Aviator, Twa's Historic Past........

AAquila

Senior
Sep 22, 2002
For those of us who once toiled at the great airline, a great movie.

Watch it, bring along a nAAtive friend.

Yeah, I really liked the line Howard Hughes :blink: used in the movie when buying the Lockheed Constellation. "18 MILLION DOLLARS for 40 airplanes! TWA is flat broke! The airline can't afford to buy them! I guess I'll have to buy them using my own money!" :wacko:

Somethings never change. Wave of the future,of the future,of the future,of the future,of the future,of the future :wacko:

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
Yeah, I really liked the line Howard Hughes :blink: used in the movie when buying the Lockheed Constellation. "18 MILLION DOLLARS for 40 airplanes! TWA is flat broke! The airline can't afford to buy them! I guess I'll have to buy them using my own money!" :wacko:

Somethings never change. Wave of the future,of the future,of the future,of the future,of the future,of the future :wacko:
[post="236098"][/post]​

Howard Hughes and Don Carty true visionaries. ;)

Thanks Don, wherever you are.

Good movie, even non aviators think it a great story. We who were a part of it all have been blessed.

L1011Ret said:
Good movie, even non aviators think it a great story. We who were a part of it all have been blessed.
[post="236834"][/post]​
:) L1011------ Go to "Jetphoto.net." You'll find photos of our old L10's along with numerous other Aircraft!

Speaking of the Constellation, I had the pleasure of flying aboard the Constellation which was used in the film--I was a member of "Save A Connie" which is now the Airline History Museum at Kansas City. This beautiful airplane was restored after being found in the Arizona Desert, and is currently flying to airshows and exhibits around the country.

I had the pleasure of flying her from Kansas City to JFK and of being a host/guide aboard her for TWA's 75th Anniversary in June of 2000. I met a great bunch of people.....I wish you all the very best.

Happy New Year to all AA'ers and former TWA'ers....

One thing the low cost carriers will never have are the visionaries of aviation history.

Eastern had Eddie Rickenbacker, Pan AM had Juan Trippe, TWA had Howard Hughes.

The only thing that JetBlue's Neeleman can lay claim to is offering people a TV at every seat and low fares.

Hopeful said:
One thing the low cost carriers will never have are the visionaries of aviation history.

Eastern had Eddie Rickenbacker, Pan AM had Juan Trippe, TWA had Howard Hughes.

The only thing that JetBlue's Neeleman can lay claim to is offering people a TV at every seat and low fares.
[post="239614"][/post]​
I think Herb Kelleher could be viewed as some one who had a vision and made Good on it. Soutwest has never lost a nickel and have one of the highest union workforces with some of the best pay and bennys, yep sounds like the Leadership over there did something right :up:

Ya know, in a sense Lorenzo was an airline builder. He sure gobbled up an awful lot of airlines.

And I don't see why Neeleman needs to be disparaged for his vision. It was more than just offering TV at every seat and low fares. It was also recognizing and proving that you don't have to be Southwest to be successful. In many ways, Neeleman may leave a more lasting legacy than Rickenbacker (though probably not Trippe).

And, let's not forget that one of Howard Hughes's legacies was almost destroying TWA by insisting upon buying a bunch of Connies when the competition was getting 707s and DC-8s...because he happened to have a huge stake in Lockheed. Sorta similar to stuff that Lorenzo did to Eastern.

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
The history books will show that FRANK LORENZO was the true visionary. He was an airline builder! :down:
[post="239632"][/post]​
<_< Let's not forget "Uncle Carl Icahn"!!!!!! :down:

All that Neeleman and Kelleher, have done is to strip the airline traveling experience of any civility. They are not visionaries, merely strip-down artists.

Yes; the 'grey-hound' crowd has finally sprung wings.

But Neeleman flies AirFrance F/C to CDG and Kelleher BA F/C to LHR.

In short Americans will have no choice in the future but to fly a non-American carrier when traveling outside the US, if they want better service.

Sad; when you can see in movies like Aviator that Americans, who pioneered F/C Airline Travel, now must take a ' coach seat '. :(

Neeleman and Kelleher, in my book, are both visionaries. Kelleher saw the demand and need for basic, low-cost air travel. Many people would still never have flown if it wasn't for him and Southwest.

Neeleman had a different vision -- that low-cost did not need to be no-frills. For FFers who value their upgrades to the exclusion of everything else, neither WN or B6 offer them anything, but for everyone else, both Neeleman and Kelleher and their airlines offered a lot. B6's product is still superior to the economy class product of every other US carrier bar none (leg room, entertainment, food options).

Possible the most visionary thing about Herb and Dave is that, unlike the leaders of most other carriers, blinded by fancy revenue management QSI models, Herb and Dave never lost sight of the concept of "value for money". Something where DL, belatedly, seems to have finally seen the light.

On the visionaries, you might want to add Fred Smith (FedEx) -- creator of the hub and spoke system that provided the business model for all the lagcy carriers, but is now their achilles heel as well.

SVQLBA said:
On the visionaries, you might want to add Fred Smith (FedEx) -- creator of the hub and spoke system that provided the business model for all the lagcy carriers, but is now their achilles heel as well.
[post="242254"][/post]​

While Fred Smith gets to take credit for refining the hub/spoke concept, especially the idea of the hyper-complex, they didn't invent it. That honor really goes to the CAB. The way they assigned route authorities for the southeast, by default, both Delta and Eastern had hub/spoke networks in place at ATL long before FedEx took to the skies.