Pilot Suspended for sticker

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Pilot suspended over jet sticker
By TREBOR BANSTETTER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

An American Airlines pilot has been docked a month of pay -- worth about $12,000 -- for pasting a small sticker on his MD-80 aircraft that was critical of executive bonuses at the airline.

The pilot, who is based at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, had placed the sticker on the exterior of the airplane in May, over a logo for American's "oneworld" airline alliance. According to officials with American's pilots' union, he was frustrated by comments made by Jeff Brundage, the company's vice president of human resources.

After an investigation, the Fort Worth-based airline recently decided to suspend the pilot without pay for 30 days.

"We think that this punishment is extreme," said Michael Leone, an American pilot who is vice-chairman of the D/FW chapter of the Allied Pilots Association.

"No reasonable person would even consider placing such a financial hardship on one of our pilots and their families" for a minor infraction of company policy, Leone told union members in a memo. "The punishment clearly does not fit the crime."

Sue Gordon, an American spokeswoman, said the carrier typically does not comment on individual employee matters. But she said American followed its normal procedures in the case.

"We're simply following the steps that are outlined in our collective-bargaining agreement," she said.

The sticker was a violation of Federal Aviation Administration rules, according to the airline.

It was unclear which comments from Brundage upset the pilot. But many employees were angry when Brundage told the Star-Telegram that "if they want to make what executives make, then they need to become executives." Those comments came after pilots had marched at the airline's headquarters.

According to the union, the pilot apologized to airline management and said it would not happen again.

"But that wasn't good enough for management in this outfit," Leone said in his memo, and added that he believed the airline is making an example of the pilot to quell criticism.

The case is the latest flare-up between American's management and its employees over the bonuses, which paid about $160 million in company stock to about 800 top executives and managers in April. Employees have complained that they continue to work under reduced wages and benefits while executives enjoy the lucrative bonuses.

Hundreds of American employees marched at the company's headquarters and at airports nationwide in April to protest the bonuses.

It was unclear exactly what the sticker said, but American employees have sported stickers and patches at union events that read "PUP OFF" and "PUP YOU." That refers to the "performance unit plan," the original name of the executive bonus plan.

The union has asked members to donate to a fund on behalf of the pilot and so far has raised $1,100.

Last week, AMR Corp., American's parent, reported a $317 million profit in the second quarter. Its shares (ticker: AMR) closed at $28.59 per share, up 7.4 percent, in trading Monday.

What would be the punishment (by the FAA and/or by AA) if a passenger applied a sticky decal to the exterior of an MD-80 near the boarding door?

Dissent is one thing. Defacing an aircraft exterior is quite another thing.

What would be the punishment (by the FAA and/or by AA) if a passenger applied a sticky decal to the exterior of an MD-80 near the boarding door?

Dissent is one thing. Defacing an aircraft exterior is quite another thing.

Defacing? It was a sticker,placed on another sticker, probably less adhesive than the hundreds of Security stickers that are placed all over the exterior, sometimes obliterating the reflective markings around the doors.

If it was an American Flag or a yellow ribbon in support of the troops do you think that anything would have been said? The fact is passengers "deface" the aircraft all the time, I've never heard of any airline doing anything about it.

About he same as leaving dirty diapers or needles in the magazine holders, or writing profanities on tray tables, window shades, lav doors---NONE. ;)

Defacing? It was a sticker,placed on another sticker, probably less adhesive than the hundreds of Security stickers that are placed all over the exterior, sometimes obliterating the reflective markings around the doors.

So, it's ok to ignore some FAR's and follow others?

The fact of the matter is that the security stickers (or any decal for that matter) have to be FAA approved, and this one wasn't.

The punishment is a little harsh, but he did knowingly violate a FAR and was caught.

Had an inspector caught it, in theory, the guy could have lost his license.

So, it's ok to ignore some FAR's and follow others?

The fact of the matter is that the security stickers (or any decal for that matter) have to be FAA approved, and this one wasn't.

The punishment is a little harsh, but he did knowingly violate a FAR and was caught.

Had an inspector caught it, in theory, the guy could have lost his license.

What FAR was violated? How did you come to the conclusion that he "knowingly" violated an FAR?

If it was an American Flag or a yellow ribbon in support of the troops do you think that anything would have been said?

I'm not going to go dig thru the thousands of pages, Bob, but you know as well as I do that just about anything affixed to the airframe (other than speed-tape, perhaps) has to be approved in advance.

When we put the original oneworld decals by the doorway, it required the FAA's sign-off, and about 15 pages of paperwork. When we put new plastic placards on the overhead bins to indicate a powerport was in that row, we had to have the FAA sign off on the change (and that was in addition to getting the actual powerports approved). When we put the retrojet livery on the 757 back in 1998, we had to have the FAA's sign-off on that as well.

Yes, it's a trivial and silly requirement, but it's still a requirement. And a violation is a violation.

And a violation is a violation.

Maybe so but not all violations are created equal, the punishment does not fit the crime.

If it was an American Flag or a yellow ribbon in support of the troops do you think that anything would have been said?

I have no idea if a month-long unpaid suspension is too harsh, but if it is, I'm certain the APA will come to his aid. That's what grievances are for, aren't they?

Me and the family are headed to LAX bright and early tomorrow on our way to Miami - my daughters have always wanted to add some decoration to the shiny AA 777s; as long as we stay away from the pitot tubes everything should be ok, right?

I have no idea if a month-long unpaid suspension is too harsh, but if it is, I'm certain the APA will come to his aid. That's what grievances are for, aren't they?

Me and the family are headed to LAX bright and early tomorrow on our way to Miami - my daughters have always wanted to add some decoration to the shiny AA 777s; as long as we stay away from the pitot tubes everything should be ok, right?

Pitot tubes AND static ports! :)

I deal with airplanes and regs since forever, and I never knew it was against FAA regs to put a sticker on. Actually never even thought about it. I've removed a few. Kinda miss the stuff under the yoke knob and the FE tables. :)

It is quite possible that the pilot in question did not "knowingly violate FAA regs"

Instead of stinking up this thread with your 3rd grade arguments, why don't you put a few on next time you're at work and find out?

I deal with airplanes and regs since forever, and I never knew it was against FAA regs to put a sticker on. Actually never even thought about it. I've removed a few. Kinda miss the stuff under the yoke knob and the FE tables. :)

It is quite possible that the pilot in question did not "knowingly violate FAA regs"
Yea, I mean the FAA does allow the ONEWORLD stickers.

If nothing else it shows a Captain lacking maturity. But then again they plastered them all over Miami on the bulletin boards. Even the box, one of the pilots put up collecting pens and pencils for under privileged kids wasn't safe from the stickers.

It ranks right up there with the FA's who etch out phrases on the placards by the video players on the 737. What a classy group of people we have working around us.

An unprofessional, ridiculous case of "acting out" on the part of the pilot.

Surely there are other ways to get a point across.