Article: AA labor relationations deteriorating

FWflyer

Aug 26, 2003
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Sat, Jan. 21, 2006

Executive bonuses test labor relations

By TREBOR BANSTETTER
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

American Airlines' much-heralded cooperation between labor and management is quickly deteriorating amid an ongoing furor over a slate of management bonuses, union officials said Friday.

Board members of American's pilots union met with Gerard Arpey, the airline's chief executive, Friday morning, and warned him that the company's labor relations have soured substantially since the bonuses were detailed this month.

"For two years, we've worked to have a new relationship with management, then this came along, and it seems like everything has been undone," said Sam Mayer, president of the New York chapter of the Allied Pilots Association. "People are walking around muttering, 'They fooled us again.'"

The complete article is here.

Seems to me that Arpey isn't going to back down, given that union leaders knew about this two years ago. Funny that they're just complaining now ...

There are supposed to be early openers on the contract this year, this was a great tactical move by aa mgmt. As if people wern't agitated enough. I don't begrudge mgmt "payouts", it's the total lack of preception that I don't understand.

There are supposed to be early openers on the contract this year, this was a great tactical move by aa mgmt. As if people wern't agitated enough. I don't begrudge mgmt "payouts", it's the total lack of preception that I don't understand.

The article is funny because labor's relationship with AA had already deteriorated in 2003. The only people that thought that it was better were the heads of the 3 unions.

There's rumor that Tommie (APFA pres) wants to open the contract talks early. Since contract talks take so long it would seem like a good idea. However, knowing how AA works I wouldn't be too quick to start negotiations. Whatever values they throw on the table initially seem to be the ones we end up with and I'd rather we started out when AMR is doing a lot better than it is now.

The article is funny because labor's relationship with AA had already deteriorated in 2003. The only people that thought that it was better were the heads of the 3 unions.
There's rumor that Tommie (APFA pres) wants to open the contract talks early. Since contract talks take so long it would seem like a good idea. However, knowing how AA works I wouldn't be too quick to start negotiations. Whatever values they throw on the table initially seem to be the ones we end up with and I'd rather we started out when AMR is doing a lot better than it is now.

That is a fact! Rank and File members are not as cozy or trusting with AA Management as the so-called Union Leaders, and this includes Local Union Leadership not just the three heads of the snake.

The majority of members I work around have not been so quick to trust the "new plan". Anyone that has been at AA for 17+ years has seen this before. IT once was called QWL, and before that PAC, this stood for Quality of Work Life and Participative Action Circles.

Everytime AA puts the screws to the union, they start one of these touchy feely programs, and everytime, it turns out to be a hoax.

How many times must union leadership be hoodwinked before they learn not to play?

Well if the heads of these unions are serious they should threaten to strike on April 19, then there wont be any bonuses because the stock would tank. Look how much its gone down already.

Well if the heads of these unions are serious they should threaten to strike on April 19, then there wont be any bonuses because the stock would tank. Look how much its gone down already.

Mgmt isn't stupid enough to allow that. They'll play nice nice and stroke the union heads into another false sense of reality.

They timed their bonuses to be right after the preliminary 1st quarter results are released. How much does anyone want to bet that if we aren't in the black by then they will overproject what our losses are supposed to be so that we beat expectations and the stock price falsely inflates once again?

Mgmt isn't stupid enough to allow that. They'll play nice nice and stroke the union heads into another false sense of reality.

They timed their bonuses to be right after the preliminary 1st quarter results are released. How much does anyone want to bet that if we aren't in the black by then they will overproject what our losses are supposed to be so that we beat expectations and the stock price falsely inflates once again?

NO! Management doesnt do such things.
Everything they are involved in is honest and on the up and up! B)

Oh, please. The timing of the stock awards is the same as it has been since 1988 -- right after the board meeting.

The last comment isn't even worth the electricity on our monitors to convert the pixels from white to black... Anyone who would dare overestimate losses just to beat expectations would be toying with an SEC investigation and possible prison time in our post-Enron disclosure world.

Plus, the analysts who make the estimates do their own research without taking the company's word for it, so whatever is released in EagleEye would be independently validated by Lehman, Merrill, USB, etc. before any one of those firms would publish a research note giving their clients guidance.

I think all three unions should call for a work SAFE program for the week leading up to the bonus pay out!! Yes a full week of all departments working togather to promote a safe work environment. What do you think following all of AA rules would do to the on time machine and also the stock value?
I would gladly give back my measly stock grant to stop upper management from looting our money looseing airline!!!
PULL TO GATHER WIN TOGATHER??????????
We are pulling and they are winning!!!

I think all three unions should call for a work SAFE program for the week leading up to the bonus pay out!! Yes a full week of all departments working togather to promote a safe work environment. What do you think following all of AA rules would do to the on time machine and also the stock value?
I would gladly give back my measly stock grant to stop upper management from looting our money looseing airline!!!

But, but, such action would make it unlikely that we would get the AIP bonus of $25! Don't you get it yet? We get $25, they get $70 million.

Satire of course

There's rumor that Tommie (APFA pres) wants to open the contract talks early.

The early openers are beginning in May 2006. But, since we have a mAAnagement a$$ kissing union President, don't expect much. :angry:

Pull together, work to rule together? Sounds like a plan.

Oh, please. The timing of the stock awards is the same as it has been since 1988 -- right after the board meeting.

The last comment isn't even worth the electricity on our monitors to convert the pixels from white to black... Anyone who would dare overestimate losses just to beat expectations would be toying with an SEC investigation and possible prison time in our post-Enron disclosure world.

Plus, the analysts who make the estimates do their own research without taking the company's word for it, so whatever is released in EagleEye would be independently validated by Lehman, Merrill, USB, etc. before any one of those firms would publish a research note giving their clients guidance.

I guess I am just a little too cynical and jaded. I don't trust company officers or analysts.

Enron is only news because they got caught.

I guess I am just a little too cynical and jaded. I don't trust company officers or analysts.

Enron is only news because they got caught.
And the only real reason they made a big deal about Enron is because the stock became worthless and a lot of rich people lost money. They focused on the employees losing their pension because thats something that would strike a chord with most people however we see people losing pensions and health benifits all the time but the corporate press does not make that much of a fuss about it.

The scandals continue, and our unions do nothing to protect us.

Recently it has been reported that the Republican Dominated Government is making it harder for the elderly to protect their assetts from Medicaid. Having successfully waged a propaganda campaign to eliminate the Inheritance tax (aka "Death Tax")which only kicked in well into the seven figure mark and affected very few people, they are making sure that those who are less fortunate, who dont have millions, have nothing to pass on. http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Colleg...nts/P140370.asp

These bonuses, despite losses, are just another example of the arrogance of the upper class towards everyone else. The saddest part is that our so called "union leaders" aspire to be and act like them, instead of looking out for us.