Approved Electronic Devices - GPS?

Fran Clark

Dec 10, 2005
Hi;
I'm a private pilot. In my current job I fly commercially twice a week. (Most often Continental and USAir) Is a handheld aviation GPS an "Approved Electronic Device" i.e can I use it in flight? BTW where can I obtain a list of "Approved Electronic Devices" and does it vary by airline. Thanks a lot

Fran Clark

I would also agree "it is not an approved device". Most of the time if you look in the Airlines on board magazine it will tell you what is approved. :)

Hi;
I'm a private pilot. In my current job I fly commercially twice a week. (Most often Continental and USAir) Is a handheld aviation GPS an "Approved Electronic Device" i.e can I use it in flight? BTW where can I obtain a list of "Approved Electronic Devices" and does it vary by airline. Thanks a lot

Fran Clark

No, it is not an approved device.

Probably interferes with navigation as the newer planes are using GPS.

According to our F.O.M. (Flight Operations Manual) GPS is under the list as not approved.

Gentlemen, here is your final answer(straight from the F/A Energency Manaual). "Prohibited from use:Satellite receivers:including global positioning systems(GPS), XM Radio,Sirius Radio, etc." That comes from Rev. 42(which is the latest revision) of the F/A Emerg. Manual. That should clear it up for you guys.

Gentlemen, here is your final answer(straight from the F/A Energency Manaual). "Prohibited from use:Satellite receivers:including global positioning systems(GPS), XM Radio,Sirius Radio, etc." That comes from Rev. 42(which is the latest revision) of the F/A Emerg. Manual. That should clear it up for you guys.
can you post a link or cut and paste the complete info. Thanks

Back