to be on a plane that size. With a flying time of 6 hours.

verhalen - AA is interested in having a West Coast hub that can accomodate both north-south activity as well as Pacific service. Given that the Bay Area is positioned well for this type of flying and SFO does not have the same prospects for expansion as SJC, I think you're in pretty good shape for the long term. When things pick up for us again on the West Coast, whether it be through an economic rebound or the bumblings of UA, you can expect that much of our expansion will involve SJC.

----------------
On 8/22/2002 8:39:58 PM

If Alaska starts service on the 737 to Miami. It will be all the rage, Oh how wonderful. If AA ran a 737 on the same route MIA-SEA, There would be endless discussion on the horrors of having to be on a plane that size. With a flying time of 6 hours.
----------------

The AS flight is on a 120 passenger 737-700. Quite a long haul! Not that bad, though. Air Canada's MIA-YVR is on 108 passenger A319 (though it switches to a widebody 767-300ER on 21 December). If AA started MIA-SEA, though, I think it would be on a 757-200. The demand is there for both flights, though AA may have the weak end with yield. However, at the same time, of America's 100 most expensive routes (based on walk-up fare), MIA-SEA comes in at 99, but that was when half of those MIA-SEA passengers needed to go to Tokyo.

Fact remains that it is a far cry from the past, but the 737-800s offer oppurtunities that other aircraft don't. MIA-SAN, for example, is a market that I feel the 738 could work very well on. As long as LAX and SFO are still getting the 767s and 777s, it's all good. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.