August F/a Attrition Numbers

ArtTang

Advanced
Feb 14, 2003
It looks as if a total of app. 80 f/as quit/retired/passed in August with an average seniority of 18 years. 20 f/as officially retired who had 20 years of seniority or more.

Peace,
Art tang
IMA

Art, I'm not sure what you were looking at, but the Flight Service website gives the total as 81 with 22 retirees.

From the website:

Domestic 59
Int'l 22

Avg. seniority: 18

Number of retirees: 22

Total attrition since 01JAN2005: 605

A factoid: In the 9 months from 17NOV04 (when I returned from furlough) until 17 AUG05, my seniority number dropped by exactly 800 numbers. And that's just people senior to me. Since there were between 700-750 f/as recalled last year in the 2 recalls (July04 and Nov04), that means that there are fewer f/as on the line right now than in July of 2004.

jimntx said:
Art, I'm not sure what you were looking at, but the Flight Service website gives the total as 81 with 22 retirees.

From the website:

Domestic 59
Int'l 22

Avg. seniority: 18

Number of retirees: 22

Total attrition since 01JAN2005: 605

A factoid: In the 9 months from 17NOV04 (when I returned from furlough) until 17 AUG05, my seniority number dropped by exactly 800 numbers. And that's just people senior to me. Since there were between 700-750 f/as recalled last year in the 2 recalls (July04 and Nov04), that means that there are fewer f/as on the line right now than in July of 2004.
[post="302632"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

jimntx,

How does that compare with overall capacity reduction in the last 9 months, IF ANY

NH/BB's

JIMNTX - please help understand. Did you seniority # go from say 2500 to 3300 or to 1700? When you say your number dropped are you higher on the seniority list or lower? Just trying to understand...........Thanks

ArtTang said:
It looks as if a total of app. 80 f/as quit/retired/passed in August with an average seniority of 18 years. 20 f/as officially retired who had 20 years of seniority or more.
[post="302604"][/post]​
81 is the number I posted here on Sept 2.

MK

coolflyingfool said:
JIMNTX - please help understand. Did you seniority # go from say 2500 to 3300 or to 1700? When you say your number dropped are you higher on the seniority list or lower? Just trying to understand...........Thanks
[post="302690"][/post]​

"A factoid: In the 9 months from 17NOV04 (when I returned from furlough) until 17 AUG05, my seniority number dropped by exactly 800 numbers."

Now, it generally works that if I was on furlough prior to 17NOV04, I must be junior, doesn't it? :lol: My current seniority number is 18523. There are just under 19,000 "active" f/as at AA. (To paraphrase, Pres. Clinton, define active. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Well JIMNTX - I am sorry I bothered you. As an outsider I was just trying to understand what you were saying. I see you felt the need to laugh at me so maybe I feel like not flying your airline. Have a good day.

coolflyingfool said:
Well JIMNTX - I am sorry I bothered you. As an outsider I was just trying to understand what you were saying. I see you felt the need to laugh at me so maybe I feel like not flying your airline. Have a good day.
[post="302871"][/post]​

Talk about thin skinned!!!

Maybe this will clear it up.

The most senior person is number 1.

Lets say AA had 22000 FAs prior to the layoffs. And Jim's mumber was 19323. That means that 19322 FAs at that time on the headcount were hired before Jim. However when he was recalled his number was 18523. That means that 800 people with more seniority permanently left the company either through retirement, resignation, termination or death. It means that his recall does not really indictate that the company is increasing headcount, it means the headcount went down up to 800 more, meaning that at least 800 people with more seniority left the company before he was called back .

That means in addition to the layoffs close to 5% left the company. So over a 20 year period AA could expect a complete turnover of FAs.

Bob Owens said:
Talk about thin skinned!!!

Maybe this will clear it up.

The most senior person is number 1.

Lets say AA had 22000 FAs prior to the layoffs. And Jim's mumber was 19323. That means that 19322 FAs at that time on the headcount were hired before Jim. However when he was recalled his number was 18523. That means that 800 people with more seniority permanently left the company either through retirement, resignation, termination or death. It means that his recall does not really indictate that the company is increasing headcount, it means the headcount went down up to 800 more, meaning that at least 800 people with more seniority left the company before he was called back .
[post="302894"][/post]​
Actually, Bob, that's not quite right. The loss of f/as is even more severe than you indicated.

My seniority at time of furlough, 02JUL2003: 21,000+
My seniority at time of recall, 17NOV2004: 19,323
My seniority as of 17AUG2005: 18,523

Over 2,000 f/as quit, died, retired, or got fired during the time I was on furlough. And, remember the reduction in my seniority number is not affected when people junior to me leave the company (and I understand that several of those who came back last November that are junior to me have, in fact, since quit. Something about trying to live on a f/a salary in NYC, I hear.)

You are correct, though, that the company is not increasing headcount. They are just attempting to keep the mininum number of f/as active that are needed to keep the schedule up and running.

jimntx said:
Actually, Bob, that's not quite right. The loss of f/as is even more severe than you indicated.

My seniority at time of furlough, 02JUL2003: 21,000+
My seniority at time of recall, 17NOV2004: 19,323
My seniority as of 17AUG2005: 18,523

Over 2,000 f/as quit, died, retired, or got fired during the time I was on furlough. And, remember the reduction in my seniority number is not affected when people junior to me leave the company (and I understand that several of those who came back last November that are junior to me have, in fact, since quit. Something about trying to live on a f/a salary in NYC, I hear.)

You are correct, though, that the company is not increasing headcount. They are just attempting to keep the mininum number of f/as active that are needed to keep the schedule up and running.
[post="302916"][/post]​

I was just trying to explain to CFF how seniority numbers worked. Perhaps I should have used John Doe as my example.

Latest posts