AVP mainline

sidelined70

Aug 14, 2007
I saw that Piedmont is hiring a bunch of customer service agents in AVP. Isn't the inside there mainline?

I saw that Piedmont is hiring a bunch of customer service agents in AVP. Isn't the inside there mainline?
this would not surprise or shock me at all. But if I remember correctly, the inside is mainline agents, just as is ABE ORF and a number of other cities. But if true, what is the CWA doing about it and what will happen to the other cities? I wouldnt be shocked, given the company track history to see other cities with mainline inside go to EN. SAD :angry: :angry:

Unless AVP is cut aircraft on 50 seats or fewer, it has to stay mainline or mainline express. No more E-170s/175s if they were to do that (which does not mean they won't). The scope clause relating to a/c size and the MLE provision continue to be wide misunderstood. As bad of a job CWA has done in many respects, they were able to draw the line a 50 seats. Good thing they did, or all those CRJ-700/900 and E-170/175 flights would have the station agent jobs outsourced.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that PDT was awarded the ground handling for another carrier.

Relax all you CWA ABOVE THE WING CRONIES!

Once again Piedmont was awarded the contract to Ameican Airlines both Above and Below the wing services! Just as in being awarded MDT Piedmont was the most appealing to AMR. Now lets get those AA / US merger rumors stoking up again!

For the time being, mainline is in control of a number of smaller cities, including AVP and PIT. But, don't expect mainline to keep control for much longer. US Airways is quietly transitioning PIT to Piedmont, both below the wing and above the wing. The PIT Ramp Duty Manager used to be the Piedmont ramp hub director in PHL, and she was brought in to clean up the house and make an orderly transition to Piedmont when the company reduces mainline flying to the minimum level required to outsource. From what I've been told, conditions in PIT have never been worse. Morale is at an all time low, with both union and management level personnel, and it is all by design. This is part of a long term plan that was put in place after PSA was removed as the above/below the wing contractor for US Airways Express operations in PIT. I give the company about 3 to 6 more months and they will pull the plug on mainline operations so they can bring Piedmont in to run the entire operation.

This is part of a long term plan that was put in place after PSA was removed as the above/below the wing contractor for US Airways Express operations in PIT. I give the company about 3 to 6 more months and they will pull the plug on mainline operations so they can bring Piedmont in to run the entire operation.

Only if they plan on only flying 50 seaters and smaller to PIT.

No. Shirley, they can fly ALL Repugnant 170's and 175's to the hubs in PHL, CLT, and soon, DCA, and they will not violate any IAM or FSA contracts by doing so. This is their plan.

They would violate the CWA contract. Two flights @ day with 50+ seats is all that is allowed for outsourced stations. Amazing that CWA, for all its faults, has better scope language than ALPA or IAM.

They would violate the CWA contract. Two flights @ day with 50+ seats is all that is allowed for outsourced stations. Amazing that CWA, for all its faults, has better scope language than ALPA or IAM.

Okay. So what would keep US from violating the contract and letting it grind through litigation for several years? Once they have worn everyone down, they will pounce on the opportunity to turn PIT over to Piedmont. The writing is on the wall and it's only a matter of time before they pull mainline flights out of PIT so they can deploy the aircraft on more profitable routes.

Unless AVP is cut aircraft on 50 seats or fewer, it has to stay mainline or mainline express....

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that PDT was awarded the ground handling for another carrier.

Maybe US is downgrading all of their AVP service to DASH's and CR2's??? (Wouldn't surprise me.)

A couple of other noteworthy items about AVP:

AA Eagle is beginning ORD-AVP service in June.

CO's service at AVP is contracted to Comair. As of December, which was the last time I flew out of AVP, CO was still using Comair, even though they had already switched to the *A. Perhaps they are now contracting Piedmont?

A couple of other noteworthy items about AVP:

AA Eagle is beginning ORD-AVP service in June.

CO's service at AVP is contracted to Comair. As of December, which was the last time I flew out of AVP, CO was still using Comair, even though they had already switched to the *A. Perhaps they are now contracting Piedmont?

I know this is slightly off-topic, but FWIW, I have complained to CO repeatedly about the lousy Comair service at AVP. It's run like a third-world banana republic. I made it very clear that US runs a very professional operation at AVP, with great agents and ground service operations. Since CO is now in the *A, I strongly recommended that CO outsource to US. I would hate to think of US lowering its standards at AVP, if this is indeed what this thread portends.

Back