Anyone know the acceptance rate for the recall?

IORFA

Veteran
Feb 7, 2003
Yesterday, 8-2-11, was the deadline for the recall acceptance for the 100 recalls returning 10-1-11. Mark probably knows. If anyone knows, I am interested if the rate is still extremely high. I think after this recall we are down to around 220 left. Anyone else think they will be back in the Dec to Apr 2012 time frame? Unless attrition really picks up or AA offers some type of early out, I think AA's grand plan to hire 1400 F/A's next year will be cut in half or more. I just keep thinking that well over 90% of us F/A's are at the top of the pay scale. An incentive to leave and a massive hiring plan would really lower F/A costs.

Yesterday, 8-2-11, was the deadline for the recall acceptance for the 100 recalls returning 10-1-11. Mark probably knows. If anyone knows, I am interested if the rate is still extremely high. I think after this recall we are down to around 220 left. Anyone else think they will be back in the Dec to Apr 2012 time frame? Unless attrition really picks up or AA offers some type of early out, I think AA's grand plan to hire 1400 F/A's next year will be cut in half or more. I just keep thinking that well over 90% of us F/A's are at the top of the pay scale. An incentive to leave and a massive hiring plan would really lower F/A costs.

Everyone is at 10 year pay and higher now. Even if AA tries to do a buyout, they wont take it. The compAAny will not hire anyone until there's a ratified contract. They don't want to hire newbies under the current contract. If they do, all will get a pension plan like us. I will already be voting NO once we get a TA. I have heard about a few things that have been signed off and will not agree to them.

Everyone is at 10 year pay and higher now. Even if AA tries to do a buyout, they wont take it. The compAAny will not hire anyone until there's a ratified contract. They don't want to hire newbies under the current contract. If they do, all will get a pension plan like us. I will already be voting NO once we get a TA. I have heard about a few things that have been signed off and will not agree to them.

Very smart let's not even bring a TA and say no.
At this rate it will be another 5 years for a new contract.
Forget about new hires. Things are becoming very fluid
Don't be surprise to see forlough in the near future.

Except that AA has already said they plan on hiring next year, just waiting for the next years flying to be finalized in the fall/winter to know how many. It was either in a weekly hotline or an answer to a jetnet Q&A. Also, people would leave if offered money to do it. You can count on myself and a friend. There, you have 2. Does that help? Also, I can count 29 people on first year pay, so not quite everyone is at 10 years or higher. The whole thing about no hiring till a new contract is bunk. If they need people, they will hire them. AA can't control everything. Nothing says that anyone will vote for a TA, myself included. So, back to the original question. I take it since you ranted about other stuff that the 2 of you don't have acess to the recall numbers?

I am interested if the rate is still extremely high.
I don't have precise figures but I think it's well into the 80's. I'll check around.

An incentive to leave and a massive hiring plan would really lower F/A costs.
I know the company is insisting on a 401k for newhires and I agree it's a good thing. If I were young and just starting out I'd prefer it. You don't have to wait until you're vested, it's completely portable, and isn't subject to being watered down down the road by a new contract, other than the rate of company contribution.

I would not be surprised to see some sort of retirement incentive. I don't think it will be a huge amount, and I don't think massive retirements will result, but even six to eight hundred would help and justify some fairly heavy hiring next year.

The number of aircraft coming in is far more than simple replacement of S80's. There has to be growth, or a cutback on orders, and I don't see that happening.

MK

Not everyone is at 10 year pay and higher. There's a small group of us, I'd say about 60 F/A's (give or take a few), that are currently in our FIFTH YEAR pay scale due to being furloughed three times since 2001. That's why my blood boils every time I hear people spewing about our high labor costs and low productivity or that I'm a brick in a backpack. We are really struggling financially. I'm flying over 100 hours every month just to make ends meet. Three reserve months every year really hit hard and reverse any financial progress made. I'd say in the overall picture I'm a pretty cost effective and productive employee for AA.

As far as a new contract, I have no intention of voting "yes" for any contract that doesn't include retro pay........Period!

I'd say in the overall picture I'm a pretty cost effective and productive employee for AA.

As far as a new contract, I have no intention of voting "yes" for any contract that doesn't include retro pay........Period!
There just aren't enough AA FAs that work at your level of productivity for your level of pay...which is why talking about labor costs from an aggregate (group) perspective can be accurate.... there are also plenty of topped out employees at other airlines, too; they just happen to have lots of younger people too.

The number of aircraft coming in is far more than simple replacement of S80's. There has to be growth, or a cutback on orders, and I don't see that happening.

MK
And, that is the company's out if they choose to "rethink" the AB purchases. The pilots' contract requires that pay rates be established prior to any new equipment being brought online. New equipment meaning "never flown by AA before." They can bring all the 737s online they want, but ABs or the 787, etc are not allowed without pay rates being set. Pilots do not intend to agree to any pay rate changes unless the deal includes a whole ratifiable contract.

There's certainly nothing posted on the Flight Service website. I thought the base assignments for the recalls would be posted by now since the latest round of regular/domestic mutual transfers has been pulled. Maybe they are waiting to see how many of the transfers are accepted.

According to the recall information on the APFA website. The letter AA mailed the recalls says that base assignments will not be communicated BEFORE August 18, 2011.

The base assignments list for the July recall only shows 70 names. There are 72 names on the list, but two of them have an X in the spot where their relative position (on the base assignment list) should be. I think that means that they accepted recall, but then changed their minds.

The original recall numbers were 266 for July and 100 for October according to the information I found on the APFA website. So, the acceptance rate is not all that high.

Out of how many?

I would assume that the numbers were for the original 200 that were offered recall for the hiring of Chinese speakers. They were split into 100 for July and 100 for October. Around 220 are left on the recall list after this latest recall.

Latest posts