Anyone Know How Song Is Doing?

deltaflyboy

Oct 19, 2002
PBI
www.usaviation.com
The Song flights are doing great...passengers are filling the planes up! As with mainline and other airlines there are some flights on some days that were less full then others - but overall it appears that Song is a great product the that the passengers are enjoying and continuing to use.

Looks like most of the Song flights between JFK and PBI are running with very few customers? Anyone hear how things are going?

----------------
On 5/3/2003 6:32:03 PM deltaflyboy wrote:

The Song flights are doing great...passengers are filling the planes up! As with mainline and other airlines there are some flights on some days that were less full then others - but overall it appears that Song is a great product the that the passengers are enjoying and continuing to use.

Sounds alittle like a report from the Iraqi Information Minister......sorry..just kidding.....although you would think the Song website would have posted some complimentary letters in their comliments section of their website by now. No results in an Epinions search. A Google search for Song Airine reviews comes up blank.
It''s still pretty early in the game for them though....

----------------​

Yet another brainwashed "deltiod"...how silly u sound...maybe u should take a reality check and look at the loads...They are horrible......Guess it will be song sung BLUE!!!!

Like I said earlier there are some flights on some days that are not as full as others, but there is not an airline out there that does not have those days...overall the numbers are:

9may - friday
jfk-mco = 90.9% LF (Delta Express - 183seat capacity aircraft)
mco-jfk = 72.9% LF (Delta Express)
pbi-jfk = 60.5% LF
jfk-pbi = 74.8% LF

10may - saturday
jfk-mco = 84.1% LF - 1st day of song flights from MCO
mco-jfk = 79.5% LF - this is estimate as last flight has not boarded so I am
going by the reserved seats.
pbi-jfk = 47.9% LF
jfk-pbi = 32.9% LF

11may - sunday bookings
jfk-mco = 58.4% LF
mco-jfk = 84.9% LF
pbi-jfk = 89.9% LF
jfk-pbi = 37.9% LF

12may - monday bookings
jfk-mco = 52.6% LF
mco-jfk = 68.2% LF
pbi-jfk = 70.8% LF
jfk-pbi = 51.2% LF

BTW - I am not a brainwashed Deltoid - if you want to dispute facts that is fine, but attacking me personally is not something that I will respond to...

Yes - loads could be better, but then if the loads were perfect then so many of my coworkers (from Delta and other airlines) would not be on furlough!! One thing to remember is that Song is replacing and improving on the Delta Express product...They are not flying new routes - yet!

----------------
On 5/3/2003 6:32:03 PM deltaflyboy wrote:

----------------​

Flashback time: "The Metrojet flights are doing great...." "The Continental Lite flights are doing great..."

Good to see that DL employees so readily drink corporate Kool-aid as well

Ok, now that we have heard from the peanut gallery, lets take a moment to here some comments from someone who actually works for Song.

I am not going to sit here and say that Song is going to take over the world and beat Jetblue to oblivion, but I will make some educated comments, unlike the false ignorant assumptions I have heard on these boards.
First of all it is not fare to look at the loads yet and say that Song is doing poorly, I work in the operation every day at JFK and I can tell you first hand that we are pretty busy. We just added Orlando on May 10 and previous to that we only had 2 flights to PBI. It is important to realize however that effective APRIL 1 2003 Song employees (ex-delta) took over the operations of the Delta express flights and the DLX flights are transitioning to Song flights. The Song load factors are from reservations made months ago, when these flights were delta express, so if they are low, its because no one wanted to fly Delta.
Second most people don''t know that they are flying on Song, we are in the process of contacting DLX passengers to let them know that they are flying on Song, but since we have not launched our marketing campaign (it will be launched in the summer of 2003) most people still don''t know what Song is, but that all changes when they fly with us, even when they fly on DLX the Song employees are extremely friendly, motivated, helpful and we have a sense of humor, yes an x-delta agent can have a sense of humor and an x-delta flight attendant can be friendly. Even without the TV''s installed, passenger love our aircraft and our terminals. Yes I have heard nasty comments, some people don''t like being treated like a human, and they will go back to Delta and American, but the bulk of the passengers that we encounter love flying with us, they are treated with respect, they are given choices, they enjoy the comfort of our seats and they still get low fares.
I am not going to be naive and say that Song will last forever, but I will say that Song is not like Metrojet and COlite or even like Delta express, we are more than just a mainline planes with the first class cabin ripped out. These other low fare subs failed because they focused more on cutting costs, than serving the customer. Song places tons of emphasis on customer service, something Delta did not even do, so comparing Song to metrojet and COLITE is like comparing target to k-mart they are not the same thing.
I don''t know if Song will be the next failed attempt to form a low fare sub, but one thing is for sure. Delta realized that 30% of its revenue came from northeast to Florida and they realized that they were losing money competing with jetblue so they decided to do make an attempt to start saying money. Yeah people are going to say it wont work, but I think that if anyone can make this airline work delta can, and I have faith that Song will be successful.

PLANES333

Thank you for your insight. I saw the loads to PBI and was very suprised. Seemed very low to me. I can not believe the marketing campaign will not begin until later this summer. Seems like a mistake to me. I have yet to fly Song, but I think Song will do fine for a while, simply off to a slow start. Although I am surprised with some of the routes announced. Especially Orlando - San Juan. Seems like it could be profitable, but where is the focus of this airline? Wish you the best.

The marketing campaign will not begin until Summer because the IFE system will not be functional until this Fall. The focus and target is quite clear to me - "Leisure Market." I think this is a great a bold attempt by Delta Air Lines. As one of the previous posters mentioned this is not to be compared to the Co Lite''s, MetroJets, or Delta Expresses of the past. The focus for Song is entirely different - customer service followed by lower cost structure not the other way around.

At the Phoenix airline symposium earlier this month, Delta executives said what many had been thinking, i.e., that Song is a guinea pig for Delta mainline. They will use Song to test different concepts and ideas. Assuming all goes well, they will keep the best of what works and throw out what doesn''t. And assuming passengers take to the new airline, Song will eventually become Delta mainline - DOMESTIC, supplemented by a large RJ contingent.

This, unfortunately for the employees, cuts two ways. You will have a job at a thriving company, but at much lower wages and benefits. The only group that will be protected will be the pilots because of their union. Everyone else who can''t maintain a job at Delta will take cuts to work for Song or be shown the door.

I do not wish to start a war here regarding unions. I am not particularly fond of them personally, even though I am a member of one - NOT in the airline industry. But occasionally they serve a good purpose. In this instance it is easy for Delta to ramp up Song because they have no unions to deal with other than ALPA, and they bought them off quickly

You are missing the point. The ideas will be tested on Song and possibly implemented on Mainline flights. Doesn''t mean the loss of anything other than first class and long turn times on certain flights. There are some standards that are necessary for the survival of the Delta product. I can''t imagine a passenger connecting in Atlanta from LAX to FRA and the culture shock they would encounter if they connected from a Song flight to a Delta flight. I am sure there will be some brand consistency.

I agree somewhat, but to think the pilots will fly Song without competitive pay is not accurate.They will eventually have to join the rest of the employees and bring their pay and benefits down to a competitive level..