Basic Principles of a Union

Is Democracy and Accountability Achieveable in the TWU Intl.?

• I agree with Mr. Owen's statement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I do not agree with Mr. owen's statement.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
Bob Owens said, "I know what I want, what you want I'm not so sure. I want accountability, accessibility and transparency from my Local as well as the International union. I want recall, I want direct elections or an accountable voting system put in place for Conventions as well as Local E-board meetings. I want to know how those who vote in my name vote. I want open negotiations where the members are allowed to witness negotiations. I believe that these things are whats needed to change the TWU into a real union instead of simply a dues collection agency that employs cast out Local officials with phony college degrees. Are you for all those things Peter?"

I agree 100%! What do you think?

I agree as well. However I have ZERO confidence we`ll ever achieve that level of transperancy or accountability within the twu. After all isn`t the twu nothing but a business we are forced to subsidize? They certainly fail by any measure of a union. Just my 2 cents.

Why not just read the facts instead of stating opinions?

The TWU International Constitution Convention Minutes for 1989,1993,1997,2001,and 2005 are suppposed to be available for members to read, they also tell via court reporter transcript exactly what has been attempted in terms of change for the TWU, these mintues also will make it clear to anyone willing to read how the change has been thwarted convention after convention.

Someone should make a motion at every local to obtain a copy of these past convention minutes from the International and then copies be made and provided for evey member to read. Best thing to do would be to have them distributed at work and then during breaks and lunches the members will read and discuss together the content. If this were to happen, I think the "new reformers" that always show up without facts would be reduced.

Why not just read the facts instead of stating opinions?

The TWU International Constitution Convention Minutes for 1989,1993,1997,2001,and 2005 are suppposed to be available for members to read, they also tell via court reporter transcript exactly what has been attempted in terms of change for the TWU, these mintues also will make it clear to anyone willing to read how the change has been thwarted convention after convention.

Someone should make a motion at every local to obtain a copy of these past convention minutes from the International and then copies be made and provided for evey member to read. Best thing to do would be to have them distributed at work and then during breaks and lunches the members will read and discuss together the content. If this were to happen, I think the "new reformers" that always show up without facts would be reduced.

Have you made the motion at your local and what was the result?

Bob Owens said, "I know what I want, what you want I'm not so sure. I want accountability, accessibility and transparency from my Local

I agree 100%! What do you think?

I agree 100% as well Ken. The problem is that this same statement has been said about every union, with the exception of a very few, for the past thirty or so years and yet nothing has changed. Why is tht Ken? For two years now you guys have been bashing the TWU but done nothing except continue to give them your hard earned money.

I agree 100% as well Ken. The problem is that this same statement has been said about every union, with the exception of a very few, for the past thirty or so years and yet nothing has changed. Why is tht Ken? For two years now you guys have been bashing the TWU but done nothing except continue to give them your hard earned money.
Arent you the scab who helped the company break a union that provided all those things over at NWA?

pto,

Will you ever become educated and well informed when you attempt to make a statement concerning issues on this BB? Visit Local 565's web site and see if you notice anything. With your being a SCAB you might ask someone to assist you in what it means to be a pro-union person.

An example of "clouded perception".

Stepping out and supporting proposed agenda before learning the principles of the task at hand :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An example of "clouded perception".

Stepping out and supporting proposed agenda before learning the principles of the task at hand :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Would that be like wearing 2008 TWU Negotiations shirts without ever receiving copies of union or company proposals and instead infrequently being given a printed "summary"?

I think this is exactly your definition. Simple term would blind support.

Hey Scabinator!

Did I tell you that you suck?

:p

Back