Pilot Suspended for sticker

I am not a big union guy, but I sympathize with AA capt.
The AA executive package is bonkers while AA employees have gotten a huge shaft over the past few years.
I am surprised AA doesn't have higher turn-over.
There probably is a higher turn over in Fleet service and Gate agents, but as for mechanics, here in TUL you need about a 96 senoirity date to keep a job, don't know what the pilots date would be. But keeping that in mind we now have at least 11 years invested in AA, personally I've got over 22 and I'm not about to let that go down the drain.

FM didnt want to bother looking up the FAR violation because he knew that he made a fool out of himself with his rediculous exaggerations. He comes here pretending to be a neutral outside observer when its clear that he is a management shill. The fact is the company over reacted. the FAA saw no infraction worthy of action and the pilot will likely get back pay in arbitration.

Once again, with a heavy hand , management screwed up.
]
Ah, it just wouldn't be a Monday without more ad hominum crap from Bob....

You're the career safety professional. If you can show me proof that slapping bumper stickers on the fuselage is permitted, I'll concede the point that it is a ridiculous exaggeration. But we're also talking about the same FAA who says it's OK to be a commercial pilot one day before your 60th birthday, it's not OK the following day. Yet it's still OK to continue to fly business jets. And, up until 1999, it was still OK for a 65 year old pilot to fly an RJ under Part 135, but he couldn't fly under Part 121.

So forgive me for not considering common sense to apply when it comes to FAR's. There hasn't been common sense thinking in Washington for at least fifty years....

BTW, UAL811 didn't lose its cargo door due to corrosion. It lost the door due to defects in the door locking mechanism which permitted the door to open in-flight. Don't believe me??

]

You're the career safety professional. If you can show me proof that slapping bumper stickers on the fuselage is permitted, I'll concede the point that it is a ridiculous exaggeration.

This is America where we can do as we like unless there is something that says otherwise. You made the statement that he could lose his tickets over it, not me.
So forgive me for not considering common sense to apply when it comes to FAR's. There hasn't been common sense thinking in Washington for at least fifty years....

Well at least not the last 7.

BTW, UAL811 didn't lose its cargo door due to corrosion. It lost the door due to defects in the door locking mechanism which permitted the door to open in-flight. Don't believe me??

Ok, I stand corrected on a detail, faulty maintenance on the part of UAL and Boeing was still the cause,, funny you had the time to look for that but not the time to look for any proof to back up your statement about the pilot putting his tickets at risk. Hmmmm.

Didn't need to look up the UAL811 information -- that was from memory (aside from the PDF link).

Didn't need to look up the UAL811 information -- that was from memory (aside from the PDF link).

Did you base that remark about the pilot putting his tickets at risk on memory or did you simply make it up? Are you going to produce evidence backing up your claim that the pilot put his tickets at risk? Your demand that I produce "proof" that he didnt is absurd, like I said freedoms are assumed unless there is something in writing stating otherwise.

From what I've read the company actually reported the incident to the FAA and the FAA saw no infraction. I also have a message from someone who went to the FAA directly and asked if any FARs were violated and they said No.

Whatever, Bob. I said in theory he could have put his ticket at risk. Pilots have been fined for a lot less, and one pilot had his certificate revoked because he didn't provide a map to the FAA on how to find his farm in Oklahoma, which had a rural route address instead of a named street address (he won it back after appealing to an administrative law judge). So, if you think the FAA exercises absolute reason when deciding what is and isn't actionable, great. That hasn't been my experience in dealing with fines and the mitigation process.

I have to say, when you get a hair up your ass, you throw on the blinders and refuse to look 5 degrees left or right of what you think is center.

So, I'm done arguing over something this meaningless. You're absolutely right that there's nothing in writing that prohibits someone from putting bumper stickers on a commercial airliner.

Feel better?

Whatever, Bob. I said in theory he could have put his ticket at risk. Pilots have been fined for a lot less, and one pilot had his certificate revoked because he didn't provide a map to the FAA on how to find his farm in Oklahoma, which had a rural route address instead of a named street address (he won it back after appealing to an administrative law judge). So, if you think the FAA exercises absolute reason when deciding what is and isn't actionable, great. That hasn't been my experience in dealing with fines and the mitigation process.

I have to say, when you get a hair up your ass, you throw on the blinders and refuse to look 5 degrees left or right of what you think is center.

So, I'm done arguing over something this meaningless. You're absolutely right that there's nothing in writing that prohibits someone from putting bumper stickers on a commercial airliner.

Feel better?

Yea, I do!

Feel better?

What happened to Bob Hoover back in the early 90's is a good example of the FAA not using reason.

< http://ct-divorce.com/hoover2.htm >

What's funny even after his ticket was reinstated the FAA still sticks to the party line.

< http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical...s_jj/bobhoover/ >