Benefits Question

AMFAMAN

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
FURPVILLE
As a twu mis-represented worker, I am obligated to buy the twu Long Term Disability Plan, AA won't even sell us their plan. I would like to know what it costs the other work groups through the Flex Benefits AA LTD plan and what it covers. Thanks in advance for any info.

AMFAMAN said:
As a twu mis-represented worker, I am obligated to buy the twu Long Term Disability Plan, AA won't even sell us their plan. I would like to know what it costs the other work groups through the Flex Benefits AA LTD plan and what it covers. Thanks in advance for any info.
[post="309474"][/post]​

No you are not obligated to buy the TWUs plan.

The plan is overly expensive when you consider the size of the account and the fact that most of the costs are absorbed by the union.

The older you are the less value the plan has.

The TWU negotiated away the company's plan. Later Sonny Hall had the TWU offer the plan through his son, who worked for the company that handled it. Most of the associated costs such as contacting new hires, postage, time to gather info and send it out was dumped on the locals, thereby maximizing the commision for whomever was entitled to it. The locals were not reimbursed for their expenses related to the plan. In return for their efforts the company that collects all the fees sends a case of oranges once a year to the locals, it might cover postage but not the other costs.

In other words Union dues are being used to subsidize the plan even though a "for profit" company makes huge profits from the plan and the rates are not that great. The union will often cite how expensive it would be for an individual to buy such insurance however this is a group plan and as such should be much more affordable. Note the difference between the FAs and us, if that figure is correct-$16.68/ month vs the TWU $17/WEEK.

For years the TWU tried to sell STD to AA workers with little success. With the 80day IOD bank and the ability to accumulate 12 sick days per year there was really no need to pay for a plan that was very unlikely to ever pay off. Thats one of the reasons why the TWU got rid of the 80 day IOD bank and reduced our sick time allottment. If you recall, within weeks of the concessions we recieved STD literature in the mail.

I suspect that since Sonnys sons death he made some sort of arrangement to have commissions from the sale of insurance by the TWU to its members, where the expenses that are usually handled by the broker are instead absorbed by the locals, to be directed to his sons widow and his two granddaughters. While its not as bad as if he used it to buy himself another home in Sag Harbor its still inapropriate. No one can begrudge trying to help out a widow and her kids, especially if they are relatives. However Sonny has plenty of money, that should not be used as an excuse to rip off members. The union should be trying to get us the best deal possible where the expenses of the local are factored into the rate-thus lowering the amount the members pay.

Sonnys promotion of insurance plans, some of which are pure rip offs resulted in at least one lawsuit. I believe what happened is that Sonny was selling disability insurance to retirees. The thing is that disability insurance only pays towards lost wages. If you are retired you collect a pension, not wages, so Sonny had these former members paying into a plan they could never collect from.

Insurance has become a handy sideline for the TWU. They negoiate away benifits from the members then sell them insurance. The TWU International has the Locals spend money on postage and lost time and the International and who ever collects the commisions, quite possibly Sonny or his relatives. It also provides some jobs for lackeys who served the International so well that they (the lackeys) cant get re-elected by their peers.

When I say obligated I meant, buy the twu plan or have to get my own plan, no choice to buy the companies plan which apparently is much cheaper.

FA Mikey said:
For FA's its 16.68 a month
[post="309528"][/post]​
Thanks for the info...Do you know when it kicks in and at what percentage. I believe the twu plan is after 6 months and at 60% minus any other disability payments.

I just did my benefits enrollment and for me (a F/A) it was $24.12 a month, same as last year.

AMFAMAN said:
Thanks for the info...Do you know when it kicks in and at what percentage. I believe the twu plan is after 6 months and at 60% minus any other disability payments.
[post="309558"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AMFAMAN,

Pretty sure It's 6 mo/"50"% minus any other disability payments !!

NH/BB's

Bob Owens said:
Insurance has become a handy sideline for the TWU. They negoiate away benifits from the members then sell them insurance. The TWU International has the Locals spend money on postage and lost time and the International and who ever collects the commisions, quite possibly Sonny or his relatives. It also provides some jobs for lackeys who served the International so well that they (the lackeys) cant get re-elected by their peers.
[post="309533"][/post]​

:shock:

That's an unbelievable tale of mistreatment. But don't get me wrong; I believe you.

I honestly can't tell which entity has screwed you guys more - the TWU or AMR. Close call, IMO.

At least AA doesn't make you shop at the company store like the TWU does.

What the hell got into the heads of the mechanics in the 1940s (or whenever the TWU was voted in)?!? Did the TWU provide local leaders with hookers, booze and bags of cash? Whatever it was, it is shameful.

IORFA said:
I just did my benefits enrollment and for me (a F/A) it was $24.12 a month, same as last year.
[post="309577"][/post]​

Thanks for the info...The reason I asked is that I'm sick and tired of paying around $70 a month and my only other option is an outside plan of around $80 a month. Although I'll complain just as much as the next guy, I would rather pay AA for the LTD than a scam union such as the twu. As Bob says, it gives the twu no incentive to negotiate the benefit for the workers when we are forced to purchase it from them.

B.O.B. said:
F/A co-pays went up to $20 from $17 for the POS plan.
[post="309675"][/post]​
Same here...Payroll deduction went up another 39% to around $100 a month for married plus 1.

Our health insurance is still a good deal compared to everyone else I know. However, is the initial co-pay for the year going up for perscriptions or is it staying at $50?

Bagbelt said:
Our health insurance is still a good deal compared to everyone else I know. However, is the initial co-pay for the year going up for perscriptions or is it staying at $50?
[post="309680"][/post]​
It appears to have stayed the same but the company has changed to Merko for all prescriptions, might have to find a new pharmacy.

FWAAA said:
:shock:

What the hell got into the heads of the mechanics in the 1940s (or whenever the TWU was voted in)?!? Did the TWU provide local leaders with hookers, booze and bags of cash? Whatever it was, it is shameful.

No, it wasn't anything like that.

The TWU under Mike Quill did such a good job for the New York transit workers that the aircraft mechs thought it was a good move. PAA went first, and gained a 40 hour week. The move was neither good nor bad for AA mechs, as all the major airlines paid about the same in those days. Quill was a feisty little Irishman of very high ideals, and kept the TWU focussed and honest. Quill died in 66 or 67, and the fat cats slowly began to gain control of the TWU. In my own experience, the TWU started slipping in the late 70's and early 80's, with almost complete capitulation in 84.

The TWU has gone the way of many mature organizations in losing sight of the original objective and choosing to focus on the organization itself and individual power........And revenue. If you look around, there are others, as well.