Approved Electronic Devices - GPS?

Fran Clark

Dec 10, 2005
Hi;
I'm a private pilot. In my current job I fly commercially twice a week. (Most often Continental and USAir) Is a handheld aviation GPS an "Approved Electronic Device" i.e can I use it in flight? BTW where can I obtain a list of "Approved Electronic Devices" and does it vary by airline. Thanks a lot

Fran Clark

I would also agree "it is not an approved device". Most of the time if you look in the Airlines on board magazine it will tell you what is approved. :)

Hi;
I'm a private pilot. In my current job I fly commercially twice a week. (Most often Continental and USAir) Is a handheld aviation GPS an "Approved Electronic Device" i.e can I use it in flight? BTW where can I obtain a list of "Approved Electronic Devices" and does it vary by airline. Thanks a lot

Fran Clark

No, it is not an approved device.

Probably interferes with navigation as the newer planes are using GPS.

Gentlemen, here is your final answer(straight from the F/A Energency Manaual). "Prohibited from use:Satellite receivers:including global positioning systems(GPS), XM Radio,Sirius Radio, etc." That comes from Rev. 42(which is the latest revision) of the F/A Emerg. Manual. That should clear it up for you guys.

Gentlemen, here is your final answer(straight from the F/A Energency Manaual). "Prohibited from use:Satellite receivers:including global positioning systems(GPS), XM Radio,Sirius Radio, etc." That comes from Rev. 42(which is the latest revision) of the F/A Emerg. Manual. That should clear it up for you guys.
can you post a link or cut and paste the complete info. Thanks

Back